• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Topic of Great eG Forums Topics

Suzanne F

Another necessary inclusion to this log is Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme, Let's go!. This is eGullet at its best.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gotta be this one Charlie Trotter Superdud (a long review), Dinner at Charlie Trotter's 10/31/03 thread started by adrober , who has a point don`t you think ?

also on this thread look out for " project " who`s post`s are a stroke of genius.

and a close second it`s this one eGullet Q&A with Fergus Henderson i`ve had the pleasure of meeting fergus a few times , Well i did use to use st john as my local .

you can hear fergus`s voice in his replies , a quite charming thread .

editted to add clickable inks

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

and a close second it`s this one eGullet Q&A with Fergus Henderson i`ve had the pleasure of meeting fergus a few times , Well i did use to use  st john as my local .

you can hear fergus`s voice in his replies , a quite charming thread .

I really agree with transfattyacid. That Q&A is actually moving to me; I feel as though I'm listening to a conversation with a remarkable person who happens to care deeply about cooking and eating. Nose to Tail, truly a wonderful book, has much the same voice.

I envy you your proximity, tfa! I've never had the chance to eat at St. John, sadly, but feel grateful for Chef Fergus just the same, which is a testament to that book and thread.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

From my not so long ago days as a lurker, I have fond memories of reading many threads, but in the particular the posts in this thread over and over again. Amazing what people have endured at the hands of others. While this entire thread is something to behold, I believe in cutting to the chase so I direct you to the post by Katherine which is probably the most simultaneously funny, disturbing and poignant thing I've ever read on eGullet.

Worst Meal At Someone's Home.... page 3, post #66

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I've got another one: the Studio Kitchen thread detailing the marvel that is Shola Olunloyo's remarkable apartment restaurant. Makes me want to jump on SouthWest and take that $39 Providence-Philly OW bargain flight just for the night.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 4 weeks later...

I trust you all are still reading the foodblogs? Too many great ones for me to feel right about singling out one over another, though I do have my favorites. Also, the cookoffs and of course the Dinner! thread are evergreens. (Some really excellent stuff on the Breakfast thread, too.)

But those of you who don't frequent the China and Chinese Cuisine forum might not have been looking at the Home Cooking Series threads that hzrt8w has started, with great step-by-step photos of Cantonese dishes he's been cooking. So far, no-one has posted anything that gives links to all of them, nor have links to earlier ones been posted in later ones, and "Home Cooking Series" appears only in the subtitle, which makes it difficult to search for each thread except to go to the China forum and do an "Edit - Find" for "home cooking" (which works OK as long as the threads remain on p. 1), but here for your convenience are links to the threads in the series at posting time:

Pictorial: Fish Cakes with Sa Cha Sauce

Pictorial: Soy Sauce Chicken

Pictorial: Stir-fried Bitter Melons, foo yu

Pictorial: Steamed Chicken with Mushrooms

Stir-fried Mustard Greens w/ Salted Fish

Look for more installments of the Home Cooking Series in the China and Chinese Cuisine forum.

Another great thread with wonderful photos is the one Adam Balic started and has posted copiously to, on Greek Food Images, Hydra.

For another of Adam's wonderful ideas, with notable participation by several others, have a look at Fish and other seafood, Images and discussion, which is already four pages long.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 weeks later...

Newer great thread started and with a bunch of photos by Adam Balic:

Lithuania Food Images

Also, this thread has links to all of hzrt8w's Chinese Food Pictorials (of which there are already several more than there were when I last posted to this thread).

Also, I can't help mentioning that among all the great foodblogs, the latest one, by Chrisamirault, was one of the best.

Michael aka "Pan"

Also, the cookoffs and of course the Dinner! thread are evergreens. (Some really excellent stuff on the Breakfast thread, too.)

Please do not forget the Dinner II thread :wink:.

Plus the Doug, Mariani(spl), and diva review threads if you like to ruberneck :shock:

• 1 month later...

Have a look at this thread:

Chinese in Vancouver

Even if you have no plans to visit Vancouver, you can just look at the pictures. In particular, what great stuff canucklehead has posted! And after looking, you'll probably want to go to Vancouver.

And it's really high time that someone put a link to the thread on Dutch Cooking, on which Klary has been posting so many fascinating, delicious-looking things, with background.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't seen it, Chufi's topic on Dutch cooking is nothing short of amazing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 4 months later...

For me, the multiyear, multipage photo and delicious description encrusted

French Laundry Thread just keeps getting better and better.

Such fab photos to help us visualze that menu, such educated palates to give us a glimpse at what is good, and not as good (I don't dare say BAD ! Not possible!)

Someday, after the kid is out of college (4th year of 5, wants to get her phD.....how can I say no?)

:rolleyes:

My current favorite is:

"The rehabilitation of a failed baker, A progress report" in the Pastry & Baking forum.

Gerhard (gsquared) is a real trooper and is getting some great advice from the world over.

Plus, he has a great sense of humor:

The Artist, Lori, is a fount of useless advice in this endeavour. "Play it some Mozart" she shouted last night, giggling like train. As a person attempting to apply the scientific process, I did not find it particularly helpful. Not the advice nor the giggling....

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've got another one: the Studio Kitchen thread detailing the marvel that is Shola Olunloyo's remarkable apartment restaurant. Makes me want to jump on SouthWest and take that $39 Providence-Philly OW bargain flight just for the night.

Of course, you probably know by now that if you haven't made it down here since then, you're out of luck.

Shola has hung up his toque as an almost-private chef. After a sabbatical in Europe, he's returning to Philly as a private chef.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Here's the link for "Ladies Who Lunch" since the one Fresser posted doesn't seem to be working. Credit is due its author, Karen Resta.

Many of my favorites are already stated, and I believe Kevin Dowling has been applauded for his own nerdy New Year's Resolution and subsequent "Year of Italian Cooking". However, I'd also like to draw your attention to the lively debate that ensued on Let's Discuss Italian Ragu.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath