• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Event - Ray's The Steaks

There appears to be interest in organizing an eGullet event at Ray's the Steaks. I am willing to serve as the conduit for the event. Here are the parameters I suggest:

1. Table for 6

2. The date on which we can get a table for 6 and the first six eGulls who are available are in.

3. I anticipate much consumption of wine.

4. We will split the tab 6 ways evenly.

5. It should be during the week as getting a table for 6 on a weekend might be diffuclt (plus there might be more pressure to turn the table).

6. I would like to do it at 7:00 (on whatever weekday shows the most interest.

Edited to add: If there is more interest than 6, I am willing to go out on a limb and ask for a table for 8.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

There appears to be interest in organizing an eGullet event at Ray's the Steaks.  I am willing to serve as the conduit for the event.  Here are the parameters I suggest:

1.  Table for 6

2.  The date on which we can get a table for 6 and the first six eGulls who are available are in.

3.  I anticipate much consumption of wine.

4.  We will split the tab 6 ways evenly.

5.  It should be during the week as getting a table for 6 on a weekend might be diffuclt (plus there might be more pressure to turn the table).

6.  I would like to do it at 7:00 (on whatever weekday shows the most interest.

Edited to add:  If there is more interest than 6, I am willing to go out on a limb and ask for a table for 8.

Re: #4: I see that you've been to these events before. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mark

• 1 month later...

I'd like to shoot for the week of July 5, assuming we can pick an evening that works for enough people. Please state your preference. Also, my experience is that an early evening time frame is better for the restaurant. I am thinking 6:00.

Sound good to me...how about July 5 ???

Isn't July 5 the day that most will have off of work because July 4 is on Sunday? I was thinking more along the lines of the middle of the week, Tue., Wed. or Thurs. I already have one vote for Thursday. Also, once we have enough people good to go for a certain day, I need to check with the restaurant. Come to think of it, I think Ray's is closed on Mondays during the summer.

OK:

First, lets find out which week has the most people available. Please let me know which of the following weeks are good for you, and which day during that week you are available. Keep in mind that Ray's the Steaks is closed on Mondays.

Week of July 5

Week of July 12

Week of July 19

Regards

Mark

edited toi add: The further out we go, the more likely it is that would could get in a little later than 6:00.

Don't forget the picnic on July 18th as you schedule this outing -- I think some people, possibly including me, may want to do both.

My belt still has a couple of notch's left. Plus, the picnic is on Sunday, Ray's is closed on Monday. There will be an appropriate interval for folks to fast.

I might be in too. I'm anxious to try this place out, especially with folks who I know understand what a great steak is!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

If you go on a night when I am not in class I am in.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The only thing I can't work around is a commitment on the 6th. I'm flexible all the weeks you mention BUT you've made me start drooling at the expectation this was going to happen SOON! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!!

Sorry it took so long to weigh in on this one. I truly have no idea how to function in this media, since the computer does not respond to me buying it drinks--my only real skill. Otherwise, I would be busy all the time talking about how wonderful the fried oysters at Firefly are and sympathising with Mark about the fact that entire production runs at Schott are devoted to Citronelle. By the way, Jenny, I did not lie to you, I really am new to this--so please be gentle.

So, an eGullet dinner at Ray's?

First you must decide whether to ignore the dire warnings of the Arlington County Health Department; I caution you, you do so at your own peril.

That being said, I would be honored to host a dinner.

I could accommodate up to 12 for a prixe fixe dinner of :

Amusee Ray's Style

French Onion (Ask Jared) or Crab Bisque

Hanger Steak or Flat Iron with Sides

Dessert would not be included, which is just as well since Mr. Klc has determined that they are really not worthwhile, anyway.

All this for the princely sum of $21/per.

As noted, wines are more than reasonably priced. Great stuff under $30.

Availability on my end is better than you all are discussing, just give me a call. Back to the cave now.

Michael

PS: The one condition that I do have is that a registered lifeguard be on hand. I am not taking any chances.

EGullet event there for $21 a person? Geeze, Michael, are you nuts or sumpin? I suggest we pick a Sunday night and take over the whole place. Could we please spend a tiny little more than $21? I'm talkin' rib-eyes! Rocks, you organize it.

Mark

EGullet event there for $21 a person?  Geeze, Michael, are you nuts or sumpin? I suggest we pick a Sunday night and take over the whole place. Could we please spend a tiny little more than $21? I'm talkin' rib-eyes! Rocks, you organize it.

Put a 1 in front of the $21 and the crew will post. Ordering wine like we mean it.

To refute the dirty-ass Ray's kitchen rumor...Me and a card-carrying Ray's VIP took a quick jaunt through Mssr. Landrum's office on Sunday, quite spotless. I didn't even accept any free drinks to offer my opinion, which according to Mssr. Landrum is the only thing at which he is skilled. I beg to differ, wearing non-matching plaid items is a skill which our hero is quite adept at.

Why does there need to be an e-gullet event? Dunno. Take your loved ones, your 18 pound cats, your herbivore nieces, your Greatful Dead collections (making sure you deposit said in the trash upon entering). Go. Go today. Tough to get in? Pretend it's practice trying to get into Per Se.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love