• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Topic of Great eG Forums Topics

Suzanne F

Theabroma 10/23/03

It is said that when the dust of Mexico settles on your heart, you will never feel at home anywhere else in the world. That must be the reason that I do not give a second thought to anything else that has gone awry on this crazy wandering - my heart is too thoroughly dusted.

This is from one of the best entries (IMO) in Theabroma's Travelogue. I have rarely read anything , anywhere, that I have enjoyed as much. Perhaps it is because I have had many experiences of a similar nature in Mexico, or maybe it is just because it is a diarist working from her heart (one that knows how to write), but either way it has been a pleasure to read and I will be sorry to see her return to El Norte (she probably feels the same way about her return).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Suzanne is being too generous. There are more (and better) epigrams to be found on eGullet than ever were tossed off at the Algonquin Round Table. One that I'm partial to from this morning is courtesy of Pan, in his discussion of school lunches:

"words don't cost anything and lunch does."

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry466260

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

• 4 months later...

Think over the vast sea of knowledge and reasonable facimilies thereof that is eGullet. Which threads stand out in your mind?

My virginal eGullet experience (you never forget the first time) was in the great bacon amorphisms thread (which I couldn't google, help!), followed closely by thetoast and serve magic bag.

I also love the travel threads Mongolia, for example was an amazing experience to live vicariously. And some of the great blogs like Jackl'schristmas feast.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Thank you Dave!

speelllling was never my forte. oops.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

This thread where I first heard about Spatchcocking . :shock:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Despite having been to Paris (once) I had never heard of or tasted french macarons until I read this thread

Macaroons: The Delicate French Invention

Since then I've had them at Keller's Bouchon Bakery and at Bay Bread Boulangerie in SF and have made them several times at home. (with great help from this egullet thread and others).

Another side effect is tha I have baked a bunch of other wonderful cookies in Healy and Bugat's The French Cookie Book.

I am eternally grateful! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This is one of my current favorites. I LMAO each time I read it.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Probably one of my all time favorite posts is the one from Jaymes' bio thread here. Scroll down on page 2, the Sept 3, 2002 post. Warning, do not read this post with a mouth full of anything. I also recommend that you preposition yourself on the floor.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I dearly love the thread entitled

Let's Make Our Own Dietary Laws and the one that made me laugh the hardest, is in the middle of the page by jhlurie (no surprise this!!) on January 2, 2003 at precisely 12:43 a.m. ... talk about minutiae! :hmmm:

my favorite being

10.) If thou shall eat the meat of the beasts of the fields, or the forests, or of the air, thy shall not douse thine portion in the sugared and vinigared essense of the tomato until thou hast properly determined that thine portion is indeed too dry or too tasteless to be consumed without this "ketchup".

and, no, I can't tell you what he was wearing when he posted! :laugh: that is a little too much minutiae! :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am continuously amazed by the Self-Improvement Through Pastry & Baking thread. It's really interesting. I love it. :smile: I particularly love the part when people really got coordinated, baked the same things at the same time, and all posted pictures.

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)