• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

libby's in paterson

pnapoli

The article "Great Escapes, No Beach House Needed" by Helene Stapinski on p.6 of the NJ section of today's NYT mentions a place in Paterson called Libby's. It is described as a "little barbeque shack that has been serving up Texas wieners and hamburgers for almost 70 years." I found some info via google but was wondering if any egullet folks have been here and if so, what do you think? is the menu limited to burgers and dogs or are they also doing 'que? thanks.

pnapoli,

Well I have good new's and bad.

First the good,I was born and raised in Paterson which I don't often admit just in case I may still have a few open inditements on me. :unsure: Youth what can I say.

Libby's had very good Texas wieners with meat sauce. I must of lived on them a few days out of the week. There was also another place just down the road called Falls View. Which I believe was even better.

Now for the bad news. I have not been to Libby's in more than 25 years. So I would be hesitate to give a recommendation to a place that I have not been to since the 70's.

And at the time they had no que. Just burgers and hotdogs.

If you give it a try report back, as it may help me recapture my youth. :rolleyes:

P.S.- Unfortunatley I can't even remember the street it was on, but I do know it was a stone throw from the Paterson Falls.

Robert R

Libby's in Paterson is known for its Texas Weiners. They opened in 1936 0r 37. Every time I've gone, I ordered Texas Weiners and maybe fries. They do have other selections. Hamburgers, chicken nuggets, roast beef sandwiches, etc. I don't know if they have barbecue. I called and spoke with a guy (Greek, I assume) who spoke very little English. He didn't know if they serve barbecue. When I've gone, I usually ordered a few dogs to eat outside or in the car. Once I took my family and we ate at a booth. From what I remember, we were given menus that resemble what you usually get at a diner. And they serve beer!

Texas Weiners were invented in the Paterson area around 1920. Many people believe they were invented by a Greek immigrant named John Patrellis. He had a cart outside of a hotel in Paterson. According to N.J. Monthly, a customer showed up with chili that he put on his dogs. Shortly after, he started serving them this way. There were many Texas Weiner joints in Paterson, but now there are few. Only 2 that I know of; Libby's and one close by that I forget the name of. Falls View moved I believe.

As for the dog, they use a Thumann's for deep frying like Rutt's, Hiram's, the Goffle Grill, and others. The sauce is a thin chili sauce which is typical of the North Jersey, or Hot Texas Weiner places. In central Jersey, near Plainfield, the chili is thicker and the dogs are grilled. Libby's is a great place with a great atmosphere. The dogs are very good also. I go occassionally, but when I'm in the mood for a North Jersey Texas Weiner, I usually head to the Hot Grill in nearby Clifton. Similar dogs, but I like the chili sauce better. Not quite the atmosphere as Libby's, but great dogs and super fast service.

John the hot dog guy

Having been to Libbys this week, I think I can say that I agree with John about the the dogs. The Hot Grill in Clifton is definately superior. One interesting thing about Libbys is that it is just down the block from the Great Falls in the historic section of Paterson. A famous scene from the the Sapranos was shot there.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I recently went to Libbys for the second time, a friend of mine took me there first about six months ago.,

there chile sauce is fantastic, I like it better on the burger than the hot dog

nothing else is fantastic, except that the atmosphere is fun, and you can visit the great Falls of paterson, which are pretty

its definitely worth a visit, it is fun and memorable

i will go there next time I'm in Paterson

The Ambassador of good eating/ Aflac agent / ron silver

• 2 weeks later...

got over to libby's. that's a good dog. :biggrin: the sauce was delicious, but i was a little surprised at the thinness (which john had noted above, but i forgot). anyway, i got the works but also added some fried peppers, which seemed to rock my server's world, although she got over it pretty quick.

but it was good, i tell you. damn good. and the 'local flavor' was equally enjoyable. :laugh: