• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We grew 'em now we get to eat 'em

I have actually done the gratin without the sausage, using a generous slosh of good olive oil to provide the "grease factor". One thing I like about the gratin method of cooking is that the veggies get a generous dose of caramelized goodness.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 weeks later...

It has been an up and down 6-8 weeks for me but the garden keeps producing and we just keep eating everything we can. :biggrin:

Last night was a big eggplant Parmesan for dinner with cappelini tossed with garlic, EVOO, and fragrant opal basil.

About a gallon of salsa is put up in jars in the pantry now and we are happy. Jars of jalapenos and serranos are stacking up next to them and our tongues are tingling. :cool:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 2 weeks later...
Last night was a big eggplant Parmesan for dinner with cappelini tossed with garlic, EVOO, and fragrant opal basil.

This discussion started on the TX garden thread but thought I'd post it here also since it is appropriate. :cool:

Recipe for my Eggplant Parmesan (Oven-style) I finally added to Recipe Gullet.

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 3 months later...

This discussion started on the TX garden thread but thought I'd post it here also since it is appropriate. :cool:

Fifi, I couldn't find it, my patience wore out -- but we were discussing the EVOO spray I do on the oven fried eggplant for the EP (and other o-f vegs) and you had commented if you could only find an olive oil sprayer that actually worked. :angry:

:laugh:

Well, even if you don't use the product -- it's so cheap who cares! -- just buy a bottle of the Parkay Fat Free spray (in butter/margarine section) and fill bottle with EVOO or OO. The sprayer works great for that. I have tried other brands of the same kind of product but this sprayer for some reason works best. I've filled the bottles now with all my fav oils! :biggrin:

And just to be currently OT, I got a couple recipes for Eggplant Torshi and Eggplant Torshi-e Liteh (pickled eggplant, traditional Persian) from buttercup that I'm definitely going to use some of the eggplant for that is hanging out in the garden right now! Torshis are heavy with herbs, but not sweet picklings of veg, with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin seed, and ginger; some recipes (the Liteh) go the basil/coriander/mint/tarragon route. But this looks like something I need to add to the pantry. Will definitely report on this experiment. :cool:

Judith Love

• 4 years later...

I am growing a pitiable crop of maters, and perhaps to taunt me, the nabor brought over a plastic-splitting HEB bag of squash and new potatoes.

Previously, I've thought these red babies too waxy to make a good potato salad, but I feel compelled to try again, what with my newfound starchy wealth. Any suggestions? Has anyone else tried sprinkling the hot tubers with vinegar? Would dij mus sharp it up too much?

I'd also like to take a moment of graceful silence to say how much I miss the late, great fifi. sigh.

Fifi, I couldn't find it, my patience wore out --

Corrected link for Eggplant Parmesan (Oven-style)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”