• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Plantains

cbarre02

I was wondering if any here has ventured beyond the simple fried sweet plaintians, and tried to do something more with them. I know that plantians usually end up on the savory table in most south american countries, but i find the black ones so sweet that they would lend themselves nicely to dessert preparations. I am thinkig a Black Plaintian "Tarte Titan" toped with ice cream of choice, these little guys caramalize so nice and with out burning.

Edited by cbarre02 (log)

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

Bayamo, a restaurant that used to be on Broadway between 4th and 5th, used to serve platanos maduros flambeed in rum accompanied by...hmmm...vanilla ice cream?? Dulce de leche? It's been a while (like maybe 8 years or something), but the dessert was excellent and one of the best things in that somewhat pricey place.

Anyway, I think your idea is a good one.

Michael aka "Pan"

If you are interested in a homestyle use, there is a Filipino dessert called Ginataan that calls for Plantains. This was a great only once-in-a-while treat in our house. The basic (Americanized) recipe calls for Plantains, Yams or Sweet Potatoes, Langka, Tapioca Pearls, Coconut Milk, Creamed Corn and Sugar. There are many variations of this dessert and a quick internet search would probably yield you a more authentic version.

I agree. Your Tarte Tatin idea sounds lovely. We always sprinkle our fried plantain with sugar right after we take them from the pan.

Natasha

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

A Tarte Tatin sounds wonderful...and those plantains are a lot more flavorful than an overripe banana. Texture wise, it is not as mushy and will retain its shape better. Let us know how it works out

Portia

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I will post a picture of the final outcome. Any other ideas as to what can be done, as far as more modern aproaches go?

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

lots of applications for mashed too. maybe fried pies or turnovers. (i'm getitng this hazy memory of sweet plantain turnovers at Patty King on Elmont Road on Long Island)

Well here they are. I did individual sized tarte tatins, only six 1/8 slices of black plantain. about 2 1/4 inches in diameter.

Melted some whole butter, put two teaspoons in a self constructed aluminum foil pan. Topped that off with two teaspoons of sugar, and a touch of salt (i love salted caramel). Pin wheeled the six slice of black plantain in the foil. Bake in the aluminum foil (on a pizza stone) for 15 min @ 400F. I remove it from the oven and used a sable base to invert the plantains onto, the base is about the same size (or a bit smaller) than the pin wheel. a>

i7432.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I took them whith my phone. I guess i realize phones should be ment for callin people.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

I slice them diagonally about 1/2 inch thick, dip them in a ver simple sweet fritter batter and deep fry them.

I had them like this at a Mexican street fair in Guadalahara about 20 years ago. The same place was making candied sweet potato slices on a brazier and served them on sticks like lolipops.

I still haven't figured out how they did those but I have the plantains down pat.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you boil and mash them with plenty of liquid, then sieve to remove seeds, when they cool they will begin to set up, just like a thick bechamel. You can form them into croquettes, bread, and fry them, and serve with chocolate sauce or dulce de leche. And ice cream.