• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Europe in Glover Park

How's the food and drink in this joint? It certainly looks intriguing from the outside. I'm a big fan of German cuisine, and Washingtonian says it's the oldest German restaurant in the city. Their asparagus festival is going on right now.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

I like Old Europe for what it is - sort of a fusty old Bavarian throwback to the 1970s. I've gone to their asparagus festival a couple of times in recent years, and have always enjoyed it (I definitely recommend getting one of the asparagus dishes). The last time I was there, they had a wonderful older woman playing the piano and singing - that she happened to be blind did not hinder her from shamelessly belting out her music. And the time before that there was a strolling violinist who was actively (and hilariously) angering the waitresses with his vocal outbursts right when they happened to walk by him.

This is definitely not a hip crowd, but would be a wonderful place to take an older parent for their birthday.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I like Old Europe for what it is - sort of a fusty old Bavarian throwback to the 1970s. I've gone to their asparagus festival a couple of times in recent years, and have always enjoyed it (I definitely recommend getting one of the asparagus dishes). The last time I was there, they had a wonderful older woman playing the piano and singing - that she happened to be blind did not hinder her from shamelessly belting out her music. And the time before that there was a strolling violinist who was actively (and hilariously) angering the waitresses with his vocal outbursts right when they happened to walk by him.

This is definitely not a hip crowd, but would be a wonderful place to take an older parent for their birthday.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Mein Gott!!!! Ach Du Liebe!!!! Um Himmels Villen!!!!

This place is still around??? I'll have to creep there at some point. I take it they still have a dope Schnitzel?

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

• 4 months later...

Just had lunch at Old Europe for their Oktoberfest celebration. They have a fantastic Oktoberfest Bock which I enjoyed with their Wurst platter (weiss, brat and bauern wurst), potato pankcakes and superb sauerkraut. a bargin at $10.95!