• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fiddlehead Ferns

menton1

Fiddleheads (of ostrich fern) are great! I love them. Unfortunately, they are already out of season in my area in Japan.

Unlike most other types of fern eaten in Japan, fiddleheads of ostrich fern (kogomi or kogome in Japanese) have no "aku" (Japanese word for harshness or bitterness), so they can be used just like other regular vegetables.

I, for one, like to eat them simply with mayo or pon-zu.

Visit the Japan Forum for a discussion on edible wild plants (sansai in Japanese):

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=19952&st=0

I love these little nuggets. It is like when asparagus only showed up in Spring ---not year-round as now.

Rinse them well, cut off the dis-colored tip. That color is only a metal reaction from when they were first cut. Boil some water, drop them in and let simmer/boil for about 5 minutes or till tender. Drain, add butter and that's it. It's about the most simple way to do them.

But my favorite way is to rinse them and nuke till tender. My m-wave has a fresh veg setting. Then I drain any liquid and drop them in a saute pan with some butter. You can just let the butter melt, but I like to have the butter brown a little bit. It gives an added depth to the already wonderful flavor.

Cooks.com had a pile of recipes. Just google 'fiddleheads - recipes'.

They should taste like asparagus?

Mine tasted like... .well, they didn't really taste like anything, but they smelled nice.

The complete lack of flavor combined with high price was going to have me simply write them off, but it seems as if they really should be enjoyable... maybe I will have another go.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

The need to cook fiddleheads came up on this thread. It seems that they can cause some kind of food poisoning if not cooked properly.

This thread on fiddlehead ferns has a warning from CDC that indicates that you should cook them for 10 minutes! You have to wonder how they know that when they don't really know what the problem is.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Feh.

edit:

Gah.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You need to remove the coating on the ferns before consumption for optimum results. A bit tedious but worth the time. First rinse in cold water and a lot will come to the top. Next blanch in hot water and more will be removed. -Dick

You need to remove the coating on the ferns before consumption for optimum results. A bit tedious but worth the time. First rinse in cold water and a lot will come to the top. Next blanch in hot water and more will be removed. -Dick

For greater enjoyment, shock after blanching with alligator clips and a car battery, throw frizzled remains into compost bin, laughing maniacally.

For maximum enjoyment, walk by stall or produce section, look at fiddleheads, pick a few up, examine closely, and congratulate oneself for not buying them. And just walk away.

Delicious.

Especially if you buy some ramps instead.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Mine tasted like... .well, they didn't really taste like anything, but they smelled nice.

The complete lack of flavor combined with high price was going to have me simply write them off, but it seems as if they really should be enjoyable... maybe I will have another go.

Personally I don't think they taste anything like asparagus, maybe it's just me. They kind of taste like grass, good grass, but yeah, grass. But I like them anyway!

Melissa

Personally I don't think they taste anything like asparagus, maybe it's just me. They kind of taste like grass, good grass, but yeah, grass. But I like them anyway!

I agree. Fiddleheads are fiddleheads. I wonder who started saying that they taste like asparagus. Asparagus has more distinct taste than fiddleheads.

And I believe everyone should try fiddleheads before deciding whether they like them or not.

And I believe everyone should try fiddleheads before deciding whether they like them or not.

Oh, certainly.

And many times, prepared in different ways.

Oh, certainly.

Oh, I see. I shouldn't have mentioned that.

Oh, certainly.

Oh, I see. I shouldn't have mentioned that.

Why not?

It's an important point.

I might make fun of fiddleheads but that's because I have cooked pounds of it for years on end. I still occasionally use them in a menu if I know that people will enjoy them.

But they still taste like pond scum.

I still occasionally use them in a menu if I know that people will enjoy them.

That's exactly what I want to know more about. :biggrin:

Oh, you know. Steamed, tossed in a champagne vinaigrette, plated with lardons and a soft poached egg. Stir-fried with U10 shrimp, mixed with watercress, a bit of grated fresh mango and slivered scallions. Or in a quiche or a cream soup.

They kind of taste like grass, good grass, but yeah, grass. But I like them anyway!

So..... you're implying that we should bake them into brownies?

No. Unroll and smoke them.

For maximum enjoyment, walk by stall or produce section, look at fiddleheads, pick a few up, examine closely, and congratulate oneself for not buying them. And just walk away.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I did that very thing yesterday. I don't know what my exact aversion to them is....shape?...looks???....but I CAN'T bring myself to actually buy them. And I think if I DID buy them, I have such fiddlefernaphobia, I wouldn't cook them. Silly, I know. I don't feel that way about anything else. :unsure: