• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Master (mentioned in El Bulli book)

Zeb A

In the El Bulli cookbook, there are recipes for a number of layered cocktails that require the use of a Cocktail Master. I can't seem to find this device for sale anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm in the US, so US vendors would make shipping costs less. Thanks

(I guess I can always go with the ol' back of the spoon, but this device sounds helpful for making a mass of layered drinks)

Thanks

Somehow I don't think that is it as I do not believe it is not designed to mass produce several drinks at one time.... But then I have to ask is that what Zeb is after? Layering several drinks all at once with one device, versus using a bunch of plastic floats?

This may be a direct link (I hope it works) and appears to be not much more than a fisherman's float. :rolleyes:

http://www.barstore.com/affiliatestore/media/BT4043b.html

But it could work.

Thanks.

This is what I am looking for, but the cost to ship this to the US from UK is too much.

I also found it in Australia, but that isn't much better.

Basically, we are having a large dinner party. I was going to make about 14-24 glasses of a drink from the El Bulli cookbook, but it requires the use of this device, which I can't find.

I couldprobably achieve the layered effect the old fashioned way over the back of a spoon, but I may not have time to do that for so many drinks.

Anyone else know where I might find this device?

Zeb,

I figured this was something that would most likely be found in bar supplies on the other side of the pond(s).

What about giving those silly bar floats a try from the linked Bar Store? You get six per package for $3.59, so purchase a dozen, line up the glassware with these babies in them and drag pour and wait for the liquors/liqueurs settle. Much easier than making one at a time hand holding a cherry or back of a spoon, or using the twirled long end of a long bar spoon.

But you'd need the exact instructions on what to pour first (I haven't looked at this cookbook yet) or know each of the liquor/liqueur densities. I do know of some tables for that, so this is still worth a try!

What is the pousse café you intend to make?

Zeb, the bar floats that Beans pointed to operate exactly like the "Cocktail Master" you found on the english website, the primary difference is that the "Cocktail Master" sticks the float at the end of a contraption that guides the pouring a little better. While the Cocktail Master will probably work better, the bar float, with a little practice, should do a fine job... and cost a lot less. You could even buy enough bar floats for each glass, and this way make all the drinks at once.

-Robert

• 1 month later...

I know that this is probably way too late for Zeb's dinner party, but this just came across my radar, and I thought you all might like to see it. It appears to be a much cheaper version of the El Bulli Cocktail Master.