• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Musk willow water/camel's thorn water/oxymol syrup

I was at the Persian grocery store today, and saw these unusual ingredients sitting beside the more familiar rose water and orange blossom water:

oxymol syrup

musk willow water

borage water

wild chicory water

camel's thorn water

What the heck are these things, and how are they used in cooking? The guy minding the store was not a cook so he was no help. I tried looking up the ingredients in my copies of The Legendary Cuisine of Persia and New Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking & Ceremonies, but found nothing. Google also turned up nothing. I'd really appreciate some insight from someone here. Thanks!

I was at the Persian grocery store today, and saw these unusual ingredients sitting beside the more familiar rose water and orange blossom water:

oxymol syrup

musk willow water

borage water

wild chicory water

camel's thorn water

What the heck are these things, and how are they used in cooking? The guy minding the store was not a cook so he was no help. I tried looking up the ingredients in my copies of The Legendary Cuisine of Persia and New Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking & Ceremonies, but found nothing. Google also turned up nothing. I'd really appreciate some insight from someone here. Thanks!

I am curious too and Googled some.

Oxymol Syrup (which seems to be the commercial name for Oxymel) :

oxymel

and if you Google "oxymel" and "oxymel recipe" you'll be able to find more info.

Musk Willow - is a flower. The only use I know of is to perfume potpurri.

Borage water - one site is this. There are many sites that explains borage/borage water. borage

Wild chicory water & camelthorn water - lots of informative sites turn up when you enter this in Google.

I am no Iranian but one of my neighbors is. When I have the opportunity, I could probably ask her. They are, however, at the moment, back home on a month long holiday.

Beats me, too, but I'm curious where that Persian grocery story was. Sounds like a good one!

There are a bunch of Persian grocery stores and restaurants in the north end of Toronto, in between all the Korean restaurants. Last night I was feeling peckish so I drove to one of the 24-hour Persian grocery/convenience stores to buy some Persian cookies and sweets, when I came across all these mysterious bottles.

Kew, yes please, if you get around to asking your neighbour, that would be great.

Kew, yes please, if you get around to asking your neighbour, that would be great.

I just remembered another neighbor whose husband is an Iranian. I'll try to e-mail her and see if she can help. She is the kind who does not cook and don't even know how to cook rice or fry eggs (no kidding she told me). I'll let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay ... so this one neighbor can't help. She said she only visits Iran for short times and the husband isn't a cook.

But yesterday I was at a mall and there was an 'Iranian stall' and I asked the lady if she knew what these are. She can't speak much English, and I could only remember 2 things off hand which was the camel thorn water and musk willow water. It was like 'a chicken trying to explain to a duck' LOL! I think perhaps she knows them in their own language? But she did say to come back and give her the list and she'll try to help. So .... maybe I'm going there again ... but not soon.... I'm curious too. I will keep you posted. :smile: