• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to take visting Japanese teenagers for lunch

Redhead

Yes, it's that time of year when we host a couple of giggly Japanese teenage girls for a weekend so they can experience Canadian home life.... So, where should we take them for a "Canadian" lunch? I know they'd love the novelty of eating White Spot off a long tray in my car, but it makes me weep handing over good money for such mediocre food.

I'm thinking Granville Island? Isn't there a fish place down on the docks somewhere?

Or maybe Moderne Burger? Good food, funky diner decor.

Must be somewhere cheap, kid-friendly and non-Japanese. FYI, we once took our homestay kids out for dim sum lunch and I could tell they HATED it, although they were too polite to say anything. They ate almost nothing. White Spot the next day was a big hit, however. Sigh.

How about taking them to Steveston Fishing Village and enjoy fish & chips out of newspaper cones at Pajo's by the dock? Steveston is also important historically as the home of many Japanese Canadians before the war.

If the weather is nice, you can take them out for a picnic. My younger Japanese friends love outdoor BBQs since it is so difficult to do back home. Maybe take them to the beach (Jericho/Spanish Banks) for an outing - sandwiches, BBQ burgers, salads, etc. It will be a memorable experience for them.

You could take them to Memphis Blues, because I'm guessing they would have probably never had BBQ like that before. Of course that is just a suggestion and I would not do it, becuase I think their BBQ is sub-par (thats a whole other post) and it is not very "Canadian". I would do a BBQ at the beach, because that would be the most fun and they would enjoy the scenery.

Although, shoving food from a chain restaurant in your mouth while in your car is a very Canadian thing to do :D

I don't think the fish place on the docks at Granville Island is there anymore but I hear that Gord Martin of the Bins 941/2 is opening a fish place by the GI fisherman's wharf in June. Steveston is a great suggestion as an alternative.

I think Moderne works or try the Templeton or even Vera's. Unfortunately White Spot is probably a more authentic Canadian experience, as suggested above.

Cheers,

Anne

I'd go to Boston Pizza rather than White Spot - I think it would be a bit more fun. (The White Spot down in White Rock is crawling with grannies. I think they pre-chew the Triple "O" burgers).

You could also just go to the food fair at the mall. That way they can get what they want.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Thanks for all these suggestions. Given the gas prices, I think we'll save the Steveston idea -- that's a long haul from our place. I think some burgers-to-go, eaten on the beach, sounds right.

I'll stick a little Cdn. flag into the fries.....

Well, after a morning exploring Stanley Park (look, the Hollow Treeeeee.....), Granville Island (fab Lee's donuts, airy and not greasy) and the mudflats at Spanish Banks, we repaired to Moderne Burger for big, juicy burgs dressed with thick slices of tomato, thin slices of red onion, a bit of romaine and a dollop of sauce (some mayo/ketchup/bbq hybrid, I think) and served with mounds of very good fries. The Japanese girls split one burger and ate daintily with knives and forks. A dozen serviettes later, we boorish Canucks polished off a burger each (but only 1/2 our fries) and a Cherry-Lime soda with a Vanilla Milkshake chaser (kids couldn't finish the shake, haha). The place was hopping. We reminisced fondly about a previous eGullet dinner here and were glad we returned.