• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Tenderloin

cjsadler

Ok last suggestion this is my weird one..

I am a big fan of Portugese Food and one of my favorite dishes is pork with clams.. The pork is normally a butt and cut into cubes.. But I was thinking (still not sure) if it might be cool to actually stuff a pork tenderloin with clams.. The clams will certainly keep the meat moist.. Here are the normally ingrediants in pork with clams.. I think a combo of this might work.. In fact, I am really considering this for dinner tonight.. I might even use big cubes of bacon with the clams in the stuffing,..

2-pound boneless pork shoulder or butt, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 cup dry white wine, or as needed

3 tablespoons sweet paprika

1 bay leaf

2 whole cloves

5 cloves garlic, chopped

4 tablespoons lard or olive oil

2 yellow onions, chopped

4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced

2 pounds small clams such as Manila, well scrubbed

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley

Edited by Daniel (log)

I just did a Christmas dinner for eight using three pork tenderloins, butterflied and re-rolled with prosciutto slices inside. Once tied, I dredged in fresh-ground cumin, coriander, s & p, cinnamon - seared, then finished in a 350 oven for 40 minutes. Made a sauce with pomegranate paste, brown sugar, good sherry, chix stock and cloves.

Found most of that knockin' around here. It was a hit. :smile:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Hi everyone! I never have time to post anymore but I had this recipe in "word" so I'll copy it for you. It's really good. I created it for a "Maille Dijon" contest. I didn't win (dammit!) but hope you enjoy. (If you don't want to grill the meat, pan saute on high, then finish it in the oven)

Jane :cool:

Dijon Marmalade Grilled Pork Tenderloin

with Bitter Greens and Crystallized Ginger Jane Maher Oxford, CT

Ingredients:

Two lean pork tenderloins (about 1 lb. each)

4 cups mixed baby greens

3 cups mixed bitter greens such as frisee’, raddicchio, Belgian endive, and curly mustard green tops (if available) cut into thin strips

1/3 cup sliced Vidalia onion

¼ cup chopped walnuts

½ tsp. mustard seeds

3 Tbsp. Maille Dijon Mustard

3 Tbsp. English Orange Marmalade

4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar

2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice

1 Tbsp. crystallized ginger cut into very thin strips or pieces

Sea salt

Fresh ground pepper

Rinse and pat dry the pork, then sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 Tbsp. Mail Dijon mustard, 2 Tbsp. Marmalade, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add the pork to the bowl and massage the marinade into the meat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.

Place the walnuts and mustard seeds in a skillet and stir gently on low until they begin to toast, and the mustard seeds begin to pop. Set aside to cool.

Pre heat the grill to medium-high.

Arrange the baby greens on a serving platter and top them with the bitter greens and Vidalia onions.

Grill the pork tenderloin on medium until nicely charred on each side, but still a bit pink in the center. Remove from the grill and let it rest.

Make a vinaigrette using the remaining ingredients (1 Tbsp. of Dijon, 1Tbsp.marmalade, 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 2Tbsp. orange juice, 3 Tbsp. olive oil) and drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad greens.

Slice the pork tenderloins on a diagonal into 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange overlapping in a row down the center of the salad greens. Sprinkle the crystallized ginger slices, walnuts, and mustard seeds over all.

Serve immediately. Serves about 6 people.

JANE

I just made something for Xmas that went over really well.. Take ground pork and cook it with fennel,garlic, onions and fennel seeds.. I might even pour a little sambuca in the pan.. Then stuff in the pork tenderloin..  Cooked with onions and wine.. 

So, kind of a homemade sausage filling. I like the idea. Have you tried using the filling raw instead of cooked? Just thinking that if you bound the sausage filling in a standing mixer (as you would before stuffing in to casings), then stuffed it in to the tenderloin, the sausage filling would maintain a nice, juicy, sausage-like texture inside the loin. I guess the only issue would be cooking the filling through without overcooking the loin... now that I think this through, maybe pre-cooked is the way to go. I was just thinking that the texture of the cooked-in-place sausage filling would be better.

Maybe sous-vide would do the trick - cook the stuffing in-place, but without overcooking the tenderloin. Sear before service...

Mmm... pork stuffed pork; how can you go wrong?

-Dan

Why make life more difficult on a stressful night? This sounds weird, but it is good, I promise.

Mix 3/4 cup of mayo with 1 pkg of onion soup mix. Cover the entire loin in this mixture. No need for salt, you may want to add a bit of pepper. Bake at 350 until a thermometer reads the doneness of your choice. Slice and serve. Makes great sandwiches the next day.

As easy as a recipe gets, and it really is good. I was a little skittish at the whole mayo used in baking thing until I realized, it's just eggs and oil. Or use the mayo base and your own spice mix. A word of advice, you do get quite a lot of free oil during cooking. Don't be alarmed.

edited for typos. flippin laptop keyboard.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

At a church social one member brought 3 grilled tenderlions & had different glaze on each with 3 bowls of extra sauce. 1 was kicked up hot pepper jelly based, 2 was a blackberry base, 3 was a garlic base sauce. It was a great idea & very tasty too.

Here is an interesting movie showing two ways to prepare pork tenderloins...

http://www.porkpeople.com/retail2/videocli..._tenderloin.mov

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

...I created it for a "Maille Dijon" contest. I didn't win (dammit!) but hope you enjoy. (If you don't want to grill the meat, pan saute on high, then finish it in the oven)

Jane :cool:

Dijon Marmalade Grilled Pork Tenderloin

with Bitter Greens and Crystallized Ginger  Jane Maher    Oxford, CT

Oh, man! Wish I'd checked this thread out earlier...I made pork tenderloin tonight (really simple, just studded with some garlic, rubbed with thyme, salt and pepper, pan-seared, then finished in the oven), but this would have been excellent, especially with juice from the Honeydews my mom sent today. Going in the file...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Well, little did I know that egullet was shutting down until NY's Eve, so I hadn't had a chance to print out any of the fine suggestions posted in this thread.

By happenstance, though, Fast Food My Way was on Saturday (Dec. 30), and Jacque Pepin made a pork tenderloin dish, so that is what we used the 4 tenderloins for.

Make small tournedoes, smashed 'em down to 1/4" thick, I dragged them in a flour mixture containing S&P first (which was not part of his technique), then dipped them in the egg wash, and then fresh bread crumbs from a fresh loaf of bread I baked just to use for this! In the bread crumbs was some shaved Parmesan.

Then fry them in oil and butter, set aside, then saute some onions, and then add lots of sliced mushrooms. When the mushrooms were done losing their "water", I added some chopped fresh chives, and the juice of fresh lemons, then ladled that over the fried tenderloin "scallopines".

The wife was skeptical at first due to the lack of much "sauce", but one bite, especially accompanied by the "brightness" of the kiss of fresh lemon juice, and she goes out and buys 6 more tenderloins!

Also, she bought a 4 lb pork loin to try the recipe with 2lbs of ground pork, fennel, fennel seed, etc. that was also posted her to try this coming weekend!

And we've yet to try some of other recipes offered on this thread!

Thanks, and Happy New Year to you all!

doc

Edited by deltadoc (log)

In yesterday's NY Times, Mark Bittman's Minimalist column gives another treatment for pork tenderloins. He takes the whole pork tenderloin, seasons it with S&P, and browns the outside well in medium-high heated butter and/or oil, all the way around. He removes the meat from the pan, and lets it rest and the pan cool. Once that happens, he turns the heat up again, adds more fat to the pan, and slices the browned tenderloin into inch-thick "steaks" which then get browned again on the newly cut sides. (Presumably, you could vary the doneness of the "steaks" by the thickness of the cut or the heat you use for the second browning.) Finally, when the pork is all browned, you build a sauce for them in the well-browned pan (Bittman suggests water to deglaze, cream to thicken, and calvados or lemon juice or mustard to flavor).

Looks promising, and possibly interesting to modify for grilling season. But I haven't tried it myself yet.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 months later...

I know this post is too late but thought I'd chime in.

The other day I wrapped some pork tenderloin medallions with a slice of bacon. Then I seared them and spooned a balsamic reduction sauce over them.

Oh man, were they good.

• 4 years later...

This is getting near the best pork tenderloin I have done!!

Thin Pork Lion--- that thanks to my buddy TOM COLE( not around here ) -- I bought a Jaccarding device. Rather than pounding it to the desired thickness, I used the Jaccard to tenderize it!! KILLLLLLER

I seasoned with salt/pepper/flour (the pork)-- dipped in a Buttermilk mixture-- of egg, Buttermilk,cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning--- then into Ground corn flakes. The key here is to let it rest in the frig after for an hr to bind. I fried in Canola oil @350 till done-- keep warm in a 200F oven.

6449505045_d44e27aa12.jpg

Serve with Mustard,Home-style pickles , red onion, This is the Hawaiian sweet roll tonight!!

I'm thinking beer but the NOVY zin Papera Ranch is drinking killer too..

Its good to have Morels