• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good breakfast joints in Memphis?

fierydrunk

The terms "Good" and "Joint" seem somewhat at odds with one another.

Are you looking for a place where you can get a well prepared crab omlet with hollandaise and a perfectly toasted english muffin, or a place where you can get your weekly dose of cholestrol, grease and caffeine (not to mention abuse from the waitress)?

I've eaten at both kinds of restaurants in Memphis, though I tend toward the latter personally with the Dixie Diner near the top of my list.

Memphis IS, however, just this side of "Restaurant Heaven" to my way of thinking. And not just BBQ either.

- Tom

Tom Tyson

Just using my memphis slang, Tom! To a native Midtown (and South and North et al) Memphian of a certain age, saying "joint" means "small, homey diner/restaurant/place to buy some eats."

Where oh where did you get a delicious benedict in Memphis?

I have had plenty of greasy meals growing up and going to college there, but never once an eggs benedict that wasn't made at home.

I am looking forward to real BBQ pulled pork sandwiches (they aren't overrated!), good grits, good fried chicken and a Quik Chek on Madison deli sandwich...any other relatively cheap eats (inc. breakfasts) I need to know about?

You know, after my shock at discovering the passing of one of my real culinary heros last night, Raji Jallepalli, I've realized that I'm not nearly as current on Memphis as I thought I was. It suddenly dawned on me that it has been almost ten years since I lived there full time and my last visit was two years ago. So you're probably more current than I am on the places to do in Memphis.

That said, I will simply say that some of the best "GOOD" breakfasts I had there was at a little storefront cafe on the south side of Park east of I-240 heading out toward Germantown. I don't remember the name now, but I do remember that it was in the same strip center with a Schwinn bike shop (not at all helpful, but I was half asleep driving in to work and after a while it stopped registering - Sorry). They made wonderfully fluffy omlets and served very smooth but strong coffee. My favorite there was a crab omlet with some holandaise on the side.

As far as Eggs Benidict, the only place I remember having them in Memphis (and they weren't anything to write home about) was at the Perkins on Poplar not too far east of Overton Park.

One place I'm curious about and would love to hear if it's still there is the "Bayou Bar and Grill" a block or so north of Poplar east of Overton Park. It was a regular watering hole of ours and made pretty good cajun food - good mudbugs and great red beans and rice. A basket of 3 Beignets cost 75 cents and we once made the mistake of ordering "nine beignets" late one night after a show on Beale St. Needless to say, after the nine *baskets* of beignets arrived at our table of four, everyone in the restaraunt was snacking with our complements <laugh>.

Sorry to wimp out on you after such a blusterous start, but maybe you can find one of these places. I hope so - it would be a shame if the Perkins is the only place that has survived.

- Tom

Tom Tyson

• 1 month later...

Hope I'm not too late for your fiance tour, fierydrunk, but dont forget The Barksdale at Cooper and Peabody for the real deal biscuits and all. And BBQ and breakfast go together here in that many BBQ joints serve a truly fine traditional breakfast - try Mike's BBQ on Monroe downtown or Bryant's BBQ on Summer for some fine biscuits. While I don't usually recommend chains, you'll get a breakfast exactly like grandma used to make (because I think she works ther) at Danver's on Union in Midtown.; its home-grown chain so we can easily make an exception here.

Tom, you'll be happy to know that Bayou Bar & Grill is alive and well and busy as ever, especially with the late night crowd. It is on Overton Square, sharing a kitchen with La Chardonnay and Palm Court.

• 4 months later...

Believe it or not, if you don't mind the cafeteria thing, the breakfasts at Rhodes College are really, really good... I kid you not.

I'm a total food snob, traveled to 5 continents, hate fast-food (usually), mother teaches cooking classes, etc., and I wouldn't get paid to eat any other meals at what we affectionally call "The Rat" cafeteria, but the breakfasts rock...

Two kinds of grits, hash browns, biscuits, sausages, bacon, etc. for $5 as much as you can eat. Plus our main dining hall is big and dark and wooden and quite impressive.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...