• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trattoria Fresco

Rosie

...I never understand why business owners want people to leave with a bad story instead of a good story.  For a few bucks, they could be heroes, but it almost never happens.

SK, I couldn't have said it better myself! And of course, you're right about Fascino as well... :smile: I also agree with Anthony; I like TF, but if I have a reservation and am left waiting more than 20-25 mins anywhere, I certainly expect more than some lame apologies for my time. Tell me there's been some major screw-up, apologize like you mean it, and I'll come back another night. But don't leave customers hanging like that!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 3 weeks later...
We arrived at 8:20 and were finally seated at 9:25!

There's no excuse for that, did you dine on a Saturday? TF has become popular and doesn't always easily handle the ~200 person crowd they willingly try to accommodate on a Saturday. I've eaten a couple times on a Saturday and had good experiences, but I have had near perfect experiences on Fridays/Sundays.

The general manager handles these hiccups seriously - and is very eGullet friendly. You might want to ask for him next time.

A note to TF - the seating area with the brick oven might be a nice place to satiate hungry guests with complementary snacks (pizza, etc.) on a Sat. night... But maybe that's just me and my stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

we ate there on 5/13. we called at 6pm and asked if they had a table for 2. Evan was very accomodating and said come on in and we'll seat you.

the appetizers were a grilled caesar salad and a special salad. Both very good.

we had a salmon and snapper entree. we've had somewhat better fish, but the side dishes with the meal were great.

treated nicely&good food&good service&funky plates and bowls=a good experience.

Decided to give Trattoria Fresco another shot tonight. I never seem to have any luck. The food was great, the service unacceptable.

We arrived at 7:30 and there were a few people waiting. The host asked a few of us how many were in our parties, then said it didn't matter because there was plenty of seating for everyone. He did not ask who arrived in what order. He took the party closest the podium, and said he'd be right back to seat the rest of us. Nearly 5 minutes later, he had not returned.

A young lady came and sat us at a table with menus. We waited about 20 minutes to order--as a matter of fact, we waited so long to order that one of our party actually called another restaurant to see if they were still serving dinner.! :wacko: Then we had to plead with the young lady who sat us to take our order. It turned out she had to become a waitress due to the seemingly unexpected crowd. About 5 minutes after that they brought us some bread. We had to snag some olive oil from another table, ours was empty, and I really wanted to munch on some bread.

The rest of the meal went slowly but smoothly. We got out of the restaurant at about 9:45.

As I said, the food was delicious. The price fix at $24 was a steal. I had the calamari ap, with a tasty basil sauce, and a skirt steak, cooked to a delicious medium rare. Even the gelato was tasty.

If the service at this place could only catch up with the food...

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Early in the week, it's not unusual for Trattoria Fresco to be close to empty. I've noticed the lights off in the big room by 830, with just a few filled tables in the first room. My guess is they staff on the light side those nights, which leaves them vulnerable to walk in spurts of traffic.

By 915, it's not unusual to be one of just 2-3 tables, based on my regular experience. By 915 on a Tuesday or Wednesday, I've found the service to be exceptional, easily the match of the food

I'm not defending their service, though. If they can't reasonably accomodate customers, they shouldn't accept them.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 4 weeks later...

Had a lovely dinner at Trattoria Fresco. Munched on a pizza made with oven roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil while we tried to decide what to order. We shared the following appetizers: fritto misto made with calamari, shrimp, scallops, and clams, a Caesar salad, a wild arugula and baby red leaf, wood roasted figs salad accompanied with a goat cheese crisp; and lasagna.

Entrees were lemon crumb crusted soft shell crabs served with baby spinach whipped Yukon gold potatoes; wood roasted chicken; short ribs with roasted beet insalata; skirt steak served with tomato insalata, sweet and sour cippolini’s and Tuscan fries; and halibut with rock shrimp farrato and asparagus insalata.

Co-chefs Rich Giacalone and Paul Lustbader sent out an ice cream sugar cone for everyone but we also had berry parfaits and a chocolate tasting for dessert comprised of a hot fudge glazed cake, crispy Godiva truffles, and a chocolate gelato. Phone: 973-226-8800. BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 months later...

I just had an earth shattering meal at Trattoria Fresco!! I am giddy like a little schoolgirl with delight. I am SO damn happy right now. We started with the Friti Misto that had the most amazing fried lemon rind amongst the seafood offerings. I spoke to our waiter about asking Chef Lusbader to comer out to our table because I wanted to introduce him to Les Marmitons. Realizing that the chef was busy, I sent my card via the waiter to the chef. He responded by sending a Budino, which was a ball of fresh mozzarella and tomato incorporated into a bread pudding, served warm from the wood burning oven, with wild arugula and baby leaf green ensalata.

We then had a short ribs with Herb Crusted Fingerlings and Roasted Beet ensalata

gallery_16368_889_933882.jpg

gallery_16368_889_112027.jpg

and a pasta special that was homemade Fettucini with braised veal, wild mushrooms, arugula and finished with Mascarpone, estate olive oil and toasted garlic.

gallery_16368_889_729652.jpg

For dessert we had the Zeppoles with butterscotch dipping sauce,

gallery_16368_889_685933.jpg

and the chocolate tasting plate.

gallery_16368_889_648434.jpg

All in all it was a phenominal meal and my new place to recomend to friends and family.

Eric

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 3 weeks later...

We are always so pleased with our dinners at Trattoria Fresco. There’s a new fall menu with two must try dishes: fresh mozzarella and tomato bread pudding served with wild arugula salad and the pistachio biscotti sandwich with winter berry marmellata. Chef/owners Paul Lustbader and Rich Giacalone are to be commended for their innovative dishes. We also had the fabulous Tuscan barbequed duck with sour cherry farrato and cucumber insalata and the crispy “Sicilian” style chicken with blood orange, aromatics, and escarole, served with sweet potato & parsnip fries. For reservations call 973-226-8800; BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We are always so pleased with our dinners at Trattoria Fresco. There’s a new fall menu with two must try dishes: fresh mozzarella and tomato bread pudding served with wild arugula salad and the pistachio biscotti sandwich with winter berry marmellata. Chef/owners Paul Lustbader and Rich Giacalone are to be commended for their innovative dishes. We also had the fabulous Tuscan barbequed duck with sour cherry farrato and cucumber insalata and the crispy “Sicilian” style chicken with blood orange, aromatics, and escarole, served with sweet potato & parsnip fries.

Wow. I had sort of gotten ... I don't know if bored was the right word. But less enthusiastic about going to Fresco. Not exactly sure why; I think because we went there too often in too short of a time and I had gotten tired of the selection.

We've experienced some of the service problems too - like one time when three of us went in for dinner, and there were perhaps three tables, maybe four taken, the rest empty, save for the side room having a HUGE party, and they sat us at a table next to the huge party, which was awfully loud (the side room is terribly loud anyway) - and when we asked if we could sit in the other room, the hostess seemed confused by the request. Someone else came and helped out, and we did move.

But I read your review of your recent visit to Fresco and I have to admit I HAD to try the bread pudding appetizer. I'm a sucker for bread pudding and that just sounded fantastic! So a group of five of us headed in on Friday night.

The hostess that night seemed confused when I gave my name, and couldn't locate it, but another girl came up and solved that problem. We were seated in the loud room, which, unfortunately, had a large party, but the place was packed and there was nothing to do about it. The table directly behind us (not the party in the middle) was the loudest, as they were completely drunk and doing that wonderful thing that drunks do -- talking louder than the next person (while the next person is still talking) to be heard. Fabulous!

That aside, we ordered dinner. And our waiter was excellent. A friend and I both ordered the bread pudding appetizer - it was TO DIE FOR. I'm serious - there is nothing better. I really thought it might be one of the top 5 things I've eaten. Another friend ordered the appetizer with the roasted peppers filled with crabmeat, which he said was outstanding. My girlfriend ordered an appetizer (Crespelle?) that included goat cheese and mushrooms but she was very unhappy that there was not enough goat cheese.

For entree - I have had their Lasagna before, and it's great. But Friday they had a special lasagna with sausage and chicken, and it was everything I expected. A really well done dish. Went well with my Tensley Syrah. Other dishes ordered included the seafood special (lobster tail, etc), two pizzas, and the Crabella and Lobster dish. All were well received!

Desserts were enjoyed, as always, since they have a knack for them -- I had the zeppole (can't resist), others shared the chocolate fondue, and one ordered the biscotti sandwich - he loved it, as you predicted.

All in all, a successful evening that has rekindled my interest in the place - which is good because it's right down the street :-)

I'm new here - this site is very much up my alley. Thanks for having me!

Rick

Welcome to Egullet Rick!!

Where else do you like to eat?

Thank you!

I feel like I must go in phases. A few years ago I was going into the city alot, but lately, not so much. I lived in Manhattan (upper west side) in 2003, so I ate alot around there (River was a common haunt.. and of course, the ultimate guilty pleasure, Big Nick's. But I went to Zabar's a lot because I lived directly across the street.). I also like some of the Korean places in Murray Hill.

I really enjoy Black Forest Inn in Stanhope. I don't get there enough. I think the Gaslight in South Orange has excellent food - underrated, maybe because the owners aren't always friendly. (The last time I was there, I brought a huge group from my office for a lunch outing, and the owner was great - so who knows). I lived in Montclair until June, so I have some favorites there. I love Tuptim best.

There's a new Mexican place. well, not new maybe, but new to me, called Los Tapatios, in West Orange on Main Street. It's fantastic - better than Mexicali Rose or Don Jose.

Park and Orchard, of course. That place is delightful.

Asian Delite in West Caldwell has some of the best chinese (and great sushi).

I see a few people talking about An American Grill. We're trying to setup a night to go there in a group, because I haven't been in far too long, and my friend is absolutely in love with it. So we'll go just as soon as some of the group can afford it.

Rick

Welcome to Egullet Rick!!

Where else do you like to eat?

There's a new Mexican place. well, not new maybe, but new to me, called Los Tapatios, in West Orange on Main Street. It's fantastic - better than Mexicali Rose or Don Jose.

Los Tapatios is perhaps my favorite restaurant in West Orange. In fact I ate there last night. We just did tacos last night-The seasoned steak, Chorizo(homemade) and the tongue tacos are killer. I don't compare LosTap to ANY TEXMEX place because they are 2 different animals. This is authentic mexican. They also make this dish called Chicken/steak/shrimp Acapulco. It's made with onions, bacon, and Meunster cheese. I usually get the shrimp. ALso, don't miss the Tres Leches cake for dessert.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry folks if this is repetative, but HOLY ZEP-oly batman, did we have another Heroic meal at Trattoria Fresco!! A few of my friends, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent, went last night with me to kinda, sorta celebrate my success with the Verona Zoning board. Here's the view as we saw it:

APPETIZERS:

Fritto Misto

crispy calamari, shrimp, scallops, clams and lemon rings

dusted with fennel pollen, And Charred tomato condimento

gallery_16368_2051_491970.jpg

Budino

fresh mozzarella and tomato bread pudding served with wild arugula insalata

gallery_16368_2051_51601.jpg

Wood Roasted peppers

baby red bells filled with lump crab and asparagus

gallery_16368_2051_781819.jpg

SHORT RIB AND CHESTNUT RISOTTO

gallery_16368_2051_738652.jpg

The MAIN COURSES:

LEMON SOLE WITH VANILLA GLAZED CARROTS AND MASHED POTATO WITH LOBSTER GRAVY

gallery_16368_2051_305424.jpg

Tuscan barbequed duck

sour cherry farrato, cucumber insalata

gallery_16368_2051_646461.jpg

Crabello and Lobster

lump crab cake wrapped with portabello and lobster dumpling, served with vegetable risotto

gallery_16368_2051_57259.jpg

PASTA TASTING-WONDERFULLY LEMONY

gallery_16368_2051_970548.jpg

Short Ribs

herb crumb crust, port sauce, served with mini stuffed potato tasting and glazed baby carrots

gallery_16368_2051_116320.jpg

Lobster and Shrimp

Shelled Maine Lobster and Gulf Shrimp

Sweet Brown Garlic, Lobster Brodo, Lemon Zest amd Herbs over Spaghettini Pasta

gallery_16368_2051_154691.jpg

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the desserts, of which there were an abundance of, because as I was deeply engaged in conversation with Chef Lustbader, the Vultures of Gavone swooped down upon them and all I heard was the clanging of plates and a whole lot of lip smakin'; It wasn't pretty. I did have the opportunity to meet a few of the chef's family members each one more delightlful than the next. SO all in all, a wonderful celebration of food and wine and conversation and food stories, and sarcasm and comraderie, and photography, and...and...and. Oh well, I plum ran out of "ands" but you get the picture.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Innocent vulture here...hey we did leave some dessert for you....All of the above of course served with a fine assortment of beverages I believe at least a bottle per person with a champagne toast in honor of Ejebud's (eric) new culinary venture Amazing Hotdogs. We hoisted ourselves up after dinner for a quick ride down the block to check out the new space in Verona and he seems to have chosen well, great location and nice clean store.

Untill we meet again...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Vultures, huh?!? Let's see how you like us when we're scarfing down hot dogs at that pace! :laugh:

Food last night was yummy--that's for sure! And thankfully, we're a sharing group of people. The top few highlights for me were the potatoes that came with my short ribs (one fingerling, one SWEET fingerling)--I loved the flavors as well as the presentation; the shrimp/lemon ricotta canelloni and the veg risotto. The lemon peel in the fritto misto is spectacular; we asked for a small plate of extra slices, and happily munched on those throughout the meal. The Chef has an affinity for lemon, so how bad a guy can he be? :wink:

Desserts are just ridiculous. RIDICULOUS, I say! This from a woman who doesn't always care all that much about desserts. The apple marzipan crisp with the almond crust was simply GORGEOUS. And my switch of the accompanying gelato from caramel to pumpkin crunch was fantastic, if I do say so myself. :biggrin: The combo just screamed AUTUMN. Zeppoles and the butterscotch sauce are off the hook, and Rosie, I did mention your name as we ate them. Good stuff indeed!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Wow, was eveyrthing as good as it looks?

I'm particularly interested in any comments on the risotto, lemon sole & the last-pictured pasta dish.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Wow, was eveyrthing  as good as  it looks?

I'm particularly interested in any comments on the risotto, lemon sole & the last-pictured pasta dish.

ghostrider, Everything IS as good as it looks. The thing that makes the food here so good is every element of every dish is so well thought out that when they marry, it's heaven on earth.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Wow, was eveyrthing  as good as  it looks?

I checked with hubby about the lemon sole and he made a "Homer" noise...the fish was perfect vanilla carrots are insane and what is to complain about mashed potatoes smothered in chunky lobster gravy.

I think we will be going back.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Last, but not least, I'm putting in my two cents about Friday's meal.....Awesome.

Certainly a wonderful first experience dining with other eGulleters. The service was friendly and attentive, the meal was well paced and everything (I guess the best part of eating with other foodies is all the sharing!) ordered was superb! The vegetable risotto that cushioned my crabello and lobster was in a class by itself. The fried lemon with the excellent frito misto was just one of the details that raised this meal to another level. And the zeppole with butterscotch dipping sauce......yum. I will definitely be going back. And hopefully dining again with my new eGullet friends.

Dana

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to update - I've been to Fresco about twice since the last few posts on here, and it's been incredible each time. The bread pudding appetizer is phenominal. They've had this Lasagna special that includes hot peppers, sausage, and chicken which was absolutely fabulous. The entire meals have been great - we went for my girlfriend's mom's birthday.

If you haven't been yet -- please, do yourself a favor, and go!

• 3 months later...

It's been too long since my last visit to TF, and Saturday night's dinner was a reminder of how terrific this kitchen is, in both food and presentation.

Preface--my folks were in town, and my dad insisted on a BYO. Too late for reservations at any number of other places, I was pleased that we were able to snag one at TF for 7pm just a few days ago. Of course, I would have been even happier if the weather cooperated enough for us to sit on that lovely patio, but I guess I'll have to wait another 6 weeks!

I ordered a cone of the Tuscan Fries for us to nibble on while looking at the menu; that 'fra diavolo' aioli that comes with them isn't so fra diavolo in my book, but I love it--just enough heat! For apps, my dad had the antipasto, which was beautifully presented on a trianglular slab of marble, my bro had the mussels, which he RAVED about, and the rest of had the grilled romaine, which was very good, although I'll ask to have it grilled a little longer next time.

Entrees were the skirt steak, the sugar cane skewer with shrimp, scallop and lobster (on the app menu), the salad special (with calamari, scallops and shrimp, iirc), the veal tasting (milanese + barolo-braised), and I had the tuna (a huge piece), served over white beans with cippolini onions, olives, roasted tomatoes and fingerling potatoes. Dish after dish elicited a "look at that presentation!" from my folks, who can be tough customers, and everyone was more than pleased with the meal. My dad completely cleared his plate, and was gushing over the aromatic whipped potatoes, proclaiming that "it takes a special extra touch" to produce a 'side' like that.

We were far too full for much in the way of dessert, and despite my efforts to convince them that we needed either the fondue or an order of zeppole, we settled on coffees, a dish of truly amazing lemon ice, and the apple marzipan crisp. The latter was very good, but just a tad too sweet for me. The house-made biscotti that came with the check were terrific; I sh/could have just had a few of those.

My only consistent complaint about TF is the unbelieveable volume in the room (another good reason to sit outside if you can). There were five of us at a rectangular table, and I literally couldn't hear my stepmother, who was two people away, against the wall. Since we're not a quiet group, this isn't something I notice very often, but it's undeniable here.

Before we left, I showed my dad and brother the patio, which they loved. Will certainly be back soon, and most especially, once the weather warms up!

• 4 months later...

...Too cold for the patio in March and a tad too warm in July. We met another couple for dinner here last night, actually while they waited for us at the other Italian rest near the Wachovia bank we waited for them at Trattoria Fresco. It worked itself out by 7:10 or so.

We knew this wouldn't be the plate-passing fest our Egullet meal was, but the other couple only planned on getting themselves 1 app to share so we did the same :sad: The Frito Misto, we had to ask for fried lemon slices though, my entree was the roasted Halibut with cabbage, frizzled onions, yellow and red tomatoes, fennel pollen and sprouts. That is just a perky happy dish, every item goes with every other one. Hubby got the Lobster and Shrimp over spaghettini, what can you say it doesnt get much better than that. The others at our table partook of the Short Ribs and the pasta tasting, she did ask about the lobster mashed potatoes from last years fall menu but no go. We finished with the 4 gelato cones and capps and tea.

I have to say very few restaurants bother with a tea selection...how freekin hard is it to have 4 or five kinds of tea in a basket or a box???

Trattoria Fresco has a lovely tea box :cool:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage