• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HUGO'S Chef Rob Evans among Top Ten

johnnyd

HUGO's Rob Evans chef/owner named among top ten best new chefs in July issue of Food and Wine magazine.

Their website features menus which look delicious...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Yeah, not faulting you johnnyd, but this has been out for a while and the Press Herald completely dropped the ball.

My guess is they heard from a bunch of people saying "What about Rob?" after they ran that top of the page story just after Fore Street's Sam Hayward won the James Beard award.

Good for both Sam and Rob. Bad for the locals who'll now need to fight even larger crowds to get a table.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

That explains how nicely the story is laid out on Rob's website. Hmmm, I'm always the last to know! C'est la vie!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Congrats to Rob. My meal there this past winter was the best I've had in my hometown for quite some time.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Liam and I will definitely make a point to check Hugo out on our trip to Maine this August. Of course we'll also have to hit Fore Street, for my annual pilgimage. But there's certainly nothing wrong with two day trips in from Boothbay!

Anything particular on the menu we should look out for? Or any special wines?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes