• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Save me from Red Lobster

OK folks I'm down here visiting the in-laws as usual (had a nice meal at Ardeo last night, and lunch at Moby Dick today). The grandparents-in-law, whose age hovers around 90, recently moved here after spending a lifetime in southeast Texas. My parents-and-grandparents-in-law go out for lunch every Sunday that they're all well enough.

My MIL would like to take them to get some good fried shrimp. You know, being from down there and all--any of you ever been? They have these big ol' fish fries, where you fry up tons of shrimps and scallops and crawfish and fish and whatnot in a turkey fryer, and then everyone drinks beer all afternoon and gorges. Good times, good times.

So anyway they're looking for casual sunday lunch, with fried seafood. Oh and they live up here in the upper NW and aren't super mobile, so driving down to Falls Church or something isn't really possible. We usually end up going places like Guapos, or we used to go to Clyde's before it closed...

Of course when I think fried seafood, the Dancing Crab comes to mind, but my MIL rejected that because it's stinky and musty and smells like beer and ashtrays, which isn't real appetizing for the old folks on Sunday morning. Go figure. At least O'Donnells is closed, so we don't have to put up with that ever again like we did when another ancient grandparent was still alive.

She wanted us to go look at Red Lobster this afternoon, since she's never eaten there. I suspect if she had, she wouldn't have asked us to.

So: any ideas? I don't see the big deal; they're just breaded fried shrimp. I would think Chadwicks would have them, or Houlihans even (I know that's not much better than Red Lobster, but at least I can get a burger there).

Thanks.

Cut down Tilden to Rock Creek Parkway, then up Blagden, and head for Colorado Kitchen for their fried softshell crab with tomato frittata (just finished mine about three hours ago). Also their fried fish. And their shrimp with garlic-cheese grits, but I seem to recall they're more pan-fried than breaded, so this might not be what you're looking for. But in terms of just outrageously good frying, not to mention terrific eggs, waffles, bacon, donuts, etc., there isn't much around that can beat Colorado Kitchen for a weekend brunch. File it away for future reference even if you don't go tomorrow. And do try the weekday lunch specials at Moby Dick (a different authentic Persian dish each day).

Cheers!

Rocks.

If I'm ever down here on a weekday, I'll DEFINITELY check that out, Don. Thanks for the tip. I love me some Moby Dick.

Edited to say that I'll take a look at Colorado Kitchen too, thanks. Didn't mean to not mention that.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

If you are willing to go for a short drive on the Beltway, Tower Oaks Lodge might fit you needs. It is in the Clyde's family and the menu is pretty similar to the Freindship Heights location.

I don't know if they will have friend shrimp, but Lousiana Cafe on Bethesda Ave. does a good brunch as well. It's across the street from the fancy car dealership and next to their Bentley showroom.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Johnny's Half Shell does a nice Fish and Chips - and the shrimp on the Po Boy are damn good. Don't know if they do them off the sandwich, but they might.

Bill Russell

Gaffney's Tap Room in Ballston (on Fairfax) does does an awesome Carolina fish fry - shrimp, oysters, or a platter of shrimp, oysters, and grouper. They make the best fried shrimp I've had in this city, and a pretty kick-ass crabcake to boot.

I've had mixed results at RT's in Delray Alexandria. When it's good, it's really good. They seem to fry everything here, and the seafood is usually high quality.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Oops, sorry for no followup. I was getting around to it, I swear.

So anyway, they decided on sticking with "mexican" at Cactus Cantina for brunch, for the moment.

They took a look at the new Red Lobster out in Silver Spring but I was thankfully spared. My wife says they'll probably head there another time, when we're not there.

Thank you for the suggestions, though. I'll definitely be forwarding all of them along, although I don't know where Ballston is, or for that matter Delray Alexandria. They can figure out where they're going for those suggestions. To me, driving 20-30 minutes down into Virginia is no big deal, but to them it might as well be Nebraska. Go figure.

But thank you!