• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas dining in/near Hudson County?

Casey

My in laws thought they had a restaurant we were going to, but it turns out they are not open on Christmas Day (mother in law tells me this last night as we return from vacation!).  Any thoughts on where we might go?  We're a group of 6, and would be picking the in laws up in Bayonne prior to heading out.  Thanks!

Most places are closed Christmas Day. Here are two that are open.

Executive Chef Walter Leffler and his culinary team will be preparing a feast of holiday favorites for Christmas Day brunch in The Terrace or The Dining Room restaurants at The Hilton Short Hills, 41 JFK Parkway, Short Hills. Seating times in The Terrace are 11 and 11:30 AM; 2, 2:30, 5 and 5:30 PM; the Dining Room’s seating times are 12:00, 12:30, 3 and 3:30 PM; adults ็ children 12 and younger ห.50. Tax and gratuities are not included. Reservations are required and may be made by calling 973-379-0100, extension 7930.

The Hunt Club Grill Restaurant at The Grand Summit Hotel, 570 Springfield Ave, Summit will be open throughout the Christmas holidays.  A buffet brunch will be served Christmas Day: 12 noon or 3 PM; adults เ.95; children ages 4 to 12 ฟ.95. Christmas dinner will be served from 6 to 9 PM. Call 908-273-3000 for information and reservations.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I think I need to cast my net wider.  Both are of course booked solid!  Anyone have alternate thoughts in nearby Essex or Bergen, or even Middlesex or Union counties?

Casey (who is still adjusting to sweaters and layers after spending the week on a tropical beach!)

Thanks Rosie!  We actually found a spanish/portugese restaurant in Bayonne that is open called Mediterraneo.  My husband and I used to go there when we first got married, and the food is decent (at least its better than my mother in laws!).  I'll let you know how it turns out.  The most important thing isn't really the food, especially this holiday--its that we're all together and safe and healthy....

Casey....