• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rogue Beer

reehmeo

We're big fans of Rogue. We stayed almost a week in Newport last December and had a great time with the "Rogues" in town. Between Thanksgiving, 2003, and Easter, 2004, we managed to visit all the Micro Meeting Halls (Newport, Portland, Issaquah, San Francisco.) A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Rogue Bed & Beer in Newport - can you imagine having Rogue as your living room!

I think John Maier is a wonderful brewer. Over the years he has created some truly great beers. My favorite is still Old Crustacean (but I admittedly love barleywines.)

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

BeerGirl, I am heading to Newport and staying at the Bed & Beer in July. I am a big Rogue fan, do you have any recommendations for me? I am only going to be in Newport for 1 night. My favorite Rogue was Mogul, but that was discontinued. I would have to go with I2PA now.

Beerwise Rogue is about it in Newport. Be sure and try to get over to the brewery across the bay. Along the waterfront there's a great restaurant, The Whale's Tale. We've had dinner and breakfast there and really enjoyed both. For sight-seeing (if you must), the aquarium is really good.

Depending on what route you take to Rogue, there are two other brewpubs you shouldn't miss. Siletz Brewing and Public House and Pelican Pub and Brewery. Of course, you choose different routes coming and going and get to both!

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

I2PA is one of my favorites too. They have another single IPA out this month called Integrity IPA also hoppy goodness. If you like IPAs Rogue's Brutal Bitter is also similar. Don't forget to try their new Rum a first from Rogue Distillery. They should have some left. And Beergirl's right when it comes to barleywines OC is it.

Cheers, reehmeo

Found the Dead Man and Mocha Porter in the Navy Exchange here, was seduced by the packaging (I am SO shallow :rolleyes: ), and have been buying them ever since. I can't imagine what it must taste like on tap. Yum. Had a couple guests for New Year's who are originally from Montana and they were beside themselves when they saw the bottles. I guess living in the South with no Rogue was a serious deprivation issue. :wink:

You really can't go too wrong with anything in the Rogue line. I was weaned on the stuff. This is their fifteenth anniversary year, so they have been brewing up special brewmaster batches once a month since last Fall. Even last month's chipotle ale was pretty darn good, and I'm usually pretty tough on the flavored beers. (This month's IPA is very nice.)

If you're staying at the Rogue Bed and Beer, you're in for a treat. Go with the sampler, and then go back for more.

J. Ro