• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter

Smarmotron

The Whole Foods brand in a jar is great. It's made with sweet valencian or something peanuts, and you do have to stir it, but it's good.

I've wondered about that Honey-Roasted self-grind kind, it looks great. I'll have to try it.

Just want to ask again - anyone tried Sorrell's Pickard Peanut Butter? I hear there are subtle hints of cinnamon and honey. My persistence may sound silly, but I love peanut butter.

When I was growing up we kept two jars of peanut butter on hand. Skippy for the kids and a spread called Hazel for my Dad. Hazel was unhomogenized and the oil would seperate out on the top every day. We only got to eat it if we ran out of Skippy so we thought it was exotic and special. It had quite a grainy texture and a fairly sharp flavor. I don't think it's produced any more.

A few weeks ago I was going to try Cooks Illustrated's recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies. My market's "out-of-code" basket had three jars of a brand called Roadside Farms marked way down which I figured that would be good enough for my purpose, so I purchased one.

It was the best tasting peanut butter I can recall. It had a very pronounced toasted peanut flavor and lots of chunks. It wasn't overly sweet like most commercial brands, but it might have been a little salty for some people's taste. I went back t the market and bought the last two jars.

It worked great in the cookies too, and the recipe is reproduced below.

Cooks Illustrated titled their article, "The Best Peanut Butter Cookie". Here's a slightly modified version based on my experience:

2 1/2 Cups AP Flour

1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

1/2 lb Butter (2 sticks)

1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar (packed)

1 Cup Sugar

1 Cup Crunchy Peanut Butter (more on this later *)

2 Eggs

2 tsp Vanilla

1 Cup Roasted Salted Peanuts (ground in food processor to resemble bread crumbs)

Set an oven rack at low center and preheat oven to 350

Sift together Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt

Beat Butter until creamy

Add Sugars, beat until fluffy

Beat in Peanut Butter

Beat in Eggs (one at a time) and Vanilla

Gently Stir in the Flour Mixture and Ground Peanuts

Roll dough into balls about 2 Tbl, and place them about 2" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet (about 18 balls/sheet)

Using the back of a fork dipped in cold water make a criss-cross pattern on each cookie, pressing to form a disc about 1" across and 1/2" thick

Bake cookies until puffed and just starting to brown around the edges, (CI says 10-12 min but my oven took 14)

Let cookies set on baking sheet 4 min before removing to rack to cool.

(CI says it makes 3 dozen but I got 4?)

They are indeed beautiful Peanut Butter Cookies. Crisp on the bottom and edges and chewy in the middle, without being too grainy. A real nice roasted peanut flavor too.

* In their usual AR manner, CI even tested various peanut butters for use in this recipe and recommends Jif over Peter Pan, Reeses or Skippy. I'd previously tried using Skippy, but the cookies turned out a bit oily. I used an off brand called Roadside Farms, distributed by Carriage House Companies, and they were great!

(Bonus Tip Included: To accurately measure peanut butter without making a mess, weight it! The label on my jar indicated that 2 Tbl = 32 grams, so 1 Cup = 16 Tbl = 256 grams)

Count me in as someone who has tried natural peanut butters and just can't seem to like them. I am agreeing with the notion that natural vs. processed are two different experiences.

In terms of the natural nut experience, I like a natural almond butter for a change of pace.

Instead of natural peanut butters, I will munch on good regular roasted peanuts, but for right out of the jar (my main companion at 3:00a.m.) its Jif crunchy.

If anyone cares to; get a jar of Jif and Skippy and A-B the two. Jif has got to win hands down.

If anyone cares to; get a jar of Jif and Skippy and A-B the two.  Jif has got to win hands down.

Did that. Totally agree!

I'm a Jif Chunky myself.

I even specify Jif Chunky in my baking recipes. There's no substitute.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

• 1 year later...

Eating Well Magazine tests the natural peanut butters ... 2006 ...

Nut ‘N Better Organic: Creamy

Our winner in all three categories of taste, appearance and texture, this Canadian-made peanut butter can be found on the shelves of Costco or under the O Organics label at Safeway.

Smucker’s Natural: Creamy

The omnipresent Smucker’s brand garnered second place in all categories. Tasters called its grainier texture “the crunchy-lover’s smooth.”

Woodstock Farms Organic: Smooth/Salted

This selection was a bit too grainy and sticky for some, but Markowski said, “It’s perfect! It has a nice, sweet taste the others don’t really have.”

MaraNatha Organic: Creamy & Roasted

Peanut Butter & Co.: Smooth Operator

Teddie Old Fashioned: Smooth

Anyone agree on any of these? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Out of those, I have only had Maranatha, I remember it being quite good.

I grew up on the hydrogenated ones; Skippy and Jif were too expensive, we always got the local store brand (Hy-Vee in Iowa) or generic, which tasted funny even to me, then. I didn't like the first natural ones I tasted but when I moved to the West Coast, I was immediately converted to Adam's. I still have people bring it when they come visit. Trader Joes is also very good. Here, the only ones that ever show up are sweetened way beyond Skippy or Jif, and I can't stand them. I need to find a way to make my own. Tahini's nice and I have friends who grow sesame and make their own so I can get gallons of it if I want, but it's not a substitute for good peanut butter!

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Been able to compare only the Smucker's & the Teddie OF. I preferred the Teddie even before I had to go low-salt, don't quite recall why. I was pleased to discover that Teddie offers a no-salt variety.

I have a jar of the Whole Foods (also no-salt) in my cupboard awaiting the day when I scrape the last smidgen out of the current Teddie jar. The WF is noticeably lighter in color than the Teddie, not sure what that portends.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've tried the trader joe's brand but I have to say, I love the old favorites...

1. JIF

2. Peter Pan

3. Skippy

I'd rather have crunchy vs. smooth but would gladly take either.

Lately my favorite mid night snack has been (there is alway hot dogs, but aside from that) two peice of white bread and make peanut butter sandwich like I'm making a grilled cheese. the PB get warm and runny. That and a glass of anything...Yum.

Jif Crunchy, in the large two-pack from Costco, is my secret vice. Followed closely by the TJ's clone of Nutella. I don't like the gummy texture and sticky mouth-feel of most 'natural' peanut butters.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I opened the Whole Foods 365 jar today. The first, immediate, impression is that it contains a lot more oil than the Teddie brand, which makes it both easier to stir, and runnier (oozes out the sides of the sandwich).

According to the labels, they both contain the same total amount of fat, tho the 365 somehow has .5 gram more saturated fat, and 1 gram less fiber.

I still prefer Teddie's PB even tho it's more work to stir.

BTW my stirring tip is to place the jar over the pilot light on my gas stove for 1/2 hour or so, at least in wintertime, makes the job much easier. (And yes, makes any PB much runnier for that first sandwich. Even so, my unscientific impression is still that the WF is runnier.)

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

I grew up on Skippy extra crunchy, but have switched to TJ's salted (gotta have the salt) and love it! Now, when I taste the others, they taste overly sweet and smooth to me, even if there are peanut chunks. They must grind and strain any peanut bits out of the big commercial brands, and then add chunks back in because I don't know how else they could get it so smooth.

A few months ago, my TJ's had a differently labeled PB that was much less smooth (a lot firmer, less oil, and not as tasty). My husband and I hated it! But the next jar, while yet another different label, seems to be more like the old kind, perhaps just with a label redesign. No info on the packaging as to the supplier, so I can only guess that they tried a different PB purveyor.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I'm also one of those that can't get into natural peanut butters. Too stiff and too grainy. And unsalted peanut butter - double ick! I'm a Jif girl.

However, I would prefer not to eat hydrogenated vegetable oils so I have dutifully tried my way through many a jar of the natural stuff. For the standard natural stuff (as in, just ground peanuts and salt), Teddie brand is okay. However, the closest match to mass market peanut butter I have found is Whole Foods Whole Kids brand peanut butter. They add some sort of sweetener and then whiz it around so it doesn't seperate. The texture is smooth and creamy, though a tad bit looser than Jif, and the flavor is peanut-y and a bit sweet.

Eating peanut butter makes me sick these days, I'm unfortunately 'sensitive' to so many foods, and peanut butter is a biggie. I can eat a teaspoonful but not a smidgen more without feeling terrible. I would adore to fall in love with the 'better' peanut butters, but their mouthfeel is awfully boring to me. I love- PETER PAN CREAMY, all the way! :wub:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

interesting - it sounds as if peanut butter tastes have a lot more to do with what one ate when growing up than other foods.

Personally, I can't stand "un-natural" peanut butters like Jif, Sun-Pat, et al. Probably because I was raised on natural, chunky, "just peanuts" peanut butter, but those processed kinds don't taste like peanut butter to me - too smooth, too sweet, and not peanuty enough.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

interesting - it sounds as if peanut butter tastes have a lot more to do with what one ate when growing up than other foods.

I for one am an exception to that rule. My fave was Skippy till sometime in my 20s.

Actually, now that I think on it, I took a conceptual dislike to the fillers & thickeners in the major brands. The pure-nut butters did taste a bit odd at first & required some acclimatization.

• 9 years later...

Is there such a thing as natural organic unsalted peanut butter that is truly smooth?  For eating I don't mind peanut butter that is slightly crunchy but for making gelato I cannot abide the texture of peanut butter that is less than completely smooth.  How can vendors sell something in good conscience marketed as "smooth" when obviously it is not?

An example of acceptably smooth peanut butter is Jif creamy, which I believe used to be Proctor and Gamble and now is Smucker's.  I am fond of Jif Natural, but I'd like to find something similar that is free of added salt and sugar.  The technology clearly exists.  Does anybody make it?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Is there such a thing as natural organic unsalted peanut butter that is truly smooth?  For eating I don't mind peanut butter that is slightly crunchy but for making gelato I cannot abide the texture of peanut butter that is less than completely smooth.  How can vendors sell something in good conscience marketed as "smooth" when obviously it is not?

An example of acceptably smooth peanut butter is Jif creamy, which I believe used to be Proctor and Gamble and now is Smucker's.  I am fond of Jif Natural, but I'd like to find something similar that is free of added salt and sugar.  The technology clearly exists.  Does anybody make it?

Adams has a smooth now that is "no stir"  but I did not look at the jar to make sure it has nothing else in it because I am a chunky peanut butter lover  ..I assume it has to have something to help it along because it is "no stir" now ? but it is worth a look? It used to be my favorite and I still eat the Adam's chunky almost every day it serves all my peanut buttery needs ..Adams used to be a local Tacoma brand and in "98" they were bought out and started adding more "types" and now it is just like any other peanut butter …the chunky still tastes the same to me just not as fresh and more processed 

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I'm not necessarily looking for "no stir" or not.  It is a question of how finely the peanut bits are milled.  For the gelato application I require the peanut butter to feel smooth to the tongue (my tongue).  Sadly I find most brands are not.

I'm not necessarily looking for "no stir" or not.  It is a question of how finely the peanut bits are milled.  For the gelato application I require the peanut butter to feel smooth to the tongue (my tongue).  Sadly I find most brands are not.

Adams smooth no stir is as smooth as it comes I tasted it …and yes …you can make gelato with it..because really there is not much smoother than this . and still get the taste of the peanuts try it it is cheap enough if you do not like it you can use it else wise it is super smooth  ( I am putting it in a milkshake )

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I have never seen Adams in a store but I notice from the website it is made by Smucker's --  same as Jif.  I wonder if Adams is really a different recipe from Smucker's or Jif, or just a different jar?

• 3 weeks later...

Growing up I was a creamy style Jiff girl, thank you very much, but as I got older I expanded preferences to include crunchy.   About two years ago I tried Laura Scudder's original, just peanuts and salt. I liked it. Now I will use both, Laura for morning toast and PB and J, and Jiff for spoon snacking, candy making and when baking for others (I hate the taste of cooked peanut butter).

I don't care for Almond butter.

The label on my Adams crunchy salted pb says that it is 100 percent natural, whatever that means. It contains only peanuts and salt. I believe it comes 4 ways: salted smooth, salted crunchy, unsalted smooth and unsalted crunchy. I prefer Adams over Laura Scudder, but that's my personal taste. It's been so many years since I bought anything besides Adams that I couldn't begin to describe the difference, except to guess that it isn't a deal breaker if you don't have a choice. Stirring is a bit of a drag, but not really a hardship.

Oh yeah, I grew up on Jif and Skippy, etc. But now they just taste to me like plastic candy; not that that's necessarily a bad thing; maybe just right on a desert island, since it could be dinner and dessert in one jar. But they do taste pretty strange if you have not been eating sweetened peanut butter for many years.

Let me ask my question a different way:  since Adams, Jif, and Smucker's are brands of the same company, is it reasonable that the peanut grinding operation would use the same production line?  In other words, is Adams peanut texture equally as smooth as Jif and Smucker's?  (Comparing smooth with smooth, of course.)