• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Event - Ray's The Steaks

You know, those eggs are a prime example of Chef Michael using the ingredient he knows best, steak, and weaving it into something totally unexpected, the deviled egg. Damn were they good. He blended the yolk with some mustard to make a very tangyy sauce to put on top. Cornichons on the side. I could tell he was enjoying himself.

You know, those eggs are a prime example of Chef Michael using the ingredient he knows best, steak, and weaving it into something totally unexpected, the deviled egg. Damn were they good. He blended the yolk with some mustard to make a very tangyy sauce to put on top. Cornichons on the side. I could tell he was enjoying himself.

Condé Nast Traveler and the Smithsonian need to know about these eggs. I knew it!

No, the couple at the other end of the restaurant. He stood up and made what I am sure is a lovely toast about his wife in front of the whole restauarant. Now if we only could hear what he said.

But that bread. Ohhh it was good. Just a touch of rosemary. ummmmm

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

No, the couple at the other end of the restaurant. He stood up and made what I am sure is a lovely toast about his wife in front of the whole restaurant. Now if we only could hear what he said.

But that bread. Ohhh it was good. Just a touch of rosemary. ummmmm

Oh, that toast. Yes, another of the amusing anecdotes of the evening. An elderly gentleman (I would say late 70's-early 80's) was having dinner with his spouse. He got everyone in the restaurant's attention and proposed a toast to his wife. While we were at the opposite end of the restaurant had trouble hearing what he said, it was obvious that he and his wife were celebrating an anniversary (either that or he asked her to marry him and she said yes). We all joined in the toast. It was quite touching.

I'm about to cry. I shouldn't have read the report. Can another Ray's outing be planned?

If there's enough interest, I'll talk to the Chef and see what he says. I can't promise he will do more eggs though.

I'd like to explore raising the price point a little and doing a choice between a ribeye and a strip. But that would be up to Michael. The flat-irons and hangers were wonderful last night.

Also don't forget that hillvalley and tomdc discovered they live approx. 40 feet away from each other.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Also don't forget that hillvalley and tomdc discovered they live approx. 40 feet away from each other.

I think there is more to it that than. They have been following one another around for quite some time. We should let them elaborate. Lots of anecdotes.

If another group dinner is scheduled it might be planned it such a way that those in the group who wish to blow a bundle on Micheal's remarkably underpriced wines can do so. To be totally honest, that meal cried out for a killer Burgundy or a Cote du Rhone. (maybe a Cote Rotie). The wine we had was just fine, and terrifically priced but other options would be a plus.

It worked out pretty well at the Indian Dinner. A dinner menu and individual drink bill ?

Four floors apart now, around the corner before. He showed up in my old neighborhood and then I followed him here.

DC really isn't that big of a town :smile:

God...I love being stalked !! Especially by someone as enchanting as Hillvalley.

I only stalk the best :wink:

Just had some of my left over steak with mashed potatoes and spinahc. yummmm. Guess what the only thing missing was?