• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trattoria Fresco

Rosie

We recently dined at Trattoria Fresco, 435 Bloomfield Avenue, Caldwell as we heard that the restaurant was now owned by co-chefs Rich Giacalone and Paul Lustbader. We had a most enjoyable dinner and look forward to returning to this restaurant soon.

We started off with an unusual goat cheese-ricotta dumplings which were lightly fried and served with a black olive and tomato ragu. They were delicious and unfortunately I had to share these with my dining companions. The wood roasted asparagus and shrimp were finished with shaved ricotta salata, extra virgin olive oil and vinegar; a light refreshing start to the meal. Wood fire roasted peppers filled with crabmeat and served with a spinach salad were also worthwhile but the winning, don’t miss appetizer was the grilled hearts of romaine served with a Caesar dressing and shaved grana.

Entrees were innovatively presented as well as being tasteful treats. The rich, off the bone, Chianti braised short ribs ($19) were presented in an oblong plate with three compartments. One had the meat, one had a tower of julienne vegetable insalata and the third had crispy cippolini onions; fabulous. The boneless tender veal steak ($23) was tomato crusted and served with outrageously delicious lobster filled fresh artichokes and chive whipped potatoes. The bolognese lasagna ($16) was one of the best renditions of this dish I have had in a long time. Consider ordering it as a side for sharing. Housemade pappardelle ($18) paired with shrimp, cannelloni beans, oven dried tomato and broccoli rabe pesto was also a great dish filled with contrasting flavors.

The one dessert that you must have is the zeppole served hot with a warm butterscotch dipping sauce. The apple marzipan crisp was fine. We didn’t care for the amaretto crumb crust cheesecake.

BYO. For reservations call 973-226-8800.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

i went the other night and enjoyed it also. we had the salad with the grapefruit that was good, and also the shrimp & asparagus you had. i was going to get the ribs, next time. i had the hanger steak and that was great. someone had the lasagna and i agree with you it was delicious. you have to get the fondue, out of this world. i will definitely go back. i understand they have a courtyard with outdoor seating. we sat inside because it was warm out but next time i'd like to sit outside.

• 2 weeks later...

We returned to Trattoria Fresco and had a delightful meal. The restaurant just received a very well deserved 3 1/2 stars from the Star Ledger and Chef/owners Paul Lustbader and Rich Giacalone are to be congratulated.

We started off with the delicious bread, bread sticks and roasted garlic that is presented on a toothpick. Four of us shared a Margherita pizza made with plum tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil on a thin crunchy crust. Those with heartier appetites should consider sharing another appetizer. Also, Trattoria Fresca has a low carb pizza for those who are counting carbs.

Entrees were a special of grouper with julienned vegetables and lobster. There was lots of lobster on this dish which was a pleasant surprise. Lobster was also a dominant ingredient in the shelled lobster, lobster oil, garlic and lemon zest over spaghettini. Lowell’s chicken was beautifully served in a three partitioned dish; one compartment held the wood roasted semi boneless chicken; one addictive fries; and one a sweet corn, fava bean and baby string bean combination; outstanding. The salmon presentation was also stunning with the salmon wrapped around lump crabmeat and asparagus and then enclosed in phyllo dough. It was cut on a bias and served standing up so all of the colors and textures could be seen.

For dessert we tried the apple marzipan crisp with dolce de leche gelato and the chocolate fondue with strawberries, pineapple, bananas, and zeppole.The chocolate sauce was so good that I was eating it with a spoon. However no matter what you have for dessert don’t leave Trattoria Fresco without trying their warm zeppole served with a butterscotch dipping sauce. Phone: 973-226-8800. BYO.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

that's funny that you said you ate the chocolate with the spoon. i looked around at one point to make sure no one was looking and i spooned some chocolate out. way too good to leave. i definitely want to try the zeppole next time

• 2 weeks later...

We had the most delicious dinner here last night. It was a last minute decision and when we called at 7 for a 9pm reservation they couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. We were able to get a table outside and it was lovely. The only drawbacks were a noisy table next to us and a smoker in the corner.

I started with the asparagus and shrimp which was delicious. Others at our table had a beet salad, roasted red pepper salad and a special salad with figs. Everyone loved what they had. My main dish was the short ribs which were very rich and mouth wateringly delicious. My husband had the skirt steak which was my other choice.

We loved it here - the prices were right and the people friendly. We will definitely go back!

i ate outside on friday for my birthday. had the chicken, it was great. served in the 3 part dish, nice touch. the french fries were baked and really crispy, not oily. boyfriend had the shortribs, i tasted them they were really good. had the pizza with eggplant, fresh mozz & roasted red peppers as an appetizer that was good also. had no room for the zeppolies unfortunately. next time no pizza and maybe i will have room.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from another visit toTrattoria Fresco. It was a beautiful night and we were outside. The lights were kind of strange tonight. They kept dimming and then getting bright. It was as if someone was twisting the button. When we asked all the staff looked perplexed and no one fixed anything because it happened all night. We had never been there mid week and didn't know they offered a $23 price fixe menu. There were no substitutions allowed - my friend asked for grilled salmon instead of the salmon with crab meat as she is kosher and was told no - so she ordered off the regular menu.

We brought 8 friends with us and I was kind of embarrassed at having raved about this place as the service tonight was LOUSY!!!! It wasn't until we had already finished our salads - 45 minutes after we ordered - and asked twice did they bother to bring us bread.

Other than my friend who ate the delicious Halibut we all ate skirt steaks. The portions on the price fixe were smaller than the regular menu it was still more than enough food. Desserts were a choice of gelato or sorbet. I chose coconut sorbet but it wasn't very good.

We will definitely go back because the food it so good but they must do something about their service. It wasn't very busy and there appeared to be ample staff but it just didn't work for us.

• 1 month later...
The rich, off the bone, Chianti braised short ribs ($19) were presented in an oblong plate with three compartments. One had the meat, one had a tower of julienne vegetable insalata and the third had crispy cippolini onions; fabulous.

rosie, you're so right: i had these last night and they were wonderful. we also really enjoyed the margherita pizza (so light!) and mr p had a pork tenderloin special (served with a barbeque white bean ragout and shoestring sweet potatoes) that was also delicious. the service was great: warm, friendly and attentive. the only off note was the butter crunch white chocolate bread pudding: it had an odd bitterness that overpowered the more subtle flavors. the cappuccino gelato that it was served with, however, was perfect.

there were so many things on the menu that i'm eager to return and try. but tonight i'm going to rocca... :laugh:

I finally made it to Trattoria Fresco! Met my sister last night and my goodness, what a meal!

I began with the Wood Fire Roasted Peppers ($9.00) - two red wraps of roasted pepper stuffed, and I mean stuffed with a buttery creamy crabmeat filling, along side a spinach salad with a light vinaigrette.

My sister began with the "Spring Mix" ($7.00) a mix of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mountain high with a light moscato vinaigrette.

Arriving shortly before the first course was a basket of fresh bread with a skewar of rosted garlic through the slices and the most crisp, light, oilless homemde garlic bread sticks!

For dinner, I ordered the Salmon (20.00) , and was told by our server it was her favorite item on the menu--not a surprise...the lucious pink fish was topped with crabmeat and pencil thin cut strips of asparagus, three large packges were wrapped in Phyllo- crisp, warm, devine.

My sister had te Halibut (21.00) , a pan roasted steak in a lemon semolina crust...and I am forgetting what it was served with... too much crabmeat ont he brain!

We had every intention of ordering the Zeppole, but as dinner weighed on, we moved onto the concept of a gelato or sorbetto, but the reality was, there just relly was no room for dessert...and we women can do dessert!

The check arrived with 4 biscotti, which we of course devoured .....

Folks, you led me well! Thank you!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 3 weeks later...

We had to celebrate the recent move to NJ of my brother and his family as well as introduce them to the NJ dining scene. Coming from Ohio he is used to chain restaurants. Well—Trattoria Fresco, Caldwell was just the first of many places we will take him and what a wonderful beginning they had to NJ dining.

We ordered a mozzarella, prosciutto, tomato and arugula pizza as soon as we were seated so we could nibble on it while looking at the menu. It came with a forest full of arugula leaves and a thin crisp crust—delicious. The kitchen sent out a tasting of heirloom tomatoes beautifully plated with a tiny spoon of sea salt. Then we shared the wood fire roasted peppers filled with jumbo lump crabmeat and an innovative olive bread pudding topped with caponata.

I had a special of Florida red snapper topped with a mélange of vegetables. Other entrees were the Chianti braised short ribs with crispy onion rings; tomato crusted boneless veal steak with lobster filled artichokes and chive whipped potatoes. I loved the tender veal but could make a dinner out of the artichokes. We also had the lasagna Bolognese which is one of the best renditions of this dish that I have had in a long time.

There was no way we could bypass the zeppole with warm butterscotch dipping sauce or the chocolate fondue with fresh fruit for dessert. Oh yes, two people at our table were watching their calories and ordered sorbet and the berries with zabaglione.

Co-chefs Rich Giacalone and Paul Lustbader are to be commended for an outstanding meal. GM Evan Darnell runs a tight ship--service was excellent. Don’t forget that Trattoria Fresco has a three course fixed price dinner for $22.95 Monday through Thursday; BYO.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...

My friend just emailed me to suggest this restaurant, and I must say:

We were there on Mon night. This restaurant is completely overrated. The prices were high, the portions small. The service below average and unattentive. The waiter recommended a dish to me that, while well done for what it was (beef short ribs) was not really that great a dish. The accompanyment and garnish were lacking. He gave such hype to this dish, and not only did it not live up to the hype, it was flat out disappointing.

I called in the early afternoon to make a reservation, and when we arrived, they said that I had never called to leave a reservation. In fact, the hostess was flat out rude to us. To make matters worse, the hostess sat us and took our drink order. Then another waiter took over, gave us one of the 3 drinks we ordered and disappeared for about 10 minutes. We had to grab hold of him as he was passing by to get the rest of our beverages.

We went there when it was under different management years ago, called Oggi's--for my birthday. NIGHTMARE. In fact, my mother actually got into an argument with the staff, after they ignored us for about 15 minutes, while hiding in the kitchen. My mother, completely out of character, actually went in to the kitchen to voice her mind. It was a disaster.

Being open minded, I decidet that we'd give it another chance. So, we went last year, and it was a delight. However, after our third trip on Monday I don't think I'll ever go back. There are too many restaurants around that have food that is just as good or better; priced more reasonably; and have a friendlier, more attentive staff.

Amazing how terrible service can make decent food irrelevent.

By now, I think it's confirmed that most everyone on this board would recommend Trattoria Fresco as one of the best Italian spots in the area.

Better Italian Restaurants in the area:

Libretti's, Orange

Luigi's, East Hanover

Benvenuti, East Hanover

Belmont Tavern, Bloomfield

Bellisimo's, Little Falls

Primavera, West Orange

...just to name a few off the top of my head.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

In my opinion, Bellisimo's is a caricature of a high end New Jersey Italian restaurant. From the dealership of Mercedes out front to the Opus One crap on the wine list, it gives the impression that it must be great. Why else would all those rich people eat there?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

In my opinion, Bellisimo's is a caricature of a high end New Jersey Italian restaurant. From the dealership of Mercedes out front to the Opus One crap on the wine list, it gives the impression that it must be great. Why else would all those rich people eat there?

a friend just emailed and assured me that some people don't have a clue.

Ok, Ok, admittedly, I was a bit overadamant about my disappointment in Tratoria Fresco that I just threw out a group of restaurants that I enjoyed more.

We were treated so poorly that the food, which I truly didn't find to be splendid, wasn't good enough to rescue them.

-

Tommy, I've had such better food and service from the Belmont Tavern, which serves traditional, old school Italian. The menu may be limited, and the place may be a dive, but the food hits home.

-

Haven't been to Bellisimo's in quite some time so it my review is based on pleasant memories.

-

Rosie, I have been to the new location of Primavera. The setting is a bit nicer. Probably just due to the newness of it more than anything. To be honest, same exact thing, just a quarter of a mile down the street. It has its own separate entrance. You'd hardly know it was attached to a hotel.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Have actually been hearing from regulars that go to Bellisimo that it is not as "good" as it used to be. Also, owner opened and closed a restaurant "Oyster Bay" in Fairfield within a very short time.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I called in the early afternoon to make a reservation, and when we arrived, they said that I had never called to leave a reservation.  In fact, the hostess was flat out rude to us.

It never ceases to amaze me what some diners will put up with (or, to coin Churchill's phrase -- up with which diners will put :biggrin: ). I'm referring not so much to the fact that they couldn't find your reservation -- admittedly not a good thing -- but to the hostess's rudeness. If my husband and I had been treated rudely, we would have been out of there like a flash!

Actually, something sort of similar happend to us at a restaurant in NYC during the summer. We made the reservation only 2 hours before the specified time and asked to sit in their outdoor garden. No problem. When we arrived, the hostess couldn't seem to find our reservation. Rather flustered -- and with good reason -- she consulted another staff member. She then asked if we would be willing to sit indoors. Our answer was a firm "No!" (This was our first visit to this restaurant, and we picked it not only to try out the food but because they have a garden.) For the next few minutes, she alternated between consulting this other staff member and going back and forth from the front of the restaurant to the rear garden. My husband and I became increasingly annoyed and finally decided that if she did not seat us in another minute, we were going to leave, at which point, she came over to us, menus in hand, and led us to the garden. She wasn't gracious about their mistake, nor did she apologize (another reason we were considering leaving). But she wasn't rude. And when I didn't like the table she offered us and indicated one that I preferred, she gave us the preferred table without an argument.

Recently our party of four had dinner and loved it.

Started with Frito Misto and Goat cheese Dumplings. Outstanding

The seafood was impeccably fresh and cooked perfectly. The goat cheese dumplings were so tasty. I would order both again.

Three of us had the skirt which fankly was extremely thin and strong in taste due to the marinade yet still too chewy and yes we all know how to cut skirt.

Served with potatos and fresh spinach, the potato was so flavorful with hints of garlic and that fabulous crunchy outer crust and so mellow and soft potato filling.

One of the party had a fish dish, also fresh and tasty and was the winning entree of the evening.

The service was pleasant and attentive.

And, in spite of the skirt, the totality of the food offering was high in quality and taste and I would return anytime.