• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China 46

Jason Perlow

Thanks for that Tracey. :laugh:

Not defending any place here, but look at any Chinese takeout menu. If you order more rice than "goes" with a dish, you get charged for it. If you order a noodle dish, it typically doesn't come with rice, unless you ask for it.

Actually, I didn't know that C46 even had brown rice. I'll have to ask for it next time.

I was considering the EG event but if that's the whole menu I'm not overly impressed since I dislike squid, octopus, soft-shelled crab, anything in a shell such as a clam, oyster, etc.  If there was a different menu I'd definitely consider going or if we could order off menu or some other alternative.

BTW, the only thing on that list that is on the banquet menu is fried squid as one of the apps.

like the last poster said the quality wasn't there

Can you clarify that? How was the quality not there? That sounds like a serious generalization.

I'm not overly impressed since I dislike squid, octopus, soft-shelled crab, anything in a shell such as a clam, oyster

You've pretty much eliminated a large swath of what the restaurant specializes in. A lot of people are impressed by the restaurant because of their skillful execution of those dishes which use seafood.

I was being general as you said... just things I don't particularly like such as stuff in shells...

But as for the quality, last time I was at C46 they didn't have anything in the side woks like they used to have such as the dumpling type items with sticky rice, they didn't have the steamed buns, they usually have 3 or 4 woks or steam baskets going. The food in the trays were neutral taste at best to me, I like more flavorful dishes than tofu (though tasty there two times before when I went!) and veggie dishes. The ones that had a bit of flavor like the mein and meat and a chicken dish they were tasty but very oily, slimy almost! :shock: Not pleasant at all. Maybe if you order from the menu it is different? Anyhow I have had 2 good experiences there and 3 bad so it's really still almost a tossup at this point! It seems that you and Rachel like them alot so maybe it's just my husband and I and our friends who have found these "bad days" and maybe they'll have a good day with us again soon... let's hope!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Do they only want to serve Chinese customers in their restaurant? Of course not.

No, but I think its safe to say that Americans only represent a very small portion of their clientele.

i've noticed a fairly even distribution. "very small portion"?

not charging a repeat/regular/good customer for brown rice (even if it isn't true to the roots of the cuisine) is just good business. however, it's not an obligation.

like the last poster said the quality wasn't there

Can you clarify that? How was the quality not there? That sounds like a serious generalization.

perhaps she too has friends whose opinions on chinese and asian cuisine she trusts implicitly who told her the food has gotten greasy. :wink::laugh:

Do they only want to serve Chinese customers in their restaurant? Of course not.

No, but I think its safe to say that Americans only represent a very small portion of their clientele.

The few times I have been there (always on Sunday for brunch) we've been the only, or one of the only, tables of Americans in the place. (Last time, New Year's Day, we definitely were the only ones - I made a point to notice.)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

The few times I have been there (always on Sunday for brunch) we've been the only, or one of the only, tables of Americans in the place. (Last time, New Year's Day, we definitely were the only ones - I made a point to notice.)

i'm not surprised to see a lot of big tables of asians for dim sum.

my observations come from 4 years of visits, on weekdays, weekends, lunch, dinner, and sunday brunch.

regardless, if non-chinese stopped going to c46, they'd likely have to close the doors. using the observation that a very small portion of their customers are americans to rationalize the rice issue misses the point to my mind.

edited because i'm not entirely comfortable using the term "americans" to describe people who aren't of chinese decent in the context of this discussion. though non-chinese doesn't sound right either. :wacko:

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, as usual, hit it right on...it is just good business to offer another bowl of rice w/out charge to regular customers. When I waited tables a free drink to a good customer went a long way, and cost the restaurant pennies. A bowl of rice cost pennies, brown or white. China 46 offers an Americanized menu as well as its "Chinese" menu. Both menus are offered with a choice of brown/white rice. Being that this restaurant is in NJ, in the USA, catering to us non Asian folk as well as Asian folk might be wise. Each and every time we have gone, there are Asians and non Asian folks enjoying their food.

perhaps she too has friends whose opinions on chinese and asian cuisine she trusts implicitly who told her the food has gotten greasy.   :wink:  :laugh:

"gotten greasy" is at least a specific observation. "Quality wasn't there" is vague.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Are they having anything special going on there for the Chinese New Year in case I change my mind or decide to go to the EG and THAT event? Anyone know?  Thanks.

Yes, for example, the Lion Dancers are there for the whole restaurant, not just us. And, C46 has a special Chinese New Year menu available, that is not the same as our menu. I believe you can order off the regular menu as well. In the past, friends with small children (they are welcome, but most parents haven't wanted to impose their kids on a bunch of "strangers") or eG members with special diets have chosen to come the night of the event, but sit at their own table and order their own food. This way, you can say hi, meet some people, etc., but have control over your own menu. It's very hard to create a banquet menu for a large group that will please everyone. The Lion Dancers perform between 7 and 8 PM, so I'd recommend making your reservation for around 6:30, if you're not planning a 3 hour banquet!

What has become an annual Chinese New Year dinner at China 46 is now also a fundraiser for The eGullet Society. So we hope you choose to make a donation, even if you don't plan on attending the official event. :smile:Click here for info on where a lot of the money we raise goes.

Yes we do have a menu for Chinese New Year and yes you can order off the regular menu. I have attaced the New Year menu for those who are interested.

untitled35kg.jpg

--Cecil

Edited by MaomaoCW (log)

I was being general as you said... just things I don't particularly like such as stuff in shells... 

But as for the quality, last time I was at C46 they didn't have anything in the side woks like they used to have such as the dumpling type items with sticky rice, they didn't have the steamed buns, they usually have 3 or 4 woks or steam baskets going.  The food in the trays were neutral taste at best to me, I like more flavorful dishes than tofu (though tasty there two times before when I went!) and veggie dishes.  The ones that had a bit of flavor like the mein and meat and a chicken dish they were tasty but very oily, slimy almost!  :shock:  Not pleasant at all.  Maybe if you order from the menu it is different?  Anyhow I have had 2 good experiences there and 3 bad so it's really still almost a tossup at this point!  It seems that you and Rachel like them alot so maybe it's just my husband and I and our friends who have found these "bad days" and maybe they'll have a good day with us again soon... let's hope!

If you order off the menu, all things are freshly made once you order so it might taste better. Things on the sunday brunch are also freshly made, but sometimes they have been in the tray for a few minutes already, just like any other buffet you would visit. We strive to keep the quality of the brunch at a high level, but there are a lot a limitations since there is no possible way for us to keep the food at just-out-of-the-wok fresh. Another limitation is the price, we would love to be able to put all the things we offer on our regular menu in the buffet, but at $11.95 per person, this is just not possible. So if the buffet dissapoints you, try ordering off our menu next time. :smile:

Thanks

--Cecil

I came back to China46 with two of my friends on Thursday, Feb 02. We

had Xiao Long Bao, Beijing Duck and the House Sauteed dry beancurd and chive with 4 sesame buns. All of them are great!!

That was my joy for Chinese new year, and how about yours.. Guys?

Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Had a great dinner tonight. I had a real Chinese food newbie with me so I tried not to be to exotic. We started with the Spicy Capsicum Noodles wonderfully hot as always. Followed by because I liked the way it worked to calm the heat at the New Years dinner the Exotic Greens (with tofu and pork) Soup. This was followed by Ruby Pork with sesame buns, Beijing Duck and Eight Treasure Chicken (stuffed with sticky rice, lotus, anise, among other things) what can I say everything was great as always and now I have lunch for tmwr.

It was nice meeting Tommy and Mrs.Tommy who where also dining there.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

I came back to China46 with two of my friends on Thursday, Feb 02. We

had Xiao Long Bao, Beijing Duck and the House Sauteed dry beancurd and chive with 4 sesame buns. All of them are great!!

That was my joy for Chinese new year, and how about yours.. Guys?

Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

Gong Xi Gong Xi, Qing!!

You had one of my favorite dishes -- the House Special Saute. But I always feel bad when I order it as someone has to do an awful lot of chopping! But what good flavors. I like those chives so much!

A group of us were there for CNY last Sunday. The menu and some pictures are in one of the NJ threads.

Sui Sui Ping An!

Had a great dinner tonight. I had a real Chinese food newbie with me so I tried not to be to exotic. We started with the Spicy Capsicum Noodles wonderfully hot as always. Followed by because I liked the way it worked to calm the heat at the New Years dinner the Exotic Greens (with tofu and pork) Soup. This was followed by Ruby Pork with sesame buns, Beijing Duck and Eight Treasure Chicken (stuffed with sticky rice, lotus, anise, among other things) what can I say everything was great as always and now I have lunch for tmwr.

It was nice meeting Tommy and Mrs.Tommy who where also dining there.

So what did your real Chinese food newbie think??

You tried not to be too exotic, -----and you started off with Spicy Capsicum Noodles?????? LOL!

I did a lot of searching, but could not find a picture of the Stir Fried Shanghai Noodle dish. It is a very simple looking dish. Thick noodles, about the thickness of udon, in a brown sauce with a little spinach. That's about it, but is very delicious. Try it next time you're there. And, take a picture! :smile:

• 3 months later...

I really want to like China 46..I really like the food, usually. And they stopped charging for another bowl of brown rice it seems. We went early Friday evening before a movie. Around 6:30. Tom ordered his usual which he asks for w/out peppers. It came with peppers. We had to get up and find a waiter (they had disappeared) to return the food. It came back sans peppers...same dish. Not re-made. Tom could have picked out the peppers...he did not want the taste of the peppers in the dish. He ended up just eating his dish, not wanting to be bothered with the whole thing..and that was that. We will not be going back for some time I think. 3 strikes and all that.

I really want to like China 46..I really like the food, usually.  And they stopped charging for another bowl of brown rice it seems.  We went early Friday evening before a movie.  Around 6:30.  Tom ordered his usual which he asks for w/out peppers.  It came with peppers.  We had to get up and find a waiter (they had disappeared) to return the food.  It came back sans peppers...same dish.  Not re-made.  Tom could have picked out the peppers...he did not want the taste of the peppers in the dish.  He ended up just eating his dish, not wanting to be bothered with the whole thing..and that was that.  We will not be going back for some time I think.  3 strikes and all that.

I do have one question to ask of you and that is if you complained to ownership, either Cecil or his wife Connie? If in fact you did and they did not rectify the probelm immediately then ofcourse they are to blame, which knowing them I can hardly believe but stranger things do happen.

If in fact you did not then why shoot the horse because the wagon lost a wheel. Unfortunately too many times that is the case in restaurants and owners suffer because of poor service by a waiter or kitchen staff.

I know exactly where your husband is coming from since both my wife and I also dislike with a passion those very strong tasting peppers and always remind Cecil to please not add them to a dish we have ordered.

Hank

I wish Tom would have complained, but he didn't want to. Sometimes when going out to dinner, the last thing you want is a confrontation, no matter how easy it may be. You just want to relax.

I wish Tom would have complained, but he didn't want to.  Sometimes when going out to dinner, the last thing you want is a confrontation, no matter how easy it may be.  You just want to relax.

I know where you and your husband are coing from and I have been guilty myself in the past. But it does behove us to let management know when we have a problem so that they can rectify it and more importantly make sure that it does not happen again.

With that said I do hope that you will give them another chance as the food is very good and they deserve a break. Also, please let them know what made you unhappy so that it won't happen to anyone else and ofcourse yourselves.

Hank

Just out of curiosity, which dish with the hot peppers did he order?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Or perhaps the house special saute with the sesame buns. But that would kind of eliminate 50 percent of the dish.

Never been to C46. Guess all this publicity is good. I will make the trek sooner rather than later.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species