• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Virginia wineries

sara

Hi

I'm driving from DC to Richmond later this summer and hoping to hit some of the VA wineries on the way. Please help me plan. Besides Barboursville, where are the best?? It seems to me that going to Richmond by way of Warrenton and Charlottsville makes sense--do you agree? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Last week, we went to the Inn at Little Washington for a birthday dinner. Before dinner, we spent the day touring wineries. We had a driver from Oasis. We went to Rappahanock, Piedmont, and Chrysalis. I don't know much about wine, so I can't really rate them. But, they were well run by friendly people in a beautiful part of the country, and we had a great time.

From DC, you would likely head out 66 and then, after touring the wineries, take 17 over to Fredericksburg and then 95 to Richmond (or something like that)

I'd have to look at a map to see if they're convenient to you, but if you can, check out Christensen Ridge and Veritas-- two of the best in terms of both quality of wine and beauty of the property in VA.

Edited to add: Map of Central VA Wineries

Looks like you could go out 29, West on 64 and hit them both. Then just turn around on 64 to go to Richmond.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Last week this article by Roger Scruton appeared in the UK's New Statesman magazine.

Roger Scruton (a claret fan) is very fond of 'Horton Norton', which he says is made by Horton from a native Virginian varietal, the Norton. Looking at Horton's website, I can see all sorts of grapes, but nothing called Norton. Can anyone explain?

First among these grapes is the Norton, native to Virginia, cultivated by Thomas Jefferson at Monticello, and subsequently planted on many Virginian estates... Uniquely suited to the Old Dominion's humid climate, the Norton gave rise, in the late 19th century, to a serious "claret", produced by the Monticello Wine Company and entered successfully for international competitions.

Looking at Horton's website, I can see all sorts of grapes, but nothing called Norton. Can anyone explain?

D'oh - just used Google to search the Horton site and found Norton sitting there after all, right under my nose.

Does anyone have any experience of this wine? Worthwhile? Is the claret (Bordeaux) comparison fair?

I wrote my monthly wine article on 6 wineries I visited last Fall in the Central VA area. I would be happy to send it to you as a word document.

Although Horton does make a good to fine Norton, I think they also have some problems with over the hill wines. Just my $.02.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

You can visit my web site and get trip reports etc on Virginia vineyards: www.AboutVirginiaWine.com If you have the time, I would drive down Route 29 to Charlottesville, then take I 68 to Richmond. On your return, come up I-95. Spend a day in the Charlottesville area visiting wineries. There are far too many for one day, but pick a cluster and enjoy. When you are coming back from Richmond, stop at James River and Hartwood which are not very far off of I-95.

As you live in DC, I would suggest future day trips. Most of the Northern Virginia Wineries are in clusters, and you can visit three or four quite easily.

A Tip of the Wine Glass,

Rob Roy

My wife and I also visited Oakencroft and Williamsburg Winery, and found both of these to be worthwhile stops. It's exciting to see Virginia developing into another quality wine region. It's also a beautiful drive, visiting wineries in between the plantations!

• 15 years later...
1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Reviving this topic.  Beautiful weather in Northern Virginia this weekend.  We went to Barrel Oak Winery.  They had a tub where one could crush grapes.  It was fun!  Sipping a glass of cold wine overlooking Shenandoah valley was very relaxing.

http://www.barreloak.com/

B5EE8ADB-9005-4F90-B05B-2417734B6664.thumb.jpeg.c4240b2412711a299dd934ba5c523924.jpeg

Great shorts for the occasion.

Rather reminds me of the movie The Mouse That Roared.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For anyone from out of state poking about, Virginia wineries are still hit or miss.  There are some really fantastic ones (Horton seems to have matured well as a winery) and some that offer a nice view.  I cannot give a hard and fast rule as to how to find the good ones.  Personally, I can recommend Virginia Wineworks (winery, sans vineyard) and the Snort (love the name) from The Winery at La Grange in Haymarket.  It is well worth researching where you are going so as to not be disappointed by Kool-aid flavored plonk.  And it is worth researching to find the good ones as well.  There really are some gems worth the effort to discover.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, donk79 said:

For anyone from out of state poking about, Virginia wineries are still hit or miss.  There are some really fantastic ones (Horton seems to have matured well as a winery) and some that offer a nice view.  I cannot give a hard and fast rule as to how to find the good ones.  Personally, I can recommend Virginia Wineworks (winery, sans vineyard) and the Snort (love the name) from The Winery at La Grange in Haymarket.  It is well worth researching where you are going so as to not be disappointed by Kool-aid flavored plonk.  And it is worth researching to find the good ones as well.  There really are some gems worth the effort to discover.

Some great recommendations donk79. To your list I would add the following recommendations: Linden Vineyards and Pearmund.

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

Shorts?!  'Dem be some very short manly shorts!

My guess is more like boxers (underwear)!

I had more in mind the color.

9 hours ago, TicTac said:

Shorts?!  'Dem be some very short manly shorts!

My guess is more like boxers (underwear)!

I am a girl.  Ok, a woman of certain age :).  I wore those short shirts in case of grape juice splashes.  Those are not boxers.  Not boxers.  Definitely not boxers.  I am generally very proper and boring.  Next time I will wear full length pants :).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

for reasons unrelated . . . we used to drive past here regularly (On Rt 29, south of Culpepper)

https://www.princemichel.com/

in the category of reasonable pricing:

they do a chardonnay that is finished in stainless - avoids the oak tones - remarkable difference to same wine oak aged.

some of the merlots are a pleasant glass.  (I'm not fond of a heavy tannin)

full tastings available - complimentary if you buy $x dollars.

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

I am a girl.  Ok, a woman of certain age :).  I wore those short shirts in case of grape juice splashes.  Those are not boxers.  Not boxers.  Definitely not boxers.  I am generally very proper and boring.  Next time I will wear full length pants :).

How about a white crinoline petticoat which you then hold up by both hands?

P.S.  Where do you buy your winetasting apparel?

Edit:  though it does look like you have your knees on backwards.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How about a white crinoline petticoat which you then hold up by both hands?

P.S.  Where do you buy your winetasting apparel?

Edit:  though it does look like you have your knees on backwards.

Never had a petticoat.  Shorts (still not boxers) are from Talbots, the ultimate middle aged woman store.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kayb said:

Personally, I was liking the shorts. Being of a certain age means you shrug off the naysayers and go on.

But at the moment Talbots doesn't have them.