• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Deli's??

Rosie

For Pastrami and Corned beef, I drive to Best Provisions in Newark, I also get my Franks from there, especially if I need for a party.  Thier kosher style deli is wonderful...by the way Rosie, do you like your Pastrami and CB lean or fatty????

http:/www.etuinc.com

Quote: from MsSumida on 9:08 am on Aug. 14, 2001

For Pastrami and Corned beef, I drive to Best Provisions in Newark, I also get my Franks from there, especially if I need for a party.  Thier kosher style deli is wonderful...by the way Rosie, do you like your Pastrami and CB lean or fatty????

Unfortunately, I like everything fatty! But extra mustard seems to clear out the arteries.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

delis are often synonymous with corned beef and pastrami, but when i think deli, i think italian.  and when i think italian deli, i think Vito's in hoboken.  of course, there are dozens of great italian delis in northern NJ, but Vito's is kind for me.

there is also a place called Harold's in Lyndhurst, right across from Medieval Times, which has those Jewish deli-type sandwiches. the sandwiches can be HUGE, and they also have a free pickle bar with about 10 different types of pickles.  

One of my great regrets about moving away from the Summit area is the now relative inaccessibility of Hill City Deli in Summit.  German oriented, they have (for me) the best home made potato salads, pasta salads, fish salads, ham salad and sloppy joes of any deli I've ever been to in the 45 years I've been living in NJ.  Their cole slaw is the BEST!  Their rye bread is superb, and their sandwiches are a real treat.  Now that you have me started, I just may have to go to Summit today and stock up!!  

I'm a little hesitant to say it, but for corned beef and pastrami I love Harold's in Edison.  The portions here are enormous, beyond enormous, and so are many of the patrons.  I think it sometimes gets a bad rap because A) some of the food is awful, and B) super large portions make a lot of us suspicious of the quality.  That said, the three things I can absolutely recommend are the corned beef and pastrami sandwiches, and the plain cheesecake.  My only complaint with the meats is that they tend to be on the lean side.  I'd prefer more fat.  But the flavor is wonderful.  The knishes are weak, the potato pancakes are so-so, as are the dry kosher salami and hot dogs, the desserts that I've tried (other than the cheesecake) are hideous, and obscenely large.  Oh, and the kasha varnishkas and onion rings are tasty.

I second Harold's, although they arent Kosher. Their triple deckers are massive... enough for 3 people. Really like their turkey clubs. SERIOUS knishes and matzoball soup too.

The kosher deli across the street in the shopping center with Noodle Chu is also pretty good.

Theres a few different glaat kosher delis in Teaneck on the main drag there, I tried MaaDan yesterday, expensive but very good. I havent tried Noah's Ark yet.

Saul and Saul in Fort Lee is good, as is the Tenafly Kosher Deli.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

This thread has me missing the late Short Hills Deli. My brothers preferred the Millburn Deli for sloppy joes, but I think that one's gone too.  Tabatchnick's in Millburn has great food, although the dining area is depressing - get take out.  It is not kosher, they have herring in cream sauce as well as deli meats. My mom tends to cater our holiday meals from there or Zayda's (which is kosher).

For Harold's (in Parsippany at least), stick to sharing the mountainous sandwiches and the cheesecake.  I agree with the previous poster that their other desserts are either bad or just so-so (too much ersatz whipped cream).  The knish tastes good, but its just too big.  Oh - and get the matzo ball soup (not the chicken soup with kreplach, just the matzo ball).  We like to get it for take out.  You get a quart of chicken vegetable soup, and a separate quart (2 quarts?) of broth with the two baseball sized matzo balls.  This is definitely enough soup for four people; half a ball each - believe me half a ball is enough!

Tabatchnick's Deli

Vauxhall Rd, Vauxhall, NJ

(908) 686-7077

(in the same shopping plaza with Syd's which is famous for its hot dogs).

Zayda's Kosher Meats Deli

309 Irvington Ave

South Orange, NJ

(973) 762-1812

Harold's New York Deli

707 US Highway 46 East

Parsippany, NJ

(973) 335-3339    

We like Jack Cooper's in Edison. Have been going there over 20 years and the deli is consistantly good. I have also used them for catering. I have never been to Harold's but Lowell has. He felt that the quality of the meat was not as good as Jack Cooper's. Zayda's has good veal ribs to BBQ and baba ganoush.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

For the best in corned beef, pastrami and other delicious sandwiches and dinners you really must go to The Kosher Nosh at     894 Prospect Street in Glen Rock, NJ - tel no. 201 -445-1186.  

They also have a great musical website at www.koshernosh.com

This was emailed to me today by a member:

Just to clarify a bit. The deli in Fort Lee which was Sol and Sol is now Al's Kosher Deli. Sol and Sol, which originated in Englewood  more than 40 or so years ago is now back (the son) across from Baumgarts on Palisades Ave. By the way, Al of Fort Lee is a 90 year old Italian gentleman who they say owns half the property in town. Quite a character who once sang for some bands and was in a couple of Sinatra movies. To look at him you would swear he was no more than 70. You can find him in the deli 7 days a week bitching about how hard life is. Very funny because he needs this deli like he needs another you know what. More than a few of us have made him substantial offers but he refuses to sell. Loves the work. Certainly does need any more money. It should only happen to me.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to Harolds on Rt 45 in Parisspany abouth a month ago and had to send back the matzo ball soup.  It tasted really sour and was nasty.

Shared a pastrami on rye which was so so.  

Not going back again.  Second time in a row the food had to be sent back.

In Livingston there is a deli called Epi-sesson (sp?) - went there with some family not too long ago and I remembered that I liked that salads on the table.  We all ordered soup and a sandwich and for some reason the sandwiches came out before we reminded the waiter we had ordered soup as well.

When in South Florida - The Rascal House (Sunny Isles Beach) & (Boca Raton) was better before Jerry's Deli from California bought it.  But still great!  Love them onion rolls-- oy vey!

-Scott

Shame to hear about Harolds. Its been a while since we were last there so its possible things went downhill.

This may seem like a silly question in light of the topic/type of cuisine, but here goes.  My husband absolutely loves good deli, and we live near Jack Coopers, but I'm a semi-vegetarian (I do eat fish, including tuna, and cheese).  Would there be something for me to eat there if we go?

Casey

not a silly question at all!

The harold's in parsippany has lox, various other treatments of salmon, egg salad, etc. Big portions are their trademark.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 year later...
i just had my first pastrami on rye today, ever. 

:shock::shock::shock: Did you think there was something about it that you wouldn't like? What kind of deli did you eat before this? To my mind, kosher pastrami is where it's at. I do hope that you had the nice, fatty kind and not that first cut drech that's like dried out shoe leather passing for pastrami. :biggrin: If you're ever in south central NJ, stop in at Jesse & David's, a kosher deli in Manalapan. Their hot pastrami on rye -- ask for the fatty cut, of course -- slathered in deli mustard is the best! :wub: And don't forget the Dr. Brown's Cream Soda or, if you prefer, the Cel-Ray.

Harold's has always been very good, but I found that the NY Deli on Elm St in Morristown is also great for hot pastrami as well as breakfast.

If you like Italian deli, Visentini's on Union St. in Lodi is amazing. I really like their Genoa on a roll with mayo. You pick out your roll then bring it to their deli counter. They also have the best meat section. Numerous sausage selections - cheese, broccoli rabe, patties; great cheeses; olives; and the choices go on and on. This is the place to go if you dont have the time to go to Arthur Ave, BX. They also have a good selection of Italian wines.

i just had my first pastrami on rye today, ever.  holy shit, that's a good sandwich.  i don't know what i've been thinking all of these years, assuming that i wouldn't like it.  i guess my tastes have changed. 

it was at Glen Rock's Kosher Nosh.

I'm amazed that the last posting before Tommy resurrected this topic was Oct 17, 2001. Thanks Tommy for doing a search. :smile:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

i just had my first pastrami on rye today, ever.  holy shit, that's a good sandwich.  i don't know what i've been thinking all of these years, assuming that i wouldn't like it.  i guess my tastes have changed. 

it was at Glen Rock's Kosher Nosh.

I'm amazed that the last posting before Tommy resurrected this topic was Oct 17, 2001. Thanks Tommy for doing a search. :smile:

i'm here for you, rosie.

this was not dry at all. and it was from a kosher deli. i've never actually tried it, although i've been to katz's several times. i think the "smoky" aspect is what kept me away...along with the fat. i generally hate fatty chewy meat.

this, though, was really freakin good.

I assume you mean Jewish delis, not the generic kind that appears on every corner....

It is difficult to find a good one in NJ, they proliferate in Manhattan and usually pale by comparison.

A decent one is Petak's on Fair Lawn Avenue in the Radburn section of Fairlawn. Good pastrami and corned beef on one side, and a very good fish section on the other side of the store with herring, nova, and whitefish. Glatt kosher, so don't go on Friday night or Saturday...

Also, Sol & Sol on Palisade avenue in Englewood, just next to It's Greek to Me, has very good sandwiches and Matzo Ball soup. I think they were better in their old grungy location on the other side of town before they -moved, though.

Petak's

19-03 Fair Lawn Avenue

Fair Lawn, NJ

Sol & Sol

34 East Palisade Avenue

Englewood, NJ

Edited by menton1 (log)

are all these harolds new york style deli owned by the same guy? i have one by me under the ramada inn in edison. I love that place.

but if your in the mood for a good sandwhich check out JP Deli in rosell park. The localls love it and the subs are the exact perportions they should be. The right amound of bread to meat to fixings ratio. Some dont realize how truly important that really is. To much meat no good to little meat no good. Its an art i tell you.

" are all these harolds new york style deli owned by the same guy? i have one by me under the ramada inn in edison. I love that place."

NO--different owners.

Chopjwu12--Haven't heard from you in some time. Did you get married yet? And what are you cooking these days?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE