• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China 46

Jason Perlow

Quote: from jhlurie on 12:16 pm on Dec. 30, 2001

What (approximately) did it say?

it said tommy will send you a dollar if you go out and buy the paper instead of having him summarize. ;)

actually, i'll type some of the verbiage in later for the benefit of those who don't have today's paper or don't have a way of getting it.

David Corcoran reviewed it, gave it a very good: third step down from nirvana, fifth step up from ptomaine dregs.

Loved the Shanghai casserole (pork, scallops, cellophane noodles, fish balls and nappa cabbage), seaweed dipped flounder, tiny snails, tripe,  vegetable chow fun.

Corcoran comments that some items are standard Chinese fare, no better, no worse. Other items are sublime. Liked the Beijing duck, too.

The guy sounds like he enjoys eating, and knows what he's talking about...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

China 46 has posted the NY Times Review off their main web page.  Go to http://china46.com and click on the link for the review (link says "Rated 'Very Good' by The New York Times").

The older Micronpcweb China 46 website mentioned previously in this thread seems to still exist, but not be updated.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In the NJ section of the NYT today, letter to the editor:

"To the Editor:

I too have enjoyed many of the dishes your reviewer described at China 46 (Restaurants, Dec. 30).  However, I was shocked when he failed to mention who the master chef behind those exquisite dishes was.  He kept on mentioning Mr. Wang, the owner.  However, I do not think Mr. Wang even knows how to cook.  I am pretty sure the dishes were not prepared by him.

The master chef behind the dishes that your reviewer and his guests enjoyed is my father, Chi Sing Lau, known as Peter.  I think credit should be given where credit is due.  The next time a reviewer writes about a restaurant and then rates it very good, he or she should find out who prepared the dishes"

Peter Lau Jr.

NY,NY

My guess would be that Mr. Corcoran, after eating at the restaurant, called up on the phone and asked for details.  How much he was told would probably depend on who he managed to get through to when he called... correct?  My guess is that the phone was given to Mr. Wang (who at a minimum must have a talent for picking a good chef :) ).  It's pretty easy to be evasive with a language barrier too... I'll bet all he had to say (when asked about Chefs) was something along the lines of "we have many fine chefs".

But Mr. Lau Jr. has every right to be proud of his father.  Good for him for letting the Times know, and good for them for printing his letter, even if Mr. Corcoran's otherwise fine review got, er... roasted a bit.

(Edited by jhlurie at 12:56 pm on Jan. 5, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

This is our favorite Chinese restaurant.  The variety and quality of dishes can not be found anywhere in Northern Jersey unless you go to Chinatown.  Almost everything we've tried is very good.  We especially like the Ruby Pork (which my mother used to make, just not as good...sorry mom) and the fish.  The dumplings are good, casseroles and  I would suggest trying the more authentic Chinese dishes and staying away from the "American" dishes on the back.  If you are going to try a foreign cuisine, than you should try the real thing.  It is silly going to a French restaurant and ordering a NY strip steak as it is going to a good Chinese place and getting fried rice, chow mein sweet & sour pork, pepper steak, beef & broccoli, etc.  While some of these may be good they are all "Americanized" dishes...

• 2 weeks later...

we've been dying to go back to china 46, and this weekend we made it happen.  we also brought along 7 friends to enjoy and fuel the feeding frenzy.

tigertech mentions the ruby pork as a favorite.  it was indeed fantastic.  my friends are still talking about it.  a huge pork shoulder that is cooked for hours.  they brought out toasted sesame buns that are not mentioned on the menu.  the pork is meant to be put in these buns, making for delicious sandwich type goodies.

the dungeness crab with garlic and cilantro was fabulous (again).  served over wide rice noodles.

the trip and ox tongue was interesting.  this is a really spicy dish, and it was delicious.

we also had a fish ball casserole of some sort (i think it's called shanghai casserole), which is a huge pot of vegetables, broth, and fish balls.

flounder came out in the form of fried fish balls, served on top of the whole empty carcass.  quite a presentation and delicious.

cecil, the owner, was very accomadating, recommending dishes and adding extras here in there.  one dish came out on the house, although i forget what it was!

the servers were very attentive.  i think that they were just as fascinated with our large loud drunken table as we were with the food.  we all had a good time, giving the kitchen a round of applause when sampling some dishes.  they seemed to enjoy this and even joined in in clapping at one moment.  

the best part:  25 bucks a head.

needless to say, we'll be back.  haven't had any type of duck there yet.  maybe next weekend.

i forgot to mention the salt and pepper shrimp.  huge plump juicy shrimp crusted with a bit of salt and pepper.  you eat the shells and all.  absolutely fabulous.

and...that 25 bucks a head, was including a 30% tip!  the meal for 9 ppl before tip was under 170 bucks.  i would have a hard time feeding 9 people at home for that cost.  

• 2 weeks later...

At dinner tonight Cecil gave us a flyer with China 46's Chinese New Year menu.

I thought I'd reproduce it here for those who can't wait until the eGullet Dinner here on April 7th!

Year of the Horse Celebration

(served February 8 - 17, 2002)

ห.95 Per Person (Min of 2 people)

Appetizers served as:

Cold - Spice & Tangy Cabbage, Jellyfish, and Spicy Capsicum Shrimp

Hot - Baked Mini Pork Bun, Har Kaw (Shrimp Dumpling), and Vegetable Pocket

Choice of Soup:

- Sharks Fin w. Crab Meat Soup

- Hot & Sour Soup with Seafood

- Minced Beef Soup

Main Course: (Choose one of the 12 items. Served w. House Fried Rice)

1. Crispy Rainbow Sea Bass

2. Mango Jumbo Shrimp

3. Braised Duck w. Vegetables

4. Seaweed Dipped Flounder

5. Pepper and Salt Shrimp

6. Hunan Lobster

7. Sizzling Salmon Steak

8. Saute Clam w. Fresh Basil

9. Mango Chicken

10. Scallop & Shrimp Hunan Style

11. Saute Shrimps in Two Flavors

12. Saute Chunked Filet Mignon Bedded w. Green Vegetables

(Edited by RPerlow at 10:44 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

• 1 month later...

we enjoyed another fantastic meal at china 46 tonite.  this time with jason and rachel perlow and jhlurie.  

as usual, our host Cecil was accommodating, and brought out a few "extras".  the highlight of the dinner was when mrs. tommy tried to "out-nerd" the rest of the table by pulling out a blackberry.  jason perlow, sensing a challenge, quickly countered by imitating, perfectly, just about every sound from the original Star Trek (table favorite:  the sound when people turn into completely different things..."ba-wha-wha-wha-wha-wha-wha").  luckily jhlurie convinced jason to not break into battlestar galactica sounds, as he would have out-nerded us for dinners to come at that point...and not a moment too soon.  the "spock falls in love" bit was good as well, if not a little creepy.  luckily, we didn't hear the "hippy spock" song, from the episode with those people who were searching for eden.  luckily.

i'm still giggling over the note-for-note "ba-wha-wha-wha-wha".

oh yeah, and the food was really good too.

Its more like a "Bwaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg!"

You, know, the sound from the device that reduces you into your constituent minerals.

This is a site where you can get all kinds of clips

Star Trek Sounds

unfortunately, no Bwaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

We are continually impressed by China 46. Jason and I had dinner there last night, and only had items we hadn't had before. We ordered Kung Po Chicken, Seaweed Dusted Fried Shrimp, and Fresh Bamboo with Shitake Mushrooms. In addition, Cecil brought out what I think was sauteed baby Ruby Chard. I initially thought beet greens, but Cecil said no, I suppose it could be either, but it is definitately a "baby" green as there were no tough stems.

The Kung Po Chicken wasn't quite what we are used to as Kung Po chicken (not as much veg and only white meat chicken). But it was still one of the best versions ever. Highly seasoned, spicy but not killer hot.

The Seaweed Dusted Fried Shrimp were delicious and tender. They were smallish shrimp, not the jumbo ones from most of the shrimp dishes we've previously described. This is just a huge plate of fried shrimp, so it would be better shared by at least 4 people. Too much for just two and since fried things don't reheat well, it wasn't worth taking home the leftovers.

In contrast, the veggie dishes reheated very well. I just had some of the other three dishes for lunch (I still have another lunch's worth, lots of leftovers this time!). The Ruby Chard was a very good sauteed green, order it if you are in the mood for that sort of thing. However, the Bamboo Shoots with Shitake Mushrooms was fantastic. The best preparation of Shitake Mushrooms ever. It was also the most expensive thing we ordered ($16.95), which we didn't know in advance, but it hardly breaks the bank. This is apparently because of the cost and waste factor of preparing the fresh bamboo.

We also re-confirmed the "don't order anything from the 'Rich Tradition in America' section of the menu" rule. I ordered regular wonton soup and Jason had the hot & sour. Boring, normal, just OK. Oh well, I learned once again to just trust Cecil! :biggrin:

Edited by RPerlow (log)

some of those other soups are so good, i wouldn't order anything but.  the "Exotic Green w. Pork & Tofu" is just so fantastic, my friends proclaim "i could eat this every, single, day, for dinner!"  

i'm not sure if we (rachel, jason, etc) had this together or not, but do try it if you haven't.  i'm still so darned excited about this place.  :smile:

i've brought probably 12 people to china 46 all totaled, and every one was very impressed.  more than impressed.  i think "amazed" is the word.  i'm just great. :biggrin:

p.s.  we were about 1/2 a second from going there for dinner last night too, but decided to go home.  we ordered regular old boring chinese...which was just horrible.  :sad:

Edit: Fixed some code. RPerlow

Edited by RPerlow (log)

OK, at the risk of having all of my future comments not read by anyone on this board, i will tell of my thoughts after a second trip to China 46.

I will start off by saying that the food is good, not the best i've ever had (which would be reserved for "Hong Hing" in Westwood which closed after the partners decided to retire), but China 46 is indeed better than your average chinese restaurant.  Even though, i don't think i'll be back a third time.

The first time i was there was about 3 months ago, and the meal was good and uneventful, EXCEPT for a fight that broke out at the register!  A couple was paying and apparently the wife said something negative, to which Cecil(??) raised his voice in response to her.  The woman then raised her voice, and then Cecil raised his voice and in the process told the woman to "shut up."  At which point her husband got involved and yelled, "Don't tell my wife to shut up, you apologize to her."  Meanwhile, the wife is yelling, "Don't tell me to shut up, you shut up" and Cecil is screaming back at both of them!  I don't know who was right/wrong in the whole situation, but i DO KNOW that an owner of a restaurant sometimes has to swallow his/her pride and sometimes just say "thank you for letting me know" when you really want to give the customer a piece of your mind.  An owner should never be seen fighting with a customer OR an employee while other diners are in the restaurant.

So even with the above situation which we thought was a just a fluke, we decided to return for Mother's day as the food was decent, and we thought it would be a nice place that wouldn't have a "special holiday menu."  We were a party of 5, and when we arrived we asked to sit in the room to the left (which is less 'diner-like').  We were told that room was all booked up for reservations (which is fine) and were seated at a table for 6 right in front of the register, near the door.  Less than 5 minutes later a family of 6 walks in, and when asked if they had a reservation they said "no", and then they were seated right away in the room to the left!  My dad got up from the table and asked Cecil(??) why we couldn't be seated in the other room too, as the family that just came in didn't have a reservation either.  Cecil wouldn't let my dad finish a sentence and kept interupting him, just like he did when he argued with the couple last time we were there (by the way, another important characteristic of a good restaurant owner is one that LISTENS to his customer).  Cecil tries to "cover" by saying that since we sat down they had a cancellation and that's why the other family was able to sit in the other room.  However, my dad quickly points out that the phone hasn't rung in the 5 minutes since we sat down... so how did they receive this 'mysterious' cancellation!  So Cecil reconsiders, says he'll see what he could do, and in less than 30 seconds we were reseated in the other room.

The whole experience left a bad taste in our mouths before we even ate a bite.  Additionally, they forgot to bring out two orders of spare ribs which we asked for with the appetizers, so they were just brought out with the rest of the entrees.  I also noticed that all the Asian customers received a small dish of green vegetable when they sat down, while we (and other "caucasian" diners) received nothing.  I'm sure the Egullet "regulars" that visit this restaurant receive this "special treatment"  and "extra dishes" as well, but nobody likes to go to a restaurant and feel like they are getting second-tier service relative to others.

So go ahead and let the rotten eggs and tomatoes fly, but that has been my experience at this place which others on this board consider a Mecca.  Maybe i'll go back WITH one of you OR wearing some Egullet memorabilia, at which point maybe i'll be treated better and will join the ranks of those that give China 46 high accolades.