• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SethG - Brooklyn, Bread and Back to Business

SethG

A suggestion for the Le Creuset:

Pork roast & sauerkraut. Add dumplings later on and some fry some potato pancakes on the side. A little heavy for this time of year but that pot is perfect for it.

edited for spellling

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ah, Los Paisanos. Isn't there a Dominican restaurant next door? We had supernal pernil there once. (Couldn't pick from among all the trendy places on Smith Street, so we opted for homey.) Los Paisanos makes their own sausage, right? Colombian Chorizo?? Yum.

But I don't think I'm the type to stay home with the kids. I used to think I was, but with two it's so much more WORK. I do less work at work.

Seth, my kids would have eaten me alive (especially Heidi) if I'd been home full-time, long term when they were little. I didn't quit my job until Diana (oldest) was "old enough to be home alone" and Peter went off to kindergarten. When I heard comment that someone made that Diana was old enough to be home alone, all I could think of was that when they are old enough to be home alone is just when you don't want them home alone!

Your sentiments may change when your kids are the ages of my kids.

Now, let's return to food!

(BTW, I really hate radishes.) Those and parsnips are the only two foods I can think of that I won't eat.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Bloviatrix:  I've never made Pugliese!  I make Ciabatta a lot.  I'll make Pugliese tomorrow using Carol Fields' recipe.  It doesn't call for sesame seeds, but I don't see why not.

I'm lazy so I buy my pugliese coated with sesame seeds. Although you should follow the recipe exactly the first time round, if you like sesame, go that route the second time. They add an excellent nutty flavor. The only problem is they make a mess and find their way into everything.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have Le Crueset envy. :biggrin:

I second the fish soup idea, or maybe just mussels with lots of white wine, butter, and parsley. Mmmmm. Fabulous with a loaf to soak up the juices. The Mediterranean Seafood stew from Julia & Jacques Cooking at Home is a favorite of mine.

My blog was the week of Hurricane Isabel so it included fridge and freezer cleanouts, emergency supplies, and three days of no power. :angry:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

My blog was the week of Hurricane Isabel so it included fridge and freezer cleanouts, emergency supplies, and three days of no power. :angry:

Hey, don't be so grumpy.

That just means your blog is a representation of your resourcefulness and

ability to rapidly utilize your vast inventory of savory goodies.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Heather, are you volunteering for another shot at the blog? (I enjoyed your hurricane blog, by the way.)

Suzanne, I think you and I are talking about the same shop.

And I forgot to mention: yep, the avatar's a chayote.

Edit: and the picture's mine. I don't know that book, fifi. Do they play with chayotes?

There were a number of things running through my mind as I took a liesurely bus ride back from the butcher this morning, but in the rush of the rest of the day I've forgotten most of them.

Remind me to tell you something I was going to say about Brownstone Brooklyn neighborhoods.

But for now, here's my durum bread dough, just shaped:

i7371.jpg

This recipe's a little strange, because Carol Field has you slash the dough right after you shape it, rather than right before you bake it.

Then she has you proof it (rise again) on a floured board, with the slash down:

i7372.jpg

I thought it was strange, but I did what I was told. Then, when you're ready to bake, you flip the loaves over and slide 'em onto your baking stone, and shazam!

i7386.jpg

These breads have more durum flour than I'd really want. Durum flour is made from very hard durum wheat. It has a lot of protein. It rises well but it gives a relatively tight crumb (the holes are on the small side). It has a pleasant golden color, but you see the color and you can't help but expect a moist, eggy sort of texture. And it isn't. It's a lean bread.

Still, it's good. The rise is dramatic.

I'll report on dinner later.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

They look fantastic. Thank you for doing your part to counter this Atkins craze.

I can be in Brooklyn in 30 minutes. Care to share some bread? :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Unfortunately, I'm too timid to take many pictures in the store, but here's one showing a part of the nuts/candy area with the coffee zone visible behind it:

That's my favorite part of the store! I always load up on nuts and dried fruits when I'm there.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

nessa: I hesitate to offer a bread advice clinic, because I'm still so new to this myself. The real experts around here are Jack Lang (Jackal10) and his evil transatlantic tenor twin Sam Kinsey (slkinsey). But I'd say if your crust is too thick, that usually means the bead was cooked too long. I usually get pretty good crusts if I preheat the oven to fifty degrees higher than it should be.

Thanks Seth!

My baby rises beautifully, so long as rye isnt used :hmmm: Even when I abuse her. I think you've pegged the problem. I will try the hotter oven trick. The recipe that I use calls for the loaf to be put in a cold oven and allowed to proof more as it heats up. Obviously I've got the wrong technique and I need to get more scientific about my approach. That and I've got to get a better attitide so that I have Good Bread Mojo! :unsure::wacko:

Seth, Nice blog so far. The pictures of Sahadi's really brought back some memories of growing up in nearby Park Slope. I would love to see more pictures of the special food places in the area if you could swing it. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Gawd, Seth, that bread looks absolutely amazing.

Yeah it does! Mags beat me to exactly what I was going to say!

Seth - I'm thinking there's a career change option if you were feeling so inclined.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

(BTW, I really hate radishes.)  Those and parsnips are the only two foods I can think of that I won't eat.

I'm none too keen on radishes, myself. My parents still laugh when they tell the story of their first house together. They planted a garden, and in the course of planning it they both said "lots of radishes". The radishes were the first things up, and there were lots...and only then did they realize that neither of them liked radishes! "But I thought you liked radishes!" "No, I hate 'em! I thought you liked them!"

Seth, I'm really envious of your bread experiences. I never spend enough time at it, and so, of course, the bread never gets very far. The bread machine is my friend. Your loaves are gorgeous.

About that Le Creuset: it looks to me as though it's begging for ratatouille now and chicken paprikash later.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This is such a great collection of ideas for my new pot! Unfortunately, it is unlikely that I'll be using any of them during this blog, since I went with the short ribs tonight. There's still plenty of that for tomorrow night, and then the next day we travel to Maryland, where, to be frank, the food we'll eat may be more entertaining to read about than to experience. We'll see.

The short ribs came out great. I used one of the trillion recipes for short ribs on Epicurious.com. I selected a recipe solely because it called for a pot of the right size. Basically the short ribs were browned, a mirepoix was then softened, and it was all simmered for a few hours in red wine and beef stock. Then some baby carrots and black olives were added near the end.

The recipe called for mashers but I made buttered sauteed potatoes instead:

i7396.jpg

I'm not sure the picture does it justice. The weather worked out okay, too. It cooled off nicely.

I'd love to break bread with you sometime, Bloviatrix, but I'm afraid I already gave away the second durum loaf. A couple of our closest friends live just two blocks from us; we give them a lot of bread. They just had a baby yesterday, actually, and the husband came over after he got back from the hospital this evening, had some short ribs with us and took home a loaf.

Okay, that's it for me today. Oh, I just ate a bowl of Ben & Jerry's Vanilla Caramel Fudge while writing this.

Edit: and thanks for all the compliments on the bread. :blush:

Edited by SethG (log)

Oops, one other thing:

You know, nessa, I believe I've used that "cold oven" technique. I know it was in Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery, and I think it was her version of the cottage loaf. It worked fine for that bread, but I think if you want a crisp, brown, rustic crust you want high heat right away on your dough. With wild yeast, too, you want that blast of heat for good oven spring. I think that technique might be the cause of some of your trouble.

I'm hoping that you sent a portion of the short ribs to The New Mother.

One of my local meat markets has short ribs on sale regularly for $2.49/lb, and when they are on sale, you know what we are eating.

You, should you be so inclined, cook up something in that new pot for The New Parents...

Bread looks wonderful. Interesting technique to turn it "upside down" before baaking. Do tell how it is a day later, please.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

mmm... ribs (where's the drool emoticon? lol)

if I didn't have chicken roasting for a pie I'd definately get going on the ribs! might not be able to eat solid food these days but gravies/sauces are definately the cook's perk around here!

I made a pugliese (inspired by your bread baking adventures) it came out very nice, strongly flavoured, I used an italian chestnut honey, good though.. I've also been experimenting with very basic sourdough bread, so far so good, the results may not be consistently beautifull but they do tatste good.

basic white breads are much more what I do regularily, split tin or cottage loaves usually, and challah or kolach for my sister.

the durum wheat bread looks lovely, I like a crispy, crackly crust and I find the durum lends the loaf some sweetness.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I would, but she won't be home from the hospital until late tonight! I'll save some to bring over if she wants some, though. We'll probably go over there once or twice and make them dinner in the next few weeks, after the respective parents' visits are over.

(And $2.49 a pound? I wish I'd acquired the short ribs that cheaply.)

I would, but she won't be home from the hospital until late tonight! I'll save some to bring over if she wants some, though. We'll probably go over there once or twice and make them dinner in the next few weeks, after the respective parents' visits are over.

That will be a blessing to them. I remember - as I'm sure you do too - what a blur the first few weeks are when the last thing you want to do is get in the kitchen and cook. And if mom is nursing she will be especially hungry. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

if I didn't have chicken roasting for a pie I'd definately get going on the ribs! might not be able to eat solid food these days but gravies/sauces are definately the cook's perk around here!

I made a pugliese (inspired by your bread baking adventures) it came out very nice, strongly flavoured, I used an italian chestnut honey, good though.. I've also been experimenting with very basic sourdough bread, so far so good, the results may not be consistently beautifull but they do tatste good.

basic white breads are much more what I do regularily, split tin or cottage loaves usually, and challah or kolach for my sister.

the durum wheat bread looks lovely, I like a crispy, crackly crust and I find the durum lends the loaf some sweetness.

Beef in pastry, chicken pie, split tin, cottage loaf...

I don't know you, binkyboots, but I'd say you must be in the U.K.! And it sounds like you might be familiar with the Elizabeth David book I mentioned above.

What is Italian chestnut honey? That sounds great.

(And I hope your solid food situation is only temporary.)