• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Got any tips for buying saffron?

I've always been afraid to buy saffron because its so expensive and what a waste it would be if I messed it up. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Planning to buy it from one of the Manhattan Indian grocers (I'll try Foods of India first). Anyone had any luck buying Saffron from there? Any tips on what to look for? I think I remember reading to make sure the threads are not crumbling...

Well I went out and picked up the saffron and it was really no big deal. What had scared me in the past I guess were the $60 packages they keep in the front. I bought a $6 gram bag after inspecting it to make sure the threads weren't crumbling.

I put together an early dinner for the GF. I made White Chicken Rice (Safeed Murgh Ka Pulao) -- Is this considered a Biriyani? - out of Monica's Everything Indian book. The saffron really added a subtle depth to the dish. The GF said, "It's like a bunch of delicious flavors blending in my mouth," which is pretty high marks from her...

I'm planning to make saffron rice this weekend as well. I guess at this rate I will be going back for the $60 bag! :wink:

If you are willing to go to Newark, Ole Ole Warehouse has an open house sale once a month, we got a big one ounce tin of saffron from them for like 40 bucks.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=14145&st=0

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you can't come to their monthly sale, they do mail order. This is the 1 oz tin we bought last year. Still got plenty left. The prices for mail order are pretty close to the warehouse sale prices, the saffron is the same price, plus shipping. Get some chorizo while you're at it. If you like biriyani, you'll love paella! (get the Bomba rice for paella)

The first place I'd look is Dowel, but just because it's right near me. Otherwise, I'd check Kalustyan's first. There's nothing particularly Indian about saffron, which is used in a wide variety of European, Asian, and African cuisines.

Michael aka "Pan"

I highly recommend soaking a stamen of saffron in a tiny bit of hot water and then tasting it, by itself. Once you have the flavor in your head, it will be much easier to recognize in complex dishes.

Since the color it lent dishes was so beautiful, I began my relationship with saffron by adding it in copious amounts to many dishes. Once I learned to recognize the note it was providing, I started using much less of it and got better results. Maybe I'm not that big of fan of saffron, but I find the number of dishes it complements to be fairly small. Even in a complementary setting, if used in excess, it can be unappealing as well.

I love the taste of saffron, but it is a strong taste, and I agree that it should be used sparingly.

Not at Ole Ole prices. Give me LOTS of Saffron. I hate nothing more than Paella that is stingy on saffron.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Is it me or the saffron I am getting?

Everyone we know who goes to Spain brings us some saffron. When I use it it seems to taste like chorine. It;s not our water because there is no clorination here.

dave

Is it me or the saffron I am getting?

Everyone we know who goes to Spain brings us some saffron. When I use it it seems to taste like chorine. It;s not our water because there is no clorination here.

dave

One thing you might want to do with the saffron is hydrate the threads in some stock, and cook with that. You might be burning the saffron.

If you are willing to go to Newark, Ole Ole Warehouse has an open house sale once a month, we got a big one ounce tin of saffron from them for like 40 bucks.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=14145&st=0

Jason,

A one ounce tin of spanish saffron usually retails for 20 to 22 bucks at most Indian stores. We pay $ 17 to 18 an ounce wholesale at House of spices in the DC metro area ( they only sell wholesale to restaurants & retilers)

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
:biggrin:

I would preferably buy it from an Iranian Grocery stores.

Iran makes the best saffron, no matter what others say about Spanish saffron

It is more expensive than the ones in Indian grocers

:biggrin::biggrin:

Indiachef

I agree with you. I had two boxes gifted to me from an Iranian friend. One fell on the floor yesterday and spilled out completely. Broke my heart to throw it away

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 4 weeks later...

Try saffron.com for excellent Iranian saffron. Also, in many Indian rice dishes, saffron is balanced by kewra [pandanus, screwpine] essence; the right balance between the two, with undertones of white pepper, cassia leaf, cinnamon etc. contributes to the symphony in biryanis.

regards,

gautam

Edited by v. gautam (log)

Kewra essence is extracted from the male flowers of Pandanus odoratissimus, especially those growing along the Orissa coast. The perfumers are all U.P./Bihari Muslims, using medieval techniques! An excellent venture capital area?

There are many other species of Pandanus, important in South-east Asia and New Guinea. You know of the ones used in Thai cookery, where the leaves are used to impart an essence + green color; similarly, in Bengal a species is used for its leaves which are occasionally cooked with rice to impart a ‘kheer’ flavor, not color as in Thailand. Pandanus fruit is important for the ancient inhabitants of Malaysia-Micronesia, and they utilize a number of species unknown in India.

As for identification, I am sure that botanists at Lalbagh will be able to answer your queries.

Regards,

gautam

There has been a resurgence in such aromatic herbs and plants due to the new found interest in aromatherapy and scented candles. Some people have set up Supercritical extraction facilities for export purposes.

I shall check out the local varietals with the people at Lalbagh. Thanks!

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com