• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

super-hopped beers

As a followup the the PNW question, what are your thoughts on the super-hopped beers (HopDevil, etc) that seem to be part of a growing trend? Personally, I enjoy them from time to time, but find them to be incredibly unbalanced and hard to drink as a session beer.

If you find it hard to drink these as a session beer, then don’t! There are many other styles of beer available.

I am an unabashed hop-head. India Pale Ale is probably as close as I get to a session beer, and I really like Double IPA’s. Usually, I don’t drink more than one or two of the same beer before moving on to something different. Variety!

If you are suffering from “hop fatigue” then try something malty like a Scottish or Old Ale. Cleanse the sweetness from that with the tartness of a Lambic or Berliner Weisse.

Choose each beer to fit your taste at the moment and enjoy!

Life's a journey... pack a cooler!