• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuck on Pyrat xo

edlope

I have tried the following rums and still none of them compares to Pyrat xo. I found a store in Los Angeles that sells it for 19.95 a bottle. They also sell others very cheap like Flor de Caña 4 years old for under 5.00

The following I have tried and none compares to Pyrat

Plantation Trinidad 1991

Brugal Añejo

Cruzan Single Barrel (quite good)

Flor de Caña (4 years old)

Zaya

Mount Gay Extra Old

Mount Gay Eclipse

Captain Morgan Private stock

Bacardi 8

Myers (yuck)

I drink neat. Do I go to Zacapa Centenario next or do I work my way up. The price I want to pay is under 40.00 per bottle. Please suggest three bottles for my graduation in the club.

Thank you.

Eddie :smile:

RZ Centenario is nice but it is not the same kind of rum as Pyrat. Its much more viscous and sweet. Its closer to a cognac than a rum, its very premium, very aged stuff.

Try Ron Pampero Anniversario, Matusalem Anejo Reserva, Barbancourt 5 Star, Ron Del Barrelito 3 Star, Appleton Extra or one of the various Demerera rums from Guyana. If you can get one, get a Rhum Agricole like Rhum Saint James -- Its from Martinique, which is in the the East Indies like Anguilla where Pyrat is from. All the notable Rhums are from Martinique, but they are very hard to come by in the US.

A domestic rum, called CANE from New Orleans Rum, which comes from Louisiana and is made from Louisiana black strap molasses and cane syrup, has a very simliar flavor profile to Pyrat.

Another rum from Australia that was recently imported into the US, Inner Circle, is also very good.

BTW of all the premium caribbean rums, I find Pyrat to be one of the most overpriced, and its not particularly aged at that, most of the rums in it aren't more than 6 years old.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have tried the following rums and still none of them compares to Pyrat xo. I found a store in Los Angeles that sells it for 19.95 a bottle. They also sell others very cheap like Flor de Caña 4 years old for under 5.00 

Can you reveal the identity of said store? None of the places near me seem to have much rum selection at all. :angry:

Yes LadyOscar. The name of the store is simply Superstore and it is in Alhambra, Ca about 10 miles East of downtown L.A. It is located at the corner of Atlantic and Alhambra Ave. The phone number is (626) 284-3258. Ask for Vic. He bought cases of Pyrat XO and the prices is steady at $19.95. He carries a wide selection of fine rums. I bought a bottle of Zacapa last night. The price before with tax was $32.00. :biggrin:

$19.00 a bottle for Pyrat Planters XO is a VERY good price. I bought a few bottles at $30 and I considered that to be aggressive.

The Planters is in the squat bottle and the "Pistol" is in the thin tall bottle. Pistol should sell for cheaper than Planters XO, its not as aged.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Pyrat Xo & El Dorado are 2 of my favorites.

El Dorado is one of the better Demerera rums.

Pyrat has a distinctive orange flavor that you won't find in most other rums. And as Jason pointed out it is made is Anguilla, but it is actually only blended there, the rum comes from other Caribbean islands.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...

Trader Joe's has the Pyrat XO for $19 a bottle also. I was a bit worried when I first saw it there as they often buy up final closeouts. Stocked up on a few just in case.

If you like the XO, try the Pyrat Blanca. It's a lighter rum from Pyrat, my current favorite for making dacquris or mojitos.

• 4 weeks later...

just picked them up about a week ago and had all 5 safe in the office at work,

bought a bottle down each shift to play around with and push onto my rum drinking customers.

only one i don't like is the guyana bottling, which to me has to many earthy vegetable flavours almost like germana cachaca (when you get a good bottle)

all the others are heaven,

can't decide on a favourite between the jamaica and the venezuela, i hope its the jamaica as the venezuela has very limited stock in the UK

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

• 1 year later...

The following I have tried and none compares to Pyrat

Plantation Trinidad 1991

Brugal Añejo

Cruzan Single Barrel (quite good)

Flor de Caña (4 years old)

Zaya

Mount Gay Extra Old

Mount Gay Eclipse

Captain Morgan Private stock

Bacardi 8

Myers (yuck)

I drink neat. Do I go to Zacapa Centenario next or do I work my way up. The price I want to pay is under 40.00 per bottle. Please suggest three bottles for my graduation in the club.

Thank you.

Eddie :smile:

Last week, I finished a bottle of Montecristo 12 yo, that reminded me a lot of Pyrat XO. I found it to be a little more complex and sweeter with a hint of berry.

I quite like the Pyrat, but lets be fair: a Rum with that much orange flovour in it should be called "flavoured Rum". There is no way the flavour comes from the sugar cane. It must be added, which means it should have another name.

It reminds me of Grand Marnier. This is a very good Cognac based Orange liquer, but the difference is they don't pretend to be Cognac. When, oh when, will the Rum producers have a bit more pride and protect the name Rum??????

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

Pyrat XO was my rum of choice for quite some time, until I tried Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 y/o. I'm still very partial to Diplomatico too though. But then my wife bought me a bottle of Pyrat Cask 23 when she was working in Anguilla (Jason, Anguilla is in the West Indies, not the East Indies) and I've never been the same since. I'm now on my 5th bottle of Pyrat Cask 23 and liking every sip of it. Every EXPENSIVE sip of it, I might add. I've tried the Pistol, and the 2 flavored varieties of it are pretty gross.

In between sipping Cask 23 I still dip into my Ron Zacapa and Diplomatico, but seldom Pyrat XO anymore. I'm still trying to figure out the Gosling Family Reserve Old Rum that I bought. Can't decide if I like it or not.

I like the Pyrat rums. Even though it is more like a spiced rum it is good to drink neat or with a little ice. The sweetness pairs well with some cigars. My local haunt has just put the Pyrat Pistol on super special for $7.99 for the 375ml bottle. I picked up 3 bottles to give it a try and found it very similar to the XO. I may have to go buy a few more while they are on special.

Occasionally, I run across some real deals on spirits, but there are deals and then there are DEALS. The latter are sometimes the result of a product being discontinued by a distributor. As a general guide, if you see a spiriit on sale for about half of the usual price, the special price isn't going to be repeated once the available stock is exhausted.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.