• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China 46

Jason Perlow

I know, I know. We went at 230 and the buffet ended at 3.. The place looked like it was recovering from the rush. The dumplings were really good.. My girl's aunt and uncle live in the area, I would definitely try the dim sum..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I know, I know. We went at 230 and the buffet ended at 3.. The place looked like it was recovering from the rush. The dumplings were really good.. My girl's aunt and uncle live in the area, I would definitely try the dim sum..

Never a good time to try to experience a restaurant at its best... I think you need to give it another shot.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree and should have stated in my original post..I still have a question about that cellophane dish.. What temp is the dish served normally. I am a big ants climbing a tree fan and was expecting something like that.. The luke warm confused me..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Lukewarm. Its actually a cold dish, but if they have to make it fresh for you rather than having it out on the buffet, it will be somewhat higher than room temp.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 7 months later...
I'm happy to report that China 46 finally has a printed page of the specials that they are handing out with the regular menu. And the food is as good as ever.

I must have asked Cecil a hundred times to do this and did mention it in a couple of my earlier posts. Finally, he has seen the light. I only hope that he will get more people to come without that rediculous stand at the door. Yes, the food is as good as ever but he is still very slow whenever we go there.

Hank

• 3 months later...

I have eaten here at least two dozen times and the last 3 times I was very disappointed. The food is not as good and the service is much worse. It was not crowded either time. It was my favorite in Bergen county and I'm not happy. Is it because it is the summer?

I also resent that he treats non asians differently than asians. Why does he give every asian table seaweed when they walk in and we get fried noodles and duck sauce. Last time I refused the noodles and forgot about the seaweed. It made me very upset when the next people( 20 minutes later) were served the seaweed. same thing when we are given oranges and everyone else gets red bean soup. At least offer it to us after we order ma po tofu, chinese broccoli, and a casserole. It's not like we ordered shrimp in lobster sauce. And after 20 or so visits, he still has never said anything to us. All this would not keep me from returning, as you can see, but the food is not the same. Salt and pepper shrimp and S & P squid were dull, ma po dofu was like from a jar. Even the whole fish was not very meaty. I want to continue to love this place but I can't.

I have eaten here at least two dozen times and the last 3 times I was very disappointed.  The food is not as good and the service is much worse.  It was not crowded either time.  It was my favorite in Bergen county and I'm not happy.  Is it because it is the summer?

I also resent that he treats non asians differently than asians. Why does he give every asian table seaweed when they walk in and we get fried noodles and duck sauce.  Last time I refused the noodles and forgot about the seaweed.  It made me very upset when the next people( 20 minutes later)  were served the seaweed.  same thing when we are given oranges and everyone else gets red bean soup.  At least offer it to us after we order ma po tofu, chinese broccoli, and a casserole.  It's not like we ordered shrimp in lobster sauce.  And after 20 or so visits, he still has never said anything to us.  All this would not keep me from returning, as you can see, but the food is not the same.  Salt and pepper shrimp and S & P squid were dull, ma po dofu was like from a jar.  Even the whole fish was not very meaty.  I want to continue to love this place but I can't.

One word and one number for you: Chengdu 1 (Cedar Grove, NJ) See thread on same

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

while Chengdu 1 is definitely exciting and delicious, comparing a restaurant that specializes in Shanghainese cuisine with one that focuses on Sichuan cooking is like comparing Amazing Hot Dog to Rutt's Hut. :wink:

i'm quite known to the folks at China 46 as a regular customer. even then, sometimes i'm served the fried wonton. i politely refuse them and say that i want the seaweed. i can't imagine giving that transaction a second of thought beyond that.

thanks tommy and i respect your opinion. i probably was overreacting, but i still think everyone deserves the same service. more importantly, have you been there in the last 6 weeks and has it gone downhill?

i  probably was overreacting, but i still think everyone deserves the same service. 

No, you're not overreacting. I agree; everyone deserves the same service.

There was a (mildly-heated) thread about this topic a few months ago; suffice to say it seems I'm in the minority point of view (at least compared to the other egullet members who posted.) Nevertheless, I try not to patronize restaurants that do this.

i  probably was overreacting, but i still think everyone deserves the same service. 

No, you're not overreacting. I agree; everyone deserves the same service.

There was a (mildly-heated) thread about this topic a few months ago; suffice to say it seems I'm in the minority point of view (at least compared to the other egullet members who posted.) Nevertheless, I try not to patronize restaurants that do this.

But they're not serving fried noodles to non-Asians to stiff them or give them inferior food...it's because they think that they prefer them over seaweed. If you go there enough and request the seaweed every time, they will remember.

I remember that thread, it was about the two menus at Hunan Cottage.

Issues like this are hard to debate without making sweeping generalizations: "Chinese restaurant owners give more 'authentic' treatment to Chinese/Asian people," "white people have no right to claim racial discrimination," etc.

I think it boils down to this: there are assumptions being made about white customers and food preferences, and I'd be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I agree with Pete; this seems more like a question of a restaurant trying to cater to what it believes its customers will prefer. If you request the seaweed or the red bean soup, do they provide it?

I've heard of instances where waiters will say "You won't like that" when a non-Chinese person orders something like chicken feet, duck webbings, etc. I do acknowledge that there may be bias present in statements like that, but the end result is whether or not a restaurant caters to their customers' needs and requests as best as possible. It's part of the business and it needs to be part of being a restaurant owner.

I would resent being denied service because of my race, but is service truly being denied here?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

6 dumplings for 2 people? i prefer 1 dumpling per person. maybe 2. i found that they were serving too many and i'd just be wasting food, or eating way too much of one thing, neither a preferable option in my mind. i like the variety. you can always ask for more when you order. it's all included in the price after all. personally i load up on that thousand year old egg and tofu dish. that stuff kills.

service is usually attrocious, and runs throughout the range of employees there, from the servers to the owners. although the owners do seem to care a little bit, they have never greeted me with even the slightest bit of enthusiasm or warmth, or appreciation for my patronage.

I have to agree one hundred percent with this assesment. The service is literally laughable. We have looked at each other when the server walked away and chuckled at the servers non chalant lack of enthusiasm. It is especially irksome when they all disappear when you need something. On the other hand, when there is a larger Asian only table, the service seems to be much more attentive and professional. Perhaps because it has to be...more dishes, more thought. In all honesty, neither of us really care as it is what we have come to expect there. The charm of the place :wacko: Oh, and I always ask for the seaweed which they delivered promptly. The owners are never gracious by any means. However, I typcially do not expect the owners of a restaurant to remember me, unless they are always there to greet you when you arrive (which is usually the case here..but we really don't care) We continued to go because the food usually comes out as ordered in a timely manner, and is typically pretty good. Better than other Chinese in the area by far. Unfortunately, we have not been going lately as Tom feels the food has been uneven and greasier. I continued to enjoy what I usually ordered.

I've been there about three times, all for the Sunday brunch/buffet. Whenever we order something off the brunch menu, it's usually pretty quick and the service has been attentive. I haven't ordered off the regular menus yet, maybe there's a different group of staff on weekends?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I've been there about three times, all for the Sunday brunch/buffet.  Whenever we order something off the brunch menu, it's usually pretty quick and the service has been attentive.  I haven't ordered off the regular menus yet, maybe there's a different group of staff on weekends?

If you've only been there for the brunch and have not ordered off the menu (and mainly the printed specials menu), then you're really missing out on what this place has to offer.

I know. O_O I haven't had the time to head out there during the week, and I keep trying my usual dining suspects to head out with me. It's way up on our list, but I have to fight off the inevitable "Chinatown's closer" argument. >_< It's not easy. I really want to try some of the lamb things people have mentioned.

• 1 month later...

Rut Roh.

Let's hope it's just an extended vacation.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Rut Roh.

Let's hope it's just an extended vacation.

Really sorry to hear that.

We didn't go there that often as it was a little out of the way for just a quick, altho memorable, meal. I wonder if the location was a problem.

Where ever Cecil and his wife are --- I wish them well.

Link to the official word from Cecil is on tommy:eats

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

This is very sad news indeed.

The blog entry from Second Helpings states:

China 46 had a nine-year lease, but a few months ago, the property owners offered Wang a deal to vacate the property early, he said. "They wanted to develop the site and asked us to give up the lease," he said.

It says Cecil has no set plan for another place, but that he's considering Bergen County.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I never got a chance to have the regular menu there, just the Sunday dim sum. D:

Here's hoping he keeps the menu intact!