• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tsukemen

Norio

According to Nakano Sogo Ranking (Nakano Overall Ranking), Nakano Taishoken takes 88th place in 100 restaurants.

Two people complain that their soup is lukewarm. One person says that because of all other ramen shops that serve good tsukemen, Nakano Taishoken has lost their raison d'etre.

I use tabeblog (the site Hiroyuki posted from) all the time and am rarely disappointed. Hiroyuki's link ranked it it 88th out of 100, but keep in mind that that is all of the types of restaurants in the area.

If you do a search of Nakano and tsukemen, you get these results. In the overall ranking it is 7th out of 15. The overall ranking is based on the number of "stars". There is also a popular ranking which is based on the number of comments people have made, I don't usually pay attention to this as much but FYI Taishoken is #2 with 30 comments.

One thing that I really like about tabelog is the CP (cost performance)numbers and Taishoken has one of the highest, meaning it may be one of the best for the money.

When using this site I like to look for a good combination of a high score combined with a minimum of 10 comments preferably more. With those criteria Aobalooks to be good, it is #4 in the overall ranking and has the highest number of comments at 133.

Just one note when looking at the site, compared to English ranking sites (ie tripadvisor, etc) the Japanese tend to be very stingy with 5 stars and you will rarely see someone ranking a restaurant as a 5.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Supposing that Chris really wants to have tsukemen in and around the Nakano area and that he has no particular preferences, I think I will recommmend Sawagami, which is at the top of the list that Kristin linked to, which serves tonkotsu (pork bone)/gyokai (seafood) tsukemen.

Reason: They make noodles themselves and allow you to select the amount of noodles from 200, 300, 400, and 500 g, as described here.

If Chris prefers other types of tsukemen (soy sauce, miso, super hot, curry, etc.), then I think I can recommend other ramen shops in and around Nakano.

I'm likely to be staying in Nakano for more than a week, and so I'd be eager to hear any and all recommendations. I'm also new to tsukemen, so opine away about what I should or shouldn't do while in Tokyo. Thanks!

To answer your question, I think you should start a new thread in the Dining Forum, right? :smile: