• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Comptoir de Celestin

winemike

I've been there some days ago and bought some baguettes and "pains au chocolat". They're brilliant. Just like in France with a well baked baguette and buttery and crispy pains au chocolat. I'll definitely go back there to try some other stuff they make (the macaroons looked great too).

The restaurant looks really good too, I'm planning to go one of these days. Has anyone been there ? What are your thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mike.

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

I live right down the street and have enjoyed their croissants, baguettes and pains au chocolat. When they first opened, you'd have to call ahead to make sure they weren't already sold out of bread. Haven't been to the restaurant yet, but heard good things.

Went once about 6 months ago.

Food was pretty good but expensive for what we got (don't recall the intimate details).

Wine list was bizarre. About 90% red - yet about 80% of the dishes offered I would choose a white wine to accompany. So compromise was needed - and the wine list only had a handful of wines under $50 (I am prepared to spend more but not if I can't find a reasonable food and wine match).

Service was similarly bizarre. A mixture of very good and very bad. I got the impression that the servers had been overtrained, yet were inexperienced. Often they didn't notice that service was required (e.g. wrong utensils for the dish; empty wine glasses). Yet, when they did notice that service was needed the performance seemed exaggerated e.g. to refill wine glass:

1. lift up bottle

2. place feet 0.37 metres apart

3. turn bottle so that label faces diner

4. place left hand behind back ensuring that it's parallel to the floor

5. replenish glass to 31.2% full imaginary mark

6. turn 20 degrees towards next diner

repeat as required.

Overall not bad - but expensive for that neighbourhood (over $150 for two with under $50 bottle of wine), which is mostly local bistro type restaurants. And I don't particularly like the room. The black and white tiles make the room (which otherwise is excellent) seem harsh. Didn't return.

Ditto on the restaurant review.

It was way too expensive for the neighbourhood and inconsistent in service. Good service at times then long long long waits.

When Quartier needs the business, provides good food and service and is much more reasonable (after a short high price stage which has stopped), I don't think I'll go back for a long time to Celestine.

I had a number of problems with Quartier - arrogance being the main one: I ordered something which arrived with different accompaniments - when I protested, I was told - it's spring; we're using different vegetables than on the menu and haven't got around to changing it. Then refused to take the dish back - which I'd ordered to get the advertised celeriac.

That was over a year ago - hasn't the chef also changed since then? Any update on price and quality?

Quartier's chef did change and the arrogance you refered to left with the old chef. As for the Celestin bakery, one look and an unfortunate sniff at their pastry chef (standing at the opposite end of the room) turned me off completely. He may be brilliant with the cakes, but someone who has no concept of personal hygene will not get my business.