• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer Cocktails

slkinsey

Shout out from New York,

I'm looking for bartenders who are working with unusual juices. Blood orange, passion fruit, watermelon,... others? I'm the spirits reporter for US News & World Report, working on a small article.

I'd especially like to find places in Washington, DC,.. and other parts of the country that aren't New York or Philadelphia. Only looking for drinks being made in commercial establishments -- sorry home bartenders.

If you could tell me name of establishment and city, and something about the drink, I can take it from there.

Can e-mail me at: mmenge@usnews.com Or call (212) 916-8985, or I'll call you. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from some of you,

Margaret Menge

Muddled Litchi

fresh lime juice

Zygo vodka

shaken and strained into a martini glass

garnish with one fresh litchi

Also,

3 Parts Zygo

1 Part Makers

2 Dashes of Angosturra Bitter

Fresh Lime Juice

over ice in a rocks glass

garnished with a twist of lemon

www.energyvodka.com

This is really an "original" cocktail invention, but they sure are good. :)

Adult iced cappuccino (makes 2 large servings)

1/2 cup Bailey's

1/2 cup Kahlua

1/3 cup coffee (cold)

lots of ice

blend until smooth

drink on a hot summer night :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Beans, you sure do link us to some good sites. Thanks!

Do you have a favorite use for vanilla vodka? We were given a bottle of Grey Goose La Vanille. I know... I can and will do a search for some recipe ideas, but you often give good suggestions, so I wondered if you have one.

I like this idea of putting an inventive twist on traditional cocktails, to make it a summer drink... I put some pieces of watermelon in the freezer, and I'm thinking of somehow making a slushy "martini."

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Vanilla vodka and fresh orange juice, shaken hard and served up, make a nice, if simple, adult version of the Dreamsicle (you can add a touch of triple sec if you want it sweeter).

Vanilla vodka and fresh orange juice, shaken hard and served up, make a nice, if simple, adult version of the Dreamsicle (you can add a touch of triple sec if you want it sweeter).

Mmmm.... sounds good. Thanks, Janet!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

watermelon.

for the last 4 1/2 years 1 in every 4 drinks i've made has watermelon in it.

everynight i'd get home from work acheing arms with bits of watermelon stuck in my hair.

i've got to the stage where when a new seasons melons arrive at the bar i can normally guess where there from.

hate them.

but i have to admit its the most popular flavour we've come across, i think because in the UK it reminds people of those brief two weeks of sunshine they call summer over here.

by far the best way to use the stuff is the simplest thank god, although it really does depend on the quality of the melon.

just get a fist sized piece of fresh juicy melon

2 ounces of vodka

gomme syrup to taste

shake it like its someone you hate who won't stop talking

and strain and seive into a chilled martini glass

in 4 1/2 years i've come across one person who did'nt like this, and we sell about 1300 of these a week.

also tastes fantastic with vanilla or mint

as for my favourite summer drink?

gotta be a mint julep, heavy on the makers mark.

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

:biggrin: I just made up this new drink for

my bars summer cocktail menu. It is a reference to a regular warehouse party called "Hoxton Pimps" my drinks name is Hoxton Pimms

25ml Millers Gin

25ml Pimms No 1

2 dashes Fee Brothers Orange Bitters

Top with Apple Juice

Build over ice, in a tall glass. Garnish with two strips of cucumber.

Cheers!

George

i don't know if this qualifies as a summer cocktail....... i was given a bottle by our french daughter in-law. the label reads "farigoulette" - lou garagai. it is fairly sweet and aromatic. definitely not like suze, which we just finished. now we have this to deal with. any ideas......

aliénor-

The latest cocktail here at Rouge:

Peachy Keen

2 oz. Stolichnaya Persik (peach)

1.5 oz. Licor 43

1.5 oz. Sour mix

Splash of Grenadine

Shake and strain into a sugar rimmed cocktail glass. Garnish with a Lime wedge.

This tastes exactly like a Sour Patch Gummi Peach!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Are you talking about Fee Brothers bitters? If you're looking for orange bitters, I suggest you find yourself a recipe for Gary Regan's orange bitters (it's in a number of his books) and make it yourself. It's 100 times better than Fee Brothers' and should be less expensive in the long run. Fee Brothers' aromatic (similar to Angostura) bitters is also very good.

As for Regan's Orange Bitters #5 (I think it's #5)... I am thinking about making a massive quantity and offering some to the eG crowd.

--