• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help need a restaurant near court house metro i

My friends are coming in fromout of town. They like good food, are frugal, and not very adventures. Any suggestions near court house metro? Or maybe old town for Staurday night? I was thinking of Cafe Tirolo, or cafe Monti

For me, the four best restaurants, with the most interesting and consistent food within a walk of the Courthouse metro, are Rays the Steaks, Minh's, Sing Thai and Boulevard Wood Grill, in that order.

I haven't had as much luck within the Movie plaza, where RT's is located though I haven't been to RT's in years...so given your criteria--frugal and not very adventurous--and assuming your friends might find real Thai and Vietnamese adventurous--I'd lean toward Boulevard Wood Grill as your best bet. Rays is likely above your price point (though worth every penny) and it is a very tough table to secure anyway. If your friends can do Vietnamese, Minh's is your best price/quality/value proposition in the whole area. (There's a lot of other cheap eats/ethnic/asian in the area which, except for the price, underwhelms.)

Boulevard Wood Grill is one metro stop away from Courthouse--and there are many other safe/unadventurous choices near Courthouse none of which I ever find as compelling: Harrys Tap Room, Faccia Luna, Iota, Rhodeside Grill, Clarendon Grill. Hard Times Chili is second on my just-formulated-for-you "Courthouse/Clarendon frugal/unadventurous but good" list after Boulevard Wood Grill--it can be a fun place if you like hard wooden booths, excellent beer, chili and very decently deep fried things.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thanks! Hard Times is a mainstay for me. they also have great wings! Is Rays the steaks that hard? what about price? 40-50 per? I might try that. Otherwise your other choices are fine!

Thanks! Hard Times is a mainstay for me. they also have great wings! Is Rays the steaks that hard? what about price? 40-50 per? I might try that. Otherwise your other choices are fine!

Ray's the Steaks is the first place that popped into my head when I saw your post, but on closer examination, I noticed the "inexpensive" limitation. You could do Ray's for $40-$50 per if you really watch your alcohol intake. You will not be disappointed (assuming you can get a table, what night did you have in mind??)

Agreed with Mark--I think it depends on how you try to "do" Rays--a couple of regulars from the neighborhood go in there, just order the hangar, a butcher's cut or the chopped steak and a +/- $30 bottle of wine and get out of there for say $85 tops including tax and tip for two. But even that results in a higher check average than what is usually considered "inexpensive," value and quality aside.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

I know this is going to sound like heresy to this gang, but it *is* possible to have a meal without alcohol.

:wink:

Yeah, breakfast!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

One of my favorite places to go around there is Hope Key, for chinese food. It's cheap and really, really good... in my opinion one of the best in the area. Try the wonton noodle soup, hong kong style, and you can't leave there w/o having the salt and pepper squid... it's awesome!

Hope Key is located in the same area as Hard Times, on the same side of the street as Clarendon Ballroom.

I know this is going to sound like heresy to this gang, but it *is* possible to have a meal without alcohol.

:wink:

One could get excommunicated for a comment like that. We might have to perform an exorcism.

Since you brought it up--has any eGulleteer been to this Cheesecake Factory yet and willing to admit it? (It's right in between Harry's Tap Room and Boulevard Wood Grill for anyone not local.)

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

Since you brought it up--has any eGulleteer been to this Cheesecake Factory yet and willing to admit it? (It's right in between Harry's Tap Room and Boulevard Wood Grill for anyone not local.)

I have never been to a cheesecake factory. I assumed that all they made was cheesecakes. I never understood why there was so much demand for their product. I have never seen any of their cheesecakes in stores.

How much do you wanna bet that in spite of all of the glorious suggestions, the visitors end up at The Cheesecake Factory?

:wacko:

NO we are not going to "the Cheesecake factory" So no bets, its not a option. Any yes I often has meals without alcohol and sometimes meals of only alcohol. And alcohol at breakfast does happen (bloodies and mamosas)

Grin!

How much do you wanna bet that in spite of all of the glorious suggestions, the visitors end up at The Cheesecake Factory?

:wacko:

NO we are not going to "the Cheesecake factory" So no bets, its not a option. Any yes I often has meals without alcohol and sometimes meals of only alcohol. And alcohol at breakfast does happen (bloodies and mamosas)

Grin!

I that case, I will take the bet.

Across from the Wood Grill is a new Tosca, so that part of Arlington is becoming replete with "trendy" eateries. I struck up a conversation with a young fellow at the Bailys in Ballston Common who is a bartender at the Arlington Tosca. He told me that he was about to go over to the Tosca downtown near the MCI Center, and that it was struggling. I pointed out the probable cause of the DC Tosca's difficulty was that it was trying to compete with Jaleo -- good luck there. But I didn't elaborate not wishing to discourage the kid.

Anyway-- haven't been able to get into the Arlington Tosca since I'm not willing to stand at the bar for 2 hours to wait for a table to sample industrial Tapas.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I forgot to mention what could be really good news -- There is a new Best Cellars about to open across from Harry's down Clarendon Blvd. toward the Whole Foods. It says it will have a wine bar as well as being a wine store. Yipee :biggrin:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Another Courthouse option for the unadventurous and frugal - Irelands Four Courts right at the metro stop. The food isn't bad - for an Irish bar. I'd also second Boulevard wood grill or Harry's tap room for the twin fillets.

I forgot to mention what could be really good news -- There is a new Best Cellars about to open across from Harry's down Clarendon Blvd. toward the Whole Foods. It says it will have a wine bar as well as being a wine store. Yipee :biggrin:

I hand't heard that. There's something similar due to open this Summer in the spot where Whitey's bar was. Expect to see an illuminated "EATS" sign on ebay very soon.

I pointed out the probable cause of the DC Tosca's difficulty was that it was trying to compete with Jaleo -- good luck there. But I didn't elaborate not wishing to discourage the kid.

I can't see Jaleo being competition for Tosca on any level.

Tapas vs. Italian

Casual setting vs. more formal

Inexpensive/moderate vs. moderate/expensive

I pointed out the probable cause of the DC Tosca's difficulty was that it was trying to compete with Jaleo -- good luck there. But I didn't elaborate not wishing to discourage the kid.

I can't see Jaleo being competition for Tosca on any level.

Tapas vs. Italian

Casual setting vs. more formal

Inexpensive/moderate vs. moderate/expensive

i think he was referring to the tapas place LA TASCA...but maybe i am wrong...

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.