• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodstuffs that benefit from "treatment"

Pan

Well... Not everyone does, all the time. After each of my pregnancies, my blood sugar would roller coaster like you describe. I even got into one incidence of hypoglycemia. After a few months, that went away. I eat pasta, potatoes, rice, and good bread with abandon and have no effects. (I have been through rounds of testing.) My blood pressure is also not affected by salt levels. (been there, done that). I eat whatever I want as to fats... butter, cream, duck fat, lard... cholesterol still respectable. I did give up transfats years ago. Perhaps I have good genes. There is no history in my family of diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure. Cerebral aneurisms... well, that is a different story.

i understand what you mean. if i didn't have insulin issues i never would have noticed myself. as it stands now - when i'm eating really "clean", i can easily tell the sugar rush and crash.

but i had to take all sugar, incidental as well, out of my diet for a few months before it became readily apparent that i can be a real spaz.

what's interesting to me is, i have a friend who is clinically depressed. and he self-medicates with alcohol - so it makes for interesting times. but man the tuesday thru thursday after one of his binge-drinking weekends - he is hell to be aorund.

the thing is, he's well aware it's a serotonin crash - doesn't keep him from making everyone around him miserable anyways.

Edited by tryska (log)