• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scalini Fedeli in Chatham

Rail Paul

Terhune in the Record enjoyed her meals immensely, other than a quibble with the BYO's wine practices.  Commented favorably on the $4 cheese service.

Scalini

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I've always enjoyed Scalini Fedeli and never had a problem with the wine service. We dined there once and I told them I was bringing champagne. There were champagne glasses on the table when we were seated and glasses were replaced when a new bottle was opened.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

A group of us (6/7) have been going to Scalini once a month for the past 6 months and their wine service could not be more professional. We bring mostly old wines so change of glasses, decanters and whatever else we need are most important. We have talked about trying another rest. but the consensus is why take the chance that another rest. will not be as willing or professional.

Hank

Hank--Do you bring your own decanter when you go to a BYO? Last week we dined at Epernay in Montclair and a couple brought their own decanter. I've seen people bring their own wine glasses to a BYO but this was the first time I saw BYOD.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Scalini has excellent decanters and glassware. I did go to a serious wine dinner (grand crus only) at a BYOB rest. not long ago where one couple brought their own Riedel glasses and thought that that was pushing the envelope a bit too far. I use only Riedel glasses in my home because I feel that they do make a difference but I will not bring them to a restaurant. Life is too short to become that fanatical about a glass.

Hank

Scalini has excellent decanters and glassware. I did go to a serious wine dinner (grand crus only) at a BYOB rest. not long ago where one couple brought their own Riedel glasses and thought that that was pushing the envelope a bit too far. I use only Riedel glasses in my home because I feel that they do make a difference but I will not bring them to a restaurant. Life is too short to become that fanatical about a glass.

Some BYOBs (as well as ABC licensed restaurants) having very poor glassware -- shallow, small bowls.  If I'm bringing a wine that needs plenty of aeration to open up adequately, I will bring my own glasses.  Not too long ago, I thought the idea was ridiculous.  After practically wasting several bottles of fairly expensive juice drinking out of tiny wine galsses that did not allow for the wine to evolve, I've converted.  Of course, I've only done this at one BYOB so far.  I doubt, however, I would bring my own glasses to a wine dinner where you are usually sharing a table with others -- if you can't bring enough for everyone don't bring any at all.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

Not too long ago, I thought the idea was ridiculous

i thought it was ridiculous up to 2 seconds ago.    you're right.  most of the time, especially at "asain" restaurants, you're given what amounts to a shot glass.  

sooo, when you BYOG, what do you tote them in?  i'm sure we all have special insulated wine bags, but how does you stemware travel?

sooo, when you BYOG, what do you tote them in?  i'm sure we all have special insulated wine bags, but how does you stemware travel?

a wine glass tote thingee.  i ordered it from Wine Enthusiast.  It holds up to four stems.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy