• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food sources in Albuquerque?

I live in upstate New York, which isn't a great place to find Southwest style foods and ingredients for Mexican cooking, which my husband loves. I have an upcoming trip to Albuquerque and would love to bring back some local ingredients. Can anyone suggest good sources there? Perhaps there is a weekly or daily market? Any shops that have more than just basic chili powder?

Thanks!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I"m sure some natives to the area can give more advice but here is what I do on trips to Albuquerque.

I do have pretty good access to mexican ingredients where I live but there are two ingredients I always bring back from trips that are difficult to get in places other than NM--Chimayo ground red chile and New Mexcio Green Chiles.

You can get both of these at 'regular' supermarkets like an Albertsons--along with many other new mexico and southwesteren ingredients.

The green chiles are harder to transport because they are frozen. I bring containers to fill with icepacks so that I can bring some back. If you visit in the fall during chile harvest season there are lots of farmer's stands, etc. where you can get fresh roasted green chiles. Other times of year I buy Bueno Green Chile (found in the frozen section of any supermarket).

Heavy to carry, but there are some great salsas you can bring back also. Again--I'm sure locals will have other favorites, and I haven't tried them all-- but El Pinto's Hot Green Chile Salsa is great and unique compared to salsas from other places!

I've also bought dried posole; easy to transport.

Other easy items to bring back if you can't get them at home would be different types of dried chiles to make moles and dried corn husks for tamales.

Farmer's markets are fun to go to of course. I've only been to the Corrales Market--when I was there it was mainly fresh produce but that may vary seasonally. Here's a link to the farmer's markets there: New Mexico Farmer's Markets

Have a nice trip---and although it's a little bit of work to bring green chile back--your husband will love the green-chile pork stew made from it!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Any plans on making the grueling journey (about 45 minutes) to beautiful Santa Fe?

It's delicious up here. :smile:

Oh yes I will drive to Santa Fe as well. I was there about 7 years ago and really enjoyed it.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Actually, you don't have to buy that green chile frozen :smile: .

Most supermarkets around here carry at least one brand (I like Cannon's) of jarred plain New Mexican flame roasted green chile with absolutely nothing added. I think it's great stuff. I recently brought some to some friends in Japan who used to live here. It was easy to carry, and it made great stews and sauces.

If you're coming up to Santa Fe, definitely hit the Farmer's Market on a Saturday or a Tuesday morning (go early!) for everything from locally made salsas and preserves to buffalo jerky, dried chiles, cajeta made from goat's milk, pickles, small and portable breads and cakes... you name it. You might also want to check out The Chile Shop on Water Street.

Hm. It wouldn't hurt to pop into the local Whole Foods (here in Santa Fe) if you have the time. They have an excellent selection of local products, ranging from posole and blue corn flour and masa harina for making tamales to lots of powdered chiles.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

When I was in Albequerque last December I asked the maid that took care of my room at the hotel in which I stayed about stores that carried local foods. She sent me to Carniceria Cuauhtemoc and a market named All the Americas. Both had a good selection of southwest foods. I also found a Wild Oats Natural Marketplace on my own.

I don't have the addresses but probably have them with my receipts.

I agree that the local Farmer's market in Santa Fe is excellent.

Hopefully you can get the groceries back with no problems.

Califronia ag laws are so strict that it is next to impossible to get into the state with any fresh fruit or veg when driving.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Actually, you don't have to buy that green chile frozen :smile: .

Most supermarkets around here carry at least one brand (I like Cannon's) of jarred plain New Mexican flame roasted green chile with absolutely nothing added. I think it's great stuff. I recently brought some to some friends in Japan who used to live here. It was easy to carry, and it made great stews and sauces.

If you're coming up to Santa Fe, definitely hit the Farmer's Market on a Saturday or a Tuesday morning (go early!) for everything from locally made salsas and preserves to buffalo jerky, dried chiles, cajeta made from goat's milk, pickles, small and portable breads and cakes... you name it. You might also want to check out The Chile Shop on Water Street.

Ooohh, thanks for the tip on the jarred Cannon's NM green chile.

Also ditto on the Santa Fe Farmer's Market; it's great.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I would recommend Fresh Herbs Inc. (the new name for B Riley Fresh Herbs which was sold when Dale Porterfield died last year). It's located at 670 Juan Tabo Blvd. at Copper in Albuquerque. It's mostly wholesale to fancy restaurants in Santa Fe. but they will sell retail and there is a small section with dry goods and vinegars etc. The new place is not as good as B Riley used to be. BUT you can get alll kinds of mushrooms and chiles( both fresh and dried)I get some of the harder to find chiles there when I make the Black Mole recipe from Freida Kalo and Diego Riveras' wedding. They have all kinds of herbs, and uncommon fruits vegetables. They will also ship.

And the folks at Fresh Herbs are especially attentive if you arrive between noon and 2pm................until noon, they're trying to fill all their restaurant orders, and they can be rushed; at 2pm they close.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

• 6 years later...

We will be traveling home from Moab, via Albuquerque soon and want to take back canned green whole chiles and tomatillos. Well, really we want to take fresh ones, but that's impossible at this point.

Please tell me where to buy these items in reasonably large cans. And I do mean specific grocery stores which I can look up on a map.

Nope, we cannot go through Santa Fe.

The other thing is: there are canned 28 oz tomatillos in Moab for about $2.69 or so (can't recall...didn't write it down...which seemed reasonable to me) but the 28 oz cans of 'green chiles' are almost $6. Is this about right? DH thinks it's unreasonable...but I don't know.

I'll check the brands and report back and if they seem fine, well, I can buy them in Moab which is a lot less trouble than searching for a needle in a haystack in Albuquerque (although we have to go there anyway.)

Sorry this was a bit ramlby...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The Walmart supercenters should carry the Herdez brand of whole green chiles

There is one here

Walmart Supercenter

2701 Carlisle Blvd Ne, Albuquerque © - (505) 884-6650

You can call ahead to find out if they have them in stock but I bought them at the Walmart supercenter in Deming, NM so I'm pretty sure all the stores in the southwest carry them. They have a whole aisle of Hispanic foods.

There is also one just off rt 40, which might be handy for you.

Walmart Supercenter, 10224 Coors Bypass NW, Albuquerque, NM

There is also a Ranch Market on Central Ave in Albuquerque that sells Mexican groceries and has a great bakery and meat market. I'll have to search my memory for the name as it has been a few years since I was there.

I'll look through my notes I made when I visited my dad in '03 and took him to Albuquerque and stayed there a month or so. I may have it in there.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, you are truly amazing and always come through.

I found a Pros Ranch Market on Central at Atrisco and we should have no trouble finding that.

Canned is no heck, but when you have nothing else, it's pretty good.

Thanks again. :wub:

DH, Ed, says thanks also.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, I have no specifics for you (i.e., names, locations, etc.) but do want to say if you see canned Hatch chiles, grab them ASAP instead of the Herdez or Ortegas. Although both of the latter brands are fine, the Hatch are FAR superior. Lucky me, in the Megalopolis that is SoCal, I can find them at Trader Joes, but only there. Since they are native to New Mexico, I'd think you could find them much more readily. They're just way more flavorful.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Andie, you are truly amazing and always come through.

I found a Pros Ranch Market on Central at Atrisco and we should have no trouble finding that.

Canned is no heck, but when you have nothing else, it's pretty good.

Thanks again. :wub:

DH, Ed, says thanks also.

That's the name, Pro's Ranch Market! Such an easy name, you would think I should remember it but I was thinking it was a Hispanic name. Silly me.

I remember their bakery stuff was first rate. They had a pan dulce stuffed with sweet cheese that was a threat to my diet. My dad loved them.

Darienne, I have no specifics for you (i.e., names, locations, etc.) but do want to say if you see canned Hatch chiles, grab them ASAP instead of the Herdez or Ortegas. Although both of the latter brands are fine, the Hatch are FAR superior. Lucky me, in the Megalopolis that is SoCal, I can find them at Trader Joes, but only there. Since they are native to New Mexico, I'd think you could find them much more readily. They're just way more flavorful.

We took home Hatch chiles years ago. I'll phone Trader Joes ahead of time. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

That's the name, Pro's Ranch Market! Such an easy name, you would think I should remember it but I was thinking it was a Hispanic name. Silly me.

I remember their bakery stuff was first rate. They had a pan dulce stuffed with sweet cheese that was a threat to my diet. My dad loved them.

Bakery??? Diet be damned. We'll go there for sure. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For those of you who are interested in whole chiles in Albuquerque:

Trader Joe's has Herdes chiles only in 4 oz cans.

Pros Ranch Market doesn't carry them at all

Two yesses from Wal-Mart's: 2701 Carlisle (a bit vague) and 301 San Mateo a firm yes but only 8 cans.

Phoned and emailed Hatch home website...no replies yet.

It's all so frustrating and time-consuming.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, you can perhaps order some from Amazon, as a last resort.

Also, call Walmart and ask if they have the whole Embasa green chiles. My local store also carries that brand and they are also very good. The can I have identifies them as Anaheim chiles, which I can buy fresh but keep some canned on hand for those times when I need something and don't want to run to the store.

while chiles, 24 cans

These are grown in the Mesilla valley in New Mexico and that is where Hatch is located.

I get the Herdez chiles in the big cans 28 ounce. I also have two cans of poblano peppers, 30 ounce, San Miguel brand.

I got them at the Vallarta supermarket here. I know that MexGrocer.com carries them because I have recommended them to people in the upper midwest where Mexican foods are not easy to find.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Well, you can perhaps order some from Amazon, as a last resort.

Also, call Walmart and ask if they have the whole Embasa green chiles. My local store also carries that brand and they are also very good. The can I have identifies them as Anaheim chiles, which I can buy fresh but keep some canned on hand for those times when I need something and don't want to run to the store.

while chiles, 24 cans

These are grown in the Mesilla valley in New Mexico and that is where Hatch is located.

Thanks Andie,

The problem is that it's one of those 'too little, too late'. We are leaving in just a few days and no one can guarantee delivery. And if we are gone and the stuff arrives, we are in some trouble.

Never thought that this quest was going to be a complicated one at all. Should have looked into it long ago...but I didn't.

So...we'll go off to Albuquerque and buy whatever we can and be happy enough with that. NEXT time....

In the meantime we are chowing down on Andie's famous verde sauce, my second batch. Wonderful!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks all for the help on the chiles.

Went to Grand Junction yesterday and and while there went to Walmart and bought Hatch chiles for the trip home.

Back in Moab. The brand of tomatillos at City Market is La Costena.

Please some comments on which tomatillos we should buy. We'll be going back to Grand Junction again in several days and still through Albuquerque on the route home.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

....The brand of tomatillos at City Market is La Costena.

La Costena is a popular brand here in SoCal as well. Herdez is too, and I've had excellent luck with products I've purchased of theirs. Either one of them should do you just fine.

Safe travels home, Darienne.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 1 year later...

Back again searching for Mexican ingredients and again I've left it to the last minute. With luck we'll be in Albuquerque again next week on the way home.

This year I'm looking for only two ingredients: ground ancho powder and real Mexican vanilla. My intended destination is Pros Ranch Market on Central at Atrisco. (I'll be glad to devour some calorie laden rich pastries while there.)

As for the ancho powder...I already have whole dried anchos and that can work. They were found in Grand Junction, but no ground powder and only imitation vanilla.

Can anyone point me specifically to a place which carries pure Mexican vanilla? Promised to bring back some for friends in the Frozen North.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.