• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake, Shake, Shake!

beans

More on the trends of evolving cocktails.

"The word 'Martini' and the word 'cocktail' have become synonymous," says Michael Waterhouse, partner and beverage manager at Dylan Prime, a top steakhouse in New York City. "People want their cocktails up in a Martini glass. It's not a wrong term anymore. It's evolved."

Full article, along with many cocktail recipes here.

Clever: Garlic Mashed Potato Martini (a dirty martini garnished with a garlic stuffed olive and made with 100% potato vodka)

You're doing this to hurt me, aren't you???? :laugh:

I have to say, I think this is more an East Coast trend. I remember a few years ago I'd written something about gin martinis and someone Quite Well Known said, "Everybody knows that martinis are made with vodka now!" but here, at least in San Francisco, a martini still meant gin. I think it still means a gin/vodka drink up with a touch of vermouth, but I can see the signs on the wall.

It's sort of like the Bush administration's technique of if you say something enough times it becomes true.

At this point they can call them Macheroni (or Macaroni) for all I care. In my house they are gin, stirred, up, cold and refreshing.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray