• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Event - Ray's The Steaks

OK -- I've been skeptical about the feasibility of carrying this one off. But now, my appetite thoroughly whetted by the thought of Devilishly Good Eggs, I'd like to get in on this. Put me down for a double order of the Eggs (I'll bring my own silver, or should it be horn, spoon :blink: ). To accomodate all those who have expressed an interest, Michael may have to close his restaurant to the general public. The establishments of those professional e-Gullets who want in on this should also be closed to allow them to participate without worrying about whose minding their store. In fact, let's just declare a national holiday the next day or do this on a Saturday so we can digest our steaks and sleep off our hangovers. Let the Games Begin!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

looks like we had an egullet event their last night...i was a walk in around 8:15 with my fiance...

i saw the venerable john w. walk in with his posse...

i pointed him out to my fiance...she was quite taken aback; i was jealous the rest of the night.

but i had a nice flat iron.

We like to call it an affair, rather than an event. Look it up...

I usually go as the lifeguard, but I decided that this Sunday I should go out and drink with some of my AA friends. :cool:

Edited by morela (log)

So there were at least 5 of us there last night. I really shouldn't include me in us as I usually lurk and don't post (mostly on the france page). When are you all planning to go there? I am starting South Beach today, it is cutting me off wine for two weeks aargh!!!!!

Morela, is AA alcs anon or AMerican Airlines?

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

No, I did not eat at 5, I showed up at their door since I kept getting the machine on the phone, then I left and came back. I ate at six as this was my breakfast lunch, dinner yesterday, yes I know reallly healthy.....

-An American in Paris

No, I did not eat at 5, I showed up at their door since I kept getting the machine on the phone, then I left and came back. I ate at six as this was my breakfast lunch, dinner yesterday, yes I know reallly healthy.....

That's a post 9-11 American Airlines mug shot.

Well, at least AA seems to be getting you to France okay! Whatever, one meal at Ray's is good living...and the takeout travels well, even at high altitudes.

So there were at least 5 of us there last night. I really shouldn't include me in us as I usually lurk and don't post (mostly on the france page). When are you all planning to go there? I am starting South Beach today, it is cutting me off wine for two weeks aargh!!!!!

Hey -- Good luck with the South Beach. Just did my purgatory two weeks w/o wine last month. Actually went for almost three. After you get thru phase one, its not so bad and the weight does come off pretty quick.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Hey -- Good luck with the South Beach. Just did my purgatory two weeks w/o wine last month. Actually went for almost three. After you get thru phase one, its not so bad and the weight does come off pretty quick.

Friends,

Everyone falls hard off of the South Beach diet.

Look at King Abdullah...

:smile: Run to Ray's.

I have to try something, plus exercising my ass off (literally). My uniforms do not fit and I refuse to order a larger size! (Long story short, I was on physicians orders not to exercise for 3 months, got depressed and solved that depression by eating more..... :raz: )

But Rays is a good place for a high protein diet....and did I mention he's kinda cute..lol

Edited by raisab (log)

-An American in Paris

So I was spotted with my friends by several other eGulleters at Ray's. How come no one came over to say hello? Just curious.

They were intimidated by a grizzled restaurant veteran. :wink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

So I was spotted with my friends by several other eGulleters at Ray's. How come no one came over to say hello? Just curious.

Maybe they didn't recognize you because you bear only a passing resemblance to your new avatar.

:raz:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Maybe they saw that sign on your head that said, 'Go Away, It's Sunday'?

I have to try something, plus exercising my ass off (literally). My uniforms do not fit and I refuse to order a larger size! (Long story short, I was on physicians orders not to exercise for 3 months, got depressed and solved that depression by eating more..... :raz: )

Are we ALL seeing docs about our bodies these days? Me, I'm gonna flout the instructions of my whiny gastroenterologist and dine on a rich steak and plenty of red wine tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

So I'm hoping the idea is that this is the thread where I should express my interest in attending? :rolleyes:

I will try to get the hubby to go as well, but I need to check the calendar for certain...

Jumping ahead, and assuming this is a go, what's the parking like on a Sunday evening? (Is there any, and if so, where?) I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area, so specifics would be helpful. Is the restaurant metro accessible?

So I'm hoping the idea is that this is the thread where I should express my interest in attending? :rolleyes:

I will try to get the hubby to go as well, but I need to check the calendar for certain...

Jumping ahead, and assuming this is a go, what's the parking like on a Sunday evening? (Is there any, and if so, where?) I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area, so specifics would be helpful. Is the restaurant metro accessible?

There is a parking lot in front of the place. However, there is about a half-dozen restaurants in the same little strip mall (many of them quite good by the way), so depending on the level of partonage, you might have to way a minute or two for a spot to open up. Or, look on the street for a space. On Sunday, I don't expect a problem.

All right. I talked to Michael and we are on for Sunday, August 1, at 6:00. He has a table for 12 reserved for us. PM if you are coming so that I can keep a list. We discussed the menu and decided that the $21 prix fixe is the way to go (both for him and for us). The hanger steak is 10 oz. so no one will go home hungry.

Even though the table currently is full, I expect attrition. If you are still interested in the Ray's the Steaks eGullet dinner, PM me and I will put you on the "waiting list." I really want to make sure that the table is full, but keep in mind that we don't want to overload the staff with a table of more than 12. We want to strike a happy medium.

Those who need to cancel for whatever reason, please PM me as soon as you know so that I can clear people from the waiting list (where there currently are people on).

I am certain that a good time will be had by all.

Here is the list of attendees for next Sunday's eGullet event at Ray's the Steaks:

mnebergall

mdt

JennyUptown +1

Laniloa

hannah +1

Hillvalley

JPW

tomdc

squids +1

I have one or two on the waiting list.

Once again, at the last minute a person or two always cancels out so if you are intersted, be sure to send me a PM.