• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking at Home with the CIA (lots of pictures)

Rachel Perlow

In particular (and correct me if I'm wrong, Rachel), if the CIA lists one cup of flour as 4.4 ounces (or 125 grams, which is even more accurate), do they specify weights for sifted AP flour, lightly spooned AP flour and dip-and-sweep AP flour?  Sure hope so.  Or perhaps they avoid this by stating in the beginning of the book that they use only the dip/sweep method in ALL their recipes?  All this should be clearly stated in order to obtain as close to perfect as possible results.

From the sidebar on page 21: "Dry ingredients throughout this book were measured using the scoop-and-sweep method: Whisk the dry ingredient to aerate it if necessary and then scoop it into the measuring cup. Overfill the measuring cup or spoon and then level it off with a knife. Flour should not be packed into a measuring cup, whereas brown sugar should be."

How many people have posted here with strong opinions in favor of metric weight measures? Enough to represent a sampling that no author or publisher would want to ignore, I think. I mean, you've got to figure that for every consumer who is willing to take the time to articulate an opinion in a publicly readable forum there are thousands of silent ones who agree. And almost everybody (Wendy is the only exception that jumps out at me) who has posted here is an amateur home cook -- and I bet a lot of us are significant cookbook consumers.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How many people have posted here with strong opinions in favor of metric weight measures? Enough to represent a sampling that no author or publisher would want to ignore, I think. I mean, you've got to figure that for every consumer who is willing to take the time to articulate an opinion in a publicly readable forum there are thousands of silent ones who agree. And almost everybody (Wendy is the only exception that jumps out at me) who has posted here is an amateur home cook -- and I bet a lot of us are significant cookbook consumers.

Add me to the sampling. I won't be buying any more cookbooks without weight measures.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

And let's put an end to end to any sense that having conversion tables in the back of the book is an adequate compromise or middle ground on this weight versus volume issue. That's just more laziness on the part of the dumbed-down cookbook cabal.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

And let's put an end to end to any sense that having conversion tables in the back of the book is an adequate compromise or middle ground on this weight versus volume issue. That's just more laziness on the part of the dumbed-down cookbook cabal.

Okay, fine. You sold me. I'm not willing to forgive them any more.

But this newfangled metric stuff-- do we have to insist on that too?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

It doesn't make any difference to me whether the weights are in grams or ounces, because I can just flip a switch on my scale to do one or the other and the quarter-ounces provide sufficient precision, but the standard in every professional pastry kitchen I know of, everywhere in the Western world including the US, is grams.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Okay, fine. You sold me. I'm not willing to forgive them any more.

Now, if my scale could display decimal fractions of an ounce instead of quarters of an ounce, and if it didn't have to switch to pounds:ounces as soon as it goes over one pound it wouldn't make any difference to use metric or imperial. But many of the newer digital scales have 1/4 ounce resolution in imperial and 1 gram resolution in metric -- it's as if suddenly the scale becomes eight times smarter when you switch to metric. There's a big difference between 1/4 and 1/2 ounce of salt or yeast in bread for example.

Anyway, the CIA Home Baking book will have a list price higher than a low end digital scale, so there's absolutely no economic rationale for not using weights in the book. Laziness doesn't explain it either, because they actually had to "dumb down" existing recipes (OK, formulas). The only explanation left is that they think their intended readers are too dumb to handle the weights.

Guess I won't be buying "Baking for dummies with the CIA"

Edited a typo.

Edited by JerzyMade (log)

The difference between theory and practice is much smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Flour should not be packed into a measuring cup, whereas brown sugar should be."

Does anyone know how much one cup of brown sugar, packed weighs? There are different degrees of packed so this actually makes a difference. And therein lies my complaint with volumes.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Flour should not be packed into a measuring cup, whereas brown sugar should be."

Does anyone know how much one cup of brown sugar, packed weighs? There are different degrees of packed so this actually makes a difference. And therein lies my complaint with volumes.

I go with the 7.66 ounces/218 grams for light brown; 8.4 ounces/240 grams for dark brown, firmly packed.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I was kidding, people.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"