• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heartland Artisanal Cheese

Mentioned above is the Blue Cheese being made in Cresco Iowa. Well I visited the factory. It's about the middle of almost nowhere, but lovely part of Iowa. I was attending the Seed Savers Exchange Conference in Decorrah, and found a reference for this cheese on the web before my trip, and it was only about 20 miles away, so I made a field trip out to the factory.

Great place. It is called Schwarz und Weifl (note it was incorrectly spelled above) and also known as the Golden Ridge Dairy http://goldenridgecheese.com

They are an Amish Dairy, with mostly non-Amish working the cheese factory - except for the store - where you'll be greated by very friendly Amish workers.

You might think that the Amish would espouse organic farming methods, but you'd be wrong. They use chemicals just like other farmers, though not usually as profusly. They might work a field with plow horses, but they still often buy the same fertilizers and pesticides as other mechanized farmers. Well not this dairy. While not strictly 'organic' by either US or Iowa Law, they are grass fed cows, with no pesticides or antibiotics used (or as little as possible).

The standard cheeses are a natural rind cheese inspired by French and Spanish styles, as well as a washed rind variety (I think they call it 'white'). Unavailable then (In July) but to be offered on a limited basis was to be a higher cream content (and therefore fat) Natural Rind Blue - reminiscent of some Gorganzollas.

Well I went for the natural rind and bought a 5 LB wheel. It's cheap! about $3.50/LB! How long will this pricing last, I don't know. But I am convinced that those $15-$20 cheeses, while quite good are out of out the price range of most budgets. These sustainably produced foods need to be sustainably priced too. How can US cheeses bought at the factory be more than artisinal cheeses imported from Europe! Cheese to the people!

The natural rind blue was and still is fantastic (I bought it in July and it's still aging beautifully). When first tasted it's pretty mild for a blue. But in my estimation, is much better them Maytag. It's creamier, and richer, with a hint of the grass that the cows ate. Very refreshing and clean - but also sort of woodsy. After aging in my refrigerator, loosely packed, it has become much more pungent, and I think better, not sharp, but with rich complex flavors - very ballanced. It's a wonderfull cheese.

Wish I was there for the High Cream version - maybe I'll get there on my way back to Utah from here in River Falls.

I'm originally from River Falls, WI, where the UW-River Falls Campus is known as Moo U. Anyway, a friend of mine recently attended the 10th Great Lakes Dairy Sheep Symposium http://www.dsana.org/2004_symposium.php, which was centered in the Western WI, SW MN area. Unbenounced to me there is an emerging sheep dairy industry here. Great! My favorite Hard (or at least not soft like brie) cheese are those of the Basque Region of Spain and France. Top amoung them Ossau-Iraty-Brebis Pyrenees (not sure if all of this name or if they are alternative names) is my all time favorite.

http://www.cdr.wisc.edu/cheesedb.nsf/05066...33;OpenDocument

It is marketed as Prince de Claverolle and Etorki accoring to the Splendid Table. I came accross it at Powels Cookbook Store in Portland, which had (maybe still does) a great cheese selection!

I am hoping for some quality sheep cheese to emerge in the US, and am started on my journey of discovery.

Not all milk comes from cows... even in Wisconsin.

Check out Lovetree Farmstead Cheese here

I have had a few of theirs and they are quite unique and really of great quality.

With the internet, great cheese is only a click away.

The best cheddar I have had comes from Grafton Village Cheese in Vermont. They ship nationally.

Some of my favorites have included the bleu from Cresco, IA, which has just been outed by the Cheese Society competition (which i am incredibly jealous of Artichoke for attending, as i was forced to dance at a wedding instead) as one of the best. I've also enjoyed a garlic and basil chevre from Northern Prairie Chevre recently.

TM - have you been to the cheeseplant norht of Cresco? Nice folks there, great price on the cheese ($5/lb!), and there's a honey producer right across the road.

For finding Schwarz und Weiss in Iowa City, and Northern Prairie's full line of goat cheeses, try John's Grocery's newly expanded selection that compliments their best-in-the-state beer and wine selection.

Also, of course, both of these cheeses are on my menu :rolleyes:

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

• 5 months later...

A very nice piece, by Patty LaNoue Stearns, appears in today's Chicago Tribune:

. . . Artisanal cheeses have been in the news lately--Saveur magazine devoted its April issue to the nation's boutique cheesemakers. Yet one small but significant Midwestern maker was overlooked: Leelanau Cheese.

In March, this tiny operation, which produces Swiss- and French-style cheeses, picked up a gold medal for its aged raclette at the 2005 World Cheese Awards in London, the world's largest international cheese competition. It also took a gold medal/best-in-class for its aged raclette and was first runner-up in the championship round that included more than 1,000 entries and 42 categories at the 2005 Wisconsin Cheesemakers Association's U.S. competition in April. . .

A raclette to respect

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Black Star Farms sounds like a very cool place to visit. Binny's did not have their raclette when I went in and I am tempted to drive on up and get some in person. We camp two hours south of there and I don't think it would take much to talk my husband into making a side trip.

My husband and I have been spending a considerable amount of time in London (he's there now, without me :sad:). Each time he brings back cheese from La Fromagerie. The last time we did a side-by-side taste comparison of Telaggio with cheese from La Fromagerie, Fox & Obel and Whole Foods. The cheese from La Fromagerie won by a landslide. I cannot tell you how very sad that was.

We've recently started talking about building our own cave because we have been disappointed by most of the cheese we buy here in Chicago. We've made mozzarella and we've always wanted to make more complicated cheeses but haven't had a place to put them. And we need someplace to store the cheeses he brings back.

We have been impressed by the local cheeses we've purchased at Pastoral and Binny's. It must be easier to store a locally produced cheese.

Now that I've seen a picture of Giles Schnierle, I remember buying cheese from him at CHIC two years ago. Unfortunately, I did not have the appreciation for cheese that I do now. His website lists where to buy his cheeses. I had never heard of Giselle's but I'm going to make it a point to go since it is in my neighborhood.

I have been so disappointed in buying cheeses. But that was then. Now that I have a better idea of where to buy good local cheeses, I am excited about my options. And I want to learn All About Cheese - how to buy store annd handle cheese, how to pair cheese with beverages, etc.

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Black Star Farms sounds like a very cool place to visit. Binny's did not have their raclette when I went in and I am tempted to drive on up and get some in person. We camp two hours south of there and I don't think it would take much to talk my husband into making a side trip.

- kim

I generally camp an hour or so north of the farm and stumbled across it a year or so ago. It is an absolutely gorgeous piece of work and the raclette is almost as scrumptious as the view. A visit is highly recommended to anyone with the inclination.

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

• 3 weeks later...

I just received word that The Great American Cheese Collection has hooked up with The Market at Botanicals and will be re-debuting at the weekly Sunday market at The Park at Lakeshore East (220 N. Parkway Drive), this Sunday at 8:00 am (through 1:00 pm).

Some of their offerings will include:

Fresh Mozzarella and Burrata

Zinfandel washed goat cheese from Bodega

New Stinky Cheese from Cato Corner - "Hooligan" - washed rind Jersey cow milk cheese

10 - YEAR CHEDDAR from Carr Valley - huge, crunchy and creamy

Silver Dollars - goat Cabichou - from Juniper Grove

Dutchman's Flat - ash layered creamy goat cheese "cake"

All in all, over eighty artisan American cheeses will be available.

=R=

New Stinky Cheese from Cato Corner - "Hooligan" - washed rind Jersey cow milk cheese

I have not had the Hooligan but the Drunken Hooligan by the same cheesemaker is an outstanding cheese. Pungent in the best sense. Be sure to give these cheeses a shot.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

• 8 months later...

While they didn't win the top prize this year, Wisconsin cheesemakers fared quite well at the recently completed World Championship Cheese Contest in Madison, WI, taking 18 best-of-class honors.

From today's Chicago Tribune:

Though all three of this year's top cheeses are European, Wisconsin cheesemakers won more awards than any state or nation, including 18 best-of-class honors in the 47 categories. Badger cheesemakers also took home 18 second-place awards and 16 third-place awards.

The Swiss wedge their way to the top at cheese championship, by Robin Mather Jenkins.

=R=

Thanks, Ronnie. We were up in Madison last weekend and had lunch at L'Etoile's Cafe Soleil. Delicious cheese plate, our favorite of which was a Carr Valley Kasa Creme served with Future Fruit pear butter. It had a flavor that someone described as gorgonzola without the blue. If you can imagine. Piquant, fer sure. I'm in charge of tracking it down in Chicago, so thanks for the links.

Thanks, Ronnie. We were up in Madison last weekend and had lunch at L'Etoile's Cafe Soleil. Delicious cheese plate, our favorite of which was a Carr Valley Kasa Creme served with Future Fruit pear butter.  It had a flavor that someone described as gorgonzola without the blue. If you can imagine. Piquant, fer sure. I'm in charge of tracking it down in Chicago, so thanks for the links.

That sounds absolutely delicious, hsm. I've enjoyed everything I've ever tasted from Carr Valley. I'd love to know if you find it somewhere in town. My first hunches on where to find it would be Fox & Obel, The Cheese Stands Alone or Pastoral.

=R=

That sounds absolutely delicious, hsm.  I've enjoyed everything I've ever tasted from Carr Valley.  I'd love to know if you find it somewhere in town.  My first hunches on where to find it would be Fox & Obel, The Cheese Stands Alone or Pastoral.

=R=

I'm trying F&O first, as it's closest. I'll keep you posted. **reaches for Lipitor**

• 9 months later...

Last year I made it to Welcome to Golden Ridge Cheese = Schwarz und Weiß (the weird letter stands for two s's). I bought some of the double cream version of the natural rind type - A two pound wheel - as well as a wheel of the regular.

I hit a dear making my way to Des Moines! Then....

Made it almost all the way home, but ran out of gas. While filling up the car with a spare container, the gas spilled on the trunk, and into it - and ruined the cheese!

Horrible.

So this year I will again repeat my journey from WI to IA - to UT via CO. And will pick up more. I still have a bit left, from a year and a half ago - but it's rather aged! Still great for dressings though!. The blues really age well. They also freeze well - but are not suitable for eating at the table after that - just for recipies.

Golden Ridge Cheese has not updated the website - and still don't have the exact name of the cheese I love so much listed. And they don't have a webform for ordering it. - But they ARE Amish after all. They will accept orders over the phone.

I also bought a wonderful handcrafted pillow - recycled from older down comforters and handmade in the Amish tradition. It's ten times any pillow I've ever had before!

I also love the Carr Valley Cheeses!

Later.

Best cheese ever (as mentioned much earlier on this thread...as well as the 'cheese' thread, which is now in the food culture area...i believe) is Caprialo Farms cheese. Judy, the owner, makes such wonderful goats cheeses. TRUST ME, I am a cheese aficiando, a self proclaimed cheese snob, persay....I love the stuff...eat way too much of it. Capriola is all goats cheeses....mmmmm

I also love stinky cheeses - and living in the heart of the city is great for this. We have wonderful cheese shops, I am a regular at about 6! Their sole focus is....nothing other than....CHEESE. mmmmm cheese

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

• 11 months later...

Golden Ridge / Schwarz und Weiß is closed. A press release said they had debt, quality (not that I noticed) and religious opposition due to the use of modern technology from the Old Order Amish investers in the firm. Too bad - it produced one the best blues I've had from the US (Maytag is good but this stuff was excellent). Oh well.

Amish Cheese Plant Closes

• 5 months later...

One of the biggest selections of artisan-produced American cheeses in the Chicago area is at the bi-weekly warehouse open houses of the Great American Cheese Collection.

9 a.m. to 1 p.m. alternate Saturdays (next: July 5, July 19)

4727 S. Talman, Chicago

773-519-5055

Payment: Cash, Check, Credit card

More info

LAZ