• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help need a restaurant near court house metro i

I pointed out the probable cause of the DC Tosca's difficulty was that it was trying to compete with Jaleo -- good luck there. But I didn't elaborate not wishing to discourage the kid.

I can't see Jaleo being competition for Tosca on any level.

Tapas vs. Italian

Casual setting vs. more formal

Inexpensive/moderate vs. moderate/expensive

i think he was referring to the tapas place LA TASCA...but maybe i am wrong...

My apologies -- Pastramionrye is correct. I was in my hooked on phonics mode and was referring to La Tasca -- vice Tosca

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I forgot to mention what could be really good news -- There is a new Best Cellars about to open across from Harry's down Clarendon Blvd. toward the Whole Foods.  It says it will have a wine bar as well as being a wine store.  Yipee  :biggrin:

I hand't heard that. There's something similar due to open this Summer in the spot where Whitey's bar was. Expect to see an illuminated "EATS" sign on ebay very soon.

I also heard that Whitey's was going to morph into a wine bar. I guess a sign of the times -- :cool: going from down home to chic

I pointed out the probable cause of the DC Tosca's difficulty was that it was trying to compete with Jaleo -- good luck there. But I didn't elaborate not wishing to discourage the kid.

Tapas vs. Italian

My apologies -- Pastramionrye is correct. I was in my hooked on phonics mode and was referring to La Tasca -- vice Tosca

My apologies too because I look like a big fat bitch who was trying to be smart. I really thought you meant Tosca and just didn't get it.

Where's that blushing smiley face when you need it?

Tapas vs. Italian

My apologies too because I look like a big fat bitch who was trying to be smart. I really thought you meant Tosca and just didn't get it.

My recollection is that it took you a while to figure out the "Ray's the Steaks" pun too.

Tapas vs. Italian

My recollection is that it took you a while to figure out the "Ray's the Steaks" pun too.

This quote feature is a blast! :biggrin: The more I think about how muddled I can get... Here's another question: Is it Tosca or La Tasca that is in the same neighborhood as Jaleo? :unsure:

Uh, both actually. That just makes it even funnier.

Tosca is on F between 12th and 13th.

Jaleo is around 7th and D, I think.

La Tasca isn't far from there, just north. About 7th and H or Eye.

That makes me feel better about this whole screw-up. Here's my instant pscho analysis: I subliminally incorporated the image of both restaurants in the neighborhood of Jaleo -- a Tapas restaurant -- and when I saw the Arlington La Tasca, it became in my mind Tosca (wishful thinking). Sound plausible?

Across from the Wood Grill is a new Tosca, so that part of Arlington is becoming replete with "trendy" eateries. I struck up a conversation with a young fellow at the Bailys in Ballston Common who is a bartender at the Arlington Tosca. He told me that he was about to go over to the Tosca downtown near the MCI Center, and that it was struggling. I pointed out the probable cause of the DC Tosca's difficulty was that it was trying to compete with Jaleo -- good luck there. But I didn't elaborate not wishing to discourage the kid.

Anyway-- haven't been able to get into the Arlington Tosca since I'm not willing to stand at the bar for 2 hours to wait for a table to sample industrial Tapas.

You mean Tasca (Spanish Tapas bar), not Tosca (Italian?), right?

I've been to La Tasca in Clarendon. Good drinks and desserts, mediocre tapas.

-Jason

That makes me feel better about this whole screw-up. Here's my instant pscho analysis: I subliminally incorporated the image of both restaurants in the neighborhood of Jaleo -- a Tapas restaurant -- and when I saw the Arlington La Tasca, it became in my mind Tosca (wishful thinking). Sound plausible?

I was with Cesare from Tosca tonight. I told him about this confusion of the last few posts. He told me that they get TONS of phone calls about their tapas selections and their new place in Arlington. We laughed about it.

Mark

having "dined" (if one can call it that) at the la tasca in covent garden during my sustained london self-imposed exile i can honestly truly without a doubt say it was the worst meal of relatively young life.

you would think that authentic spanish exiles could come to england (thanks to the eu work permit requirements which shine favorably on those yet it still remains impossible to have a proper shrimp and grits with buttery corn(maize?)bread) and cook, nay even PREPARE, propre spanish dishes but alas alack: not to be found (surprise! surprise!) in a worldwide chain.

i like that place that catalyzed the entire "penn quarter" when i remember that area being a mere "deleware dime."

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Uh, both actually.  That just makes it even funnier.

Tosca is on F between 12th and 13th.

Jaleo is around 7th and D, I think.

La Tasca isn't far from there, just north.  About 7th and H or Eye.

Good News! One of my wife's buds has a birthday tonight -- and we're going to (TA DAH!) Jaleo. Think I'll head over there early and do an inventory of the offerings in that neighborhood (Yes there are many) and get things sorted out in my own mind. I'll try to convince the group to wander over to Zaytinya at some point in the proceedings as well :biggrin:

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

HI All!

Thanks for the great sggestions! I did call Ray's the Steaks and they thought they could squeeze me in at 9:30 pm, they were very polite about it, but I thought it was a bit late. So we called the Boulevard Wood Grill, they have a "call ahead" policy that could us seats at 7:30 pm. The dinner was fantastic! I had the Halibut, my friends had the ribs and the salmon. We started with the crab, spinach and artichoke aptitizer. The wine selection by the glass was nice, and other than a over agreesive waiter plying us with drinks, the meal was great. I highly recomend this. My friends also went to Ireland's 4 courts and also enjoy themselves there.

Thanks!

:smile: