• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Deli's??

Rosie

Speaking of hot pastrami on rye...I find that there is no consistancy in the 1000 Island or Russian dressing they offer. My first question : What is the difference? Second: Which is more common (provided you are not having mustard and opting to go this route) ? Third: What are they made of? Last: Why do they taste so drastically different in most restaurants?

I work in Lower Manhattan and find them awful in all of the delis down here. Then again, most of these places are hardly delis. Sorry for the dumb questions, but maybe if I knew what I wanted , I wouldn't have to toss so many out because the dressing tasted so bad. Thanks in advance!

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Re: Fort Lee area

I never go to Al's anymore... it is dirty, old, & most usually empty. Each time I hesitantly go there - just because it is close, it looks like they are about to go out of business any minute. They always get your order wrong & one time, they had no corned beef or pastrami - I just walked out.

Sol & Sol in Englewood is very good. Nice place, clean, great food & people.

Also, we recently started getting food from Tenafly Kosher.... very good food, but take out only.

menton, any thoughts on how this place compares to glen rock's Kosher Nosh?

IMHO, Petak's food blows away the Kosher Nosh.

But it is take-out only, no tables. Sol & Sol has tables, and is also much better than Kosher Nosh.

(The Pickled Herring at Petak's rocks!!)

Hmm... I went to Kosher Nosh a year ago, and thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Tommy, if you're ever in our neck of the woods (but not on a Saturday) and have a craving for Kosher pastrami, check out the East Side Deli in downtown Somerville. That's where we went after seeing Rosie on the radio last Thursday. :smile: (Since we were both sniffling, we figured some checken soup with matzo ball wouldn't hurt. ) We hear they're busy with courthouse crowds during weekday lunch. They're also open on Thursday and Sunday evenings. The latter can be crowded, as we found out one night - fortunately, we had called in advance, as we were a group of 5.

One of my great regrets about moving away from the Summit area is the now relative inaccessibility of Hill City Deli in Summit.  German oriented, they have (for me) the best home made potato salads, pasta salads, fish salads, ham salad and sloppy joes of any deli I've ever been to in the 45 years I've been living in NJ.  Their cole slaw is the BEST!  Their rye bread is superb, and their sandwiches are a real treat.  Now that you have me started, I just may have to go to Summit today and stock up!!  

Just had lunch here. Still reeking of garlic from a sandwich of proscuitto, mozzarella and roasted peppers. A little steep at $9.25 but a healthy sandwich so it was worth it. But my wife isn't going to kiss my for a week!

One of my great regrets about moving away from the Summit area is the now relative inaccessibility of Hill City Deli in Summit.  German oriented, they have (for me) the best home made potato salads, pasta salads, fish salads, ham salad and sloppy joes of any deli I've ever been to in the 45 years I've been living in NJ.  Their cole slaw is the BEST!  Their rye bread is superb, and their sandwiches are a real treat.  Now that you have me started, I just may have to go to Summit today and stock up!!  

Just had lunch here. Still reeking of garlic from a sandwich of proscuitto, mozzarella and roasted peppers. A little steep at $9.25 but a healthy sandwich so it was worth it. But my wife isn't going to kiss my for a week!

As of yesterday Al's kosher deli in Fort Lee is closed. I can't believe that they held on as long as they did. From the moment that the new owners (they are non jewish hispanic) )took over, the deli went down hill very quickly. Unfortunately they did not have a clue about kosher deli food and I can't imagine why they bought this restaurant in the first place. There was a time that you could not get near there during lunch time but within a few weeks of their ownership it was mostly totally empty except for a few die-hards.

Hank

" are all these harolds new york style deli owned by the same guy? i have one by me under the ramada inn in edison. I love that place."

NO--different owners.

Chopjwu12--Haven't heard from you in some time. Did you get married yet?  And what are you cooking these days?

hey just got back from my honeymoon 2 days ago not ccooking anywhere yet gettign everything together for the new life.