• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clark, NJ ideas please!

marge201

I will be at the Crown Plaza in Clark on Friday, June 4 for an all-day seminar.

Would love to have a nice interesting casual dinner with a colleague that evening.

Requirement: very close to the Crown Plaza

not "expensive"

Ideas anyone?

Marge

I worked in Clark for 5 years and in fact I just came back from Bally's there. I really don't think there's anything within short walking distance from the hotel. The only interesting place to eat would be the White Diamond, but that's probably a little more casual than you're looking for! Less interesting, but good: Momotaro, dependable & charming Japanese, Tarantella's, probably better for lunch, their dining room is kind of blah, The Thai House, downmarket Thai in an old diner, food is par for the course for suburban NJ. There is an "Irish" pub called Molly McGuire's that used to be Casual Times. I haven't been there since they changed their image but it is one of those places that has good food and is definitely preferable to Bennigan's. Speaking of which, don't let anyone drag you to Steak & Ale or Chili's. Steak & Ale is OK during the day but depressing at night.

For a relaxing and uplifting dinner, I would definitely say Momotaro.

I don't think there are any expensive restaurants in Clark. I have a soft spot for it but it's really just a parkway exit.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Dear Queen of Grilled Cheese/Kimchee/Babyluck,

You are certainly a bundle of contradictions!!!

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I know that White Diamond!! I have never once eaten there!

OK, so my friend is buzzin' around here and she has nixed Chinese, Japanese or Thai! Oh, no!! I would have picked The Thai House or Momotaro. Looks like Molly McGuire's might be for us that night, Central Avenue, Clark

[[ Speaking of which, don't let anyone drag you to Steak & Ale or Chili's. Steak & Ale is OK during the day but depressing at night. ]]

No problem <ggg>

Thank you for taking the time to give such a nice response!

Marge

It's a shame you're unwilling to drive a bit.

Your location is fifteen or twenty minutes by car from all sorts of great food possibilities. Just past Westfield are great Soul and Caribbean places on South Ave. One exit away on the Garden State is the Oak Tree Road Indian Community and fifteen minutes north of Clark is the Arab and Turkish world of Patterson.

Don't judge the area by what's around Bally's and Barnes and Noble!

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Rosie,

I have discovered why my friend nixed all Asian: she seems to be gastronomically challenged and has not eaten Chinese, Japanese or Thai food in her life!! And this from a very sophisticated person. Go figure!

So I offered her a deal: I treat and she goes where I say and she knows she can trust me and accepted the deal. She'll go for the tip and dessert.

Sooo, with that settled, we're going to Momotaro because I love Japanese food and it's close. I have to go home later and be back in Clark at 8:30 a.m. the next day, so I'm interested in CLOSE.

I will keep handy your ideas, Rosie. They sound good to me.

[[ Mojave Grill, 235 Northfield Ave or Theresa’s 47 Elm St. are both BYO. ]]

Brian, thanks a lot for your ideas. I will save that info for the future when I'm not in a time crunch.

Marge

Edited by marge201 (log)

babyluck mentioned Tarentella's (an Italian restaurant) and I want to put in my 2 cents - I happen to think they are quite good! Everything I have gotten there is above average, and the prices are good.

I had lunch there today, and last Saturday also. Last week I had an appetizer of clams in a basil, garlic tomato sauce that was delicious.

I am not usually a red sauce fan, but theirs is always fresh and delicious so I make an exception!

Randi

p.s. babyluck also said there aren't any expensive restaurants in Clark - but there is one - Lana's at the Hyatt Hill Golf Complex.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I deliver mail on Raritan Rd. in Clark, and while I don't go to most of these places, I know of many people who do. I have been to Tarantellas and I would recommend having lunch there. Good Italian food at reasonable prices. Very good thin crust pizza. Aliperti's is a few doors down and has a great reputation. My parents used to go there weekly until they raised their prices. I always hear good things about Lana's. Even though it is a chain, many people on my route go to Steak and Ale. I plan on going soon. I'm in there to deliver mail. Nice atmosphere, quality Certified Angus beef, and I'm told, an excellent salad bar. Molly McGuire's is also popular. Good beer selection and a great burger.

John the hot dog guy

Just went to Lana's last week. The food is very good and the atmosphere is very nice. It is very bright with big windows overlooking the miniature golf course. I would not say it was cheap. It will probably run about $50-$55/person. On Friday nights, they have a jazz trio there. That was really nice.

Susan

I think you will be quite happy, if not blown away, by Momotaro. Good introduction to Japanese food for a beginner since it is quite a homey atmosphere and the non-sushi dishes are very well prepared and never overcooked.

Also, just to clarify, the Thai place is just called Thailand, not The Thai House.

I love Mojave Grill & Theresa's, and the Indian places on 27, but they are more of a time commitment.

Brian, are you sure it's Paterson you're thinking of? It's more like 40 minutes from Clark.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

• 3 months later...

Moderator Note: Threads Merged.

Forgive me for taking so long to come back with a thanks and a follow-up. In early June I posted a query for a restaurant in Clark. I had a 2-day seminar at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Clark and needed a place for dinner. Here's the responses I got:

Mojave Grill, 235 Northfield Ave or Theresa’s 47 Elm St. are both BYO.

I worked in Clark for 5 years. I really don't think there's anything within short walking distance from the hotel. The only interesting place to eat would be the White Diamond, but that's probably a little more casual than you're looking for! Less interesting, but good: Momotaro, dependable & charming Japanese, Tarantella's, probably better for lunch, their dining room is kind of blah, The Thai House, downmarket Thai in an old diner, food is par for the course for suburban NJ. There is an "Irish" pub called Molly McGuire's that used to be Casual Times. I haven't been there since they changed their image but it is one of those places that has good food and is definitely preferable to Bennigan's. Speaking of which, don't let anyone drag you to Steak & Ale or Chili's. Steak & Ale is OK during the day but depressing at night.

For a relaxing and uplifting dinner, I would definitely say Momotaro.

Momotaro Japanese Cuisine

1425 Raritan Rd Clark, NJ 07066 732-396-8668

We went to Momotaro and it was FABULOUS. There were 8 of us and we enjoyed the meal immensely. Nice service, great food. Thank you!!!

Just for the record, Crown Plaza Hotel in Clark was awful. They put a party with a DJ across the hall from our seminar room. It totally ruined the seminar because we couldn't hear anything. This was a voluntary seminar that cost $200/day for each participant so you can understand how ticked off we were. Complaints to the front desk were a total waste of time because nobody could be moved.

Horrible stupid planning by the hotel staff. I would never use that hotel again after that. They clearly can't be trusted.

But Momotaro, I recommend highly. I'm sorry that I didn't jot down the name of the person who gave me the advice but thank you!

Marge

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

• 3 weeks later...