• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New book on baking

Hi Alton,

I would like to ask how your new book about baking will be different from the other recent baking publications; Baking Illustrated and the King Arthur Companion books specifically. I have yours preordered but I wonder will all of these duplicate each other or do you have a new approach?

Thanks,

I enjoy your show and appreciate your accessibility to us fans.

Well itchyfoot, I'm Just Here For More Food will strive to illuminate a few critical issues rather than attempting to be catalogues of bakery. (I have to say right now that I think the King Arthur book is one of the best around...I'm proud to have a blurb on the back cover.) My book is about understanding the interplay between the basic ingredients and especially the ways in which they can be mixed. There will be about 80 recipes, all of which are darned tasty...especiall the pineapple upsidedown cake and the home-made poptarts. I really think of it as a companion piece to my first book, which I hope covered some old ground in some new ways.