• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Restaurant Dollar-for-Dollar

rich

unlimited cocktails with brunch

If that's the criterion, then Piper's Kilt (207th St. on the A, in Inwood) is your place. I think the Sat./Sun. brunch is $12.95--decent but typical food and very good burgers on the brunch food menu, and unlimited bloody marys and mimosas (and possibly more--can't remember.)

Shhh. We'll keep it our secret.

:raz:

Jamie

EDIT: spellin'

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Prix-fixe lunches that I consider superb values:

- Jean Georges, I forget the exact price, but the best value is if you upgrade to the extra course. Also JoJo and Vong have well priced prix-fixe lunches at around $20

Jeans-Georges charges $12/ savory course (min. two courses) which also includes an amuse bouches and abundant petit fours.

They also frequently comp a course, so the last time I had lunch there it cost $12 ! And no supplemental charge for the foie gras.

Truly a bargain.

I second the rec for the Dumpling House on Eldridge - 5 fried dumplings, a scallion pancake with beef (probably the best NY Chinese invention of all-time), and a huge container of warm do cheon (or however you spell that soy drink) - all for $3.50. Then pop down to East Broadway off of Essex and get a fantastic Chinese pastry for 60 cents.

That's another addition - Chinese pastries - at the good Chinese pastry shops - are always between 50 and 60 cents. Can't be beat!

Another favorite is Schnack in the Columbia Street Waterfront District - Blimpy Burger-style sliders for 99 cents a piece and they're really good. Three of those and two PBRs will set you back $6 - plus they sell the wonderful swojska from Juibilat for $3.50.... and a nice Chicory Stout milkshake...

Banh mi sandwiches and street tamales round out my cheap eats.

Mid-range - the dessert tasting menu at Chikalicious for $12. Love that place.

High-end - any restaurant week offering by Danny Meyer. Grammercy Tavern bar menu. Blue Hill's dessert tasting menu if that's still offered.