• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoboken restaurant recommendations

Ruby

Hoboken is so close to New York City that I consider it an extension of Manhattan. However, on my day trips there, I've never really found an excellent or even pretty good restaurant.  Many places do have sidewalk dining which is a plus. Maybe I should get off Washington Street??

All recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

a few faves:

frankie and johnnies (14th and garden) - great steak.  i think as good as most NYC steakhouses.  great room.  old-school hoboken.

amandas (washington and 9th or so) - fine dining.  wonderful room.  it has been hit-or-miss for me service-wise, but i've always found the experience pleasurable enough.

la scala (14th and garden/bloomfield) - northern italian, BYOB.   reasonably priced for the most part, although they like truffles, and truffles in your pasta or steak can run from 35 to 45 dollars.  i've found it worth it, considering the savings on the wine (if you drink).  otherwise, you can get out of there for 40 bucks a head with app and salad.

baja (14th and washington/bloomfield) is fun for brunch, especially if you want to get buzzed on their margaritas.  food is typical tex-mex.  fun atmosphere.

the brass rail (washington and 2nd) has great burgers and steaks.  its outdoor seating is a plus in good weather.  lots of interesting wines by the glass, and a relatively extensive wine list.

the two thai restaurants, sri thai (3rd and bloomfield) and bangkok city (washington and 4th or so), offer fine fare at reasonable prices.  sri lacks in atmosphere or outdoor seating, but it's BYOB.

people seem to like margarita's (7th and washington), which is good i suppose, but simple.  outdoor seating again.  i haven't been there since i was about 28, which is what the average age seems to be.

there are a few others that i'm not thinking of right now that i would probably recommend for one reason or another.

rather than be negative, i won't list the other 400 restaurants in hoboken and why i never waste my time going. ;)

...although, i've heard good things about zafra (willow and 2nd or so) and a few others.

good luck.

(Edited by tommy at 9:50 am on Oct. 17, 2001)

City Bistro on 14th is very good. Their menu has a good variety whether you are just in the mood for a quick bite/burger or a full meal. It gets to be a bit crowded later on the weekends(what Hoboken spot dosen't?) but the rooftop is also a nice feature.

A.D.S.

Quote: from RockADS21 on 10:24 am on Oct. 17, 2001

but the rooftop is also a nice feature.

unfortunately, there is no dining on the roof top.  from what i've seen, it turns into a meat market.

mrs. tommy enjoys the food there now and again.  i do not.  i wanted to write a little mini-review of their burger, and now you've reminded me.  it could be a great burger, but i've always thought that there's something wrong.  i figured it out during my last visit:  too much bun.  the bun is sourdough, large, and hardish.  it really detracts from the otherwise good burger.  

the outside seating (in the front) is nice though, with a view of the city.   i would say that for dinner it's a bit expensive and not really worth it, but for brunch it's a good spot.

Generally speaking, Hoboken dining is disappointing.  Here are some of my opinions on what's out there:

Margheritas: One of the best values for Italian in town, and BYOB.  Order something w/ red sauce, as their sauce is terrific!  Be prepared to wait (even during the week), but they'll give you a pager and you can wait at the bar (aka-dive) next door.

Baja: Excellent chips and salsa, as well as margaritas (they have over 100 tequillas behind the bar).  Don't look at the menu, just order the "Baja Special" which is a HUGE platter of steak, chicken, and JUMBO shrimp... served with rice, beans, and tortillas on the side.  If there are 4 or more in your party, order the special for 1 less person that are in your party.

La Scala: had great food there the other nite, but will not likely return due to the AWFUL service we experienced and the lack of caring when i gave the owner an opportunity to inquire as to what was wrong (you can see my detailed review at the Chowhound's Tri-state area  board)

Ali-Baba: NO decor, but some of the best hummus i've EVER had.  Good cheap eats, but i also stick with the sandwiches.  This is a "pleasant surprise hole in the wall."

East LA: best frozen margaritas in town, but don't drink so many that you end up eating there, as i've gotten sick 2 out of 3 times eating there (the chips and salsa at the bar are safe though)

Mission Burritos: best take-out in town!  Cheap eats, doesn't look like much, but oohhh SO GOOD Mexican!  When the weather is nice, you can sit outside overlooking the park.

Augustino's: ate there the first time last week and the food was VERY good.  Feels more like a family operation than a business.  Highly recommended, but don't expect to get a table without a reservation at least a few days in advance, as they only have 7 tables in the place.

Amanda's: often raved about, but not my style of food.  I'm a basic boneless chicken, pasta, or filet mignon... and surprisingly the menu lacked any of these on the few times i've been there (ok, they did have pasta, but only with pheasant or quail or something like that with it).

Pizza: Grimaldi's is nice for a "gourmet" pie, but for a slice Benny Tudino's is the best.... just don't expect to get friendly with the staff there, ESPECIALLY if there is a sporting event on the tv, as they wish to not be disturbed.

Chinese: nothing special to rave about in town, as i read somebody else describe it, "it's all the pictures of dishes behind the counter variety."  With that said, Hoboken Cottage gets my business when i want chinese.

La Isla: Read some good reviews about this place and got a take out chicken sandwich there the other day.  It was pretty good, even if a bit salty.  This could be due to potato sticks place inside the sandwich!

I may have left out an acceptable place or two, but generally speaking, i wonder how many of these places stay in business!  I'm always welcome to hear others opinions.

• 1 month later...

Tommy (and anyone else reading),

Couldn't find where we origially discussed this, so i'm putting it here, figure you'll get around to viewing it.

Last nite i was on my way from NYC and was starving, so before getting on the PATH i thought about what i wanted to eat when i got back to Hoboken.  Then i remembered the the Mexican place you mentioned (was HOPING i remembered it correctly to be on 38th and 9th)!

Anyways, made it over there and ordered 2 chicken tacos to go.  Food was good and cheap (just as you described it).  I wouldn't make plans to go to this place, but it certainly served its purpose and satisfied my appetite, and i'll go back when i need a quick bite and i'm in the area (why didn't i know about this place when i used to commute from the Port Authority).  However, the chicken lacked any spices/flavor that i thought i would be getting.

If you like this place a lot, i would reiterate giving Mission Burritos another chance.  Order something with chicken (the kind pulled from the bone) which is spiced/marinated fantastically (i recommend the chicken burrito).  Also, their pico de gallo is home made and the best i've ever had.

Quote: from thereuare on 1:12 pm on Dec. 7, 2001

However, the chicken lacked any spices/flavor that i thought i would be getting.

thereuare (and anyone else reading),

well you just don't know what's good. ;)

sure, the chicken isn't spiced, but it's pretty much just poached.  the green and red sauce (that you might not have gotten for take out) make the thing happen.  without the sauces, you're looking at poached chicken, raw onion, and cilantro, which isn't a horrible thing, but not very exciting.  for 2 bucks though... ;)

i'll try Mission again at some point.  the 2 aren't comparable though.  different styles altogether.  if you go back to los dos rancheros, have a seat, and order chicken mole or one of their goat dishes (mostly thurs-sunday.  they don't offer goat during the week).  half of the experience is the atmosphere.

additionally, try andalusia (sp?) right up the block from los dos.  tapas.  freaky bar.  freaky people.  but very interesting.  no place to sit, so you'll be eating at the bar for the most part.  bring a gun.

also, stop at Cascina on 9th and 45th for some italian wine and apps.  i mentioned this place on the NY board and was ignored :(.  it's pretty good though, and in the same hood if you find yourself in that area much.

let's get together for a pre-hoboken snack some time.

cheers.

Quote: from Susan on 11:21 am on Dec. 11, 2001

Have been to La Tartuferia twice in the last month and have totally enjoyed it both times.  It can be expensive.  They use truffles often and that can hike up the price of your meal.  

i thought they had very good pasta and good food overall.  i like the family-run atmospere.  i did, as you mention, balk at the price.  wow.  if it was BYO it would be a God-send to the otherwise destitute hoboken dining scene, and one that i would return to again and again.  as it is, it is more of a "special occasion" place, which roughly translates into "i probably won't go back". oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited friends in Hoboken last night and went to City Bistro, 56-58 Fourteenth St, 201/963-8200.  To begin I had very decent crab cakes atop black bean relish. Others were chuffed with the soups: French onion and, a second, cream of mushroom.

For a main course, I ordered the special diver scallops. The scallops were large, nicely sautéed,  and arrived at the table still maintaining a little bit of crispiness on the outside. They came with a few al dente vegetables, and a cream sauce that didn’t overwhelm. The scallops were very fine specimens and surpassed, in quality and in the cooking, the ones that I had recently at Gramercy Tavern (and I kid not!). My husband’s steak and potatoes with a hint of blue cheese on the crust were reportedly very good. All four of us were happy with the meal. Portions on large side. Reasonably priced: around 趐, including two bottles of wine and tip.