• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gadget greatness - NOT!

So glad you could join us. I want to thank you for all of your entertaining and informative work.

Piggybacking on the gadget question... I often find myself wondering, while looking at those late nite cooking gadget ads, "What would Alton Brown do with this?" Have you ever considered doing anything with that? There is a whole formula thing going on... making flipping a pancake look impossibly difficult... then the magic gadget saves the day. I find those things hilarious and keep wanting you to take off on that. (But then, the lawyers might take off after you. :laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here's the thing about the late nite "miracle" kitchen tools. They're all so darned specialized (read: unitasker) they're usually cheaply made and well...crap. Cooks Illustrated published an article about a year back concerning a series of tests run on "infomercial" cooking tools and their results echo my own experiences...Although you occasionally come across interesting designs, by and large it's all just so much...crap. But that's just my opinion.