• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Covered Pork Rinds

aliwaks

Feel that rumble underground? That's twelve generations (300 hundred years, more or less) of Brussel's chocolatiers spinning in their graves!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Yi-eee.

Although I suppose now is not the time to confess that in my darker moments, during the last weeks of dieting before my last show, I actually contemplated dragging out a medieval recipe I have for a sweet pudding made of pounded chicken breast and almond milk, and seeing what I could do with Splenda.

Amazon customer review
YUM! Now I satisfy my pork and chocolate cravings all in one neat package! This stuff rocks. Belgian chocolate...need I say more?

As I understand it, it's fairly normal for the first few reveiws on Amazon to be posted by freinds and family... :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

The big problem is that their "Belgian Sugar-Free Chocolate" seems to use that Malitol crap. I mean... pig and chocolate together isn't necessarily gross (as I sit here contemplating a Molé Poblano Smothered Pork Chop).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hey, couldn't you at least have used an eGullet commissioned Amazon link? :wink:

Here it is: Pork ChocsTM - Sugar Free Milk Chocolate Dipped Pork Rinds

What's even more funny, is that since you clicked on Pork Chocs, they think you may also be interested in Natural Skunk Scent and Owl Puke. :laugh:

Sorry Rachel, had no idea how to do that, am hopelessly computer challenged, thanks for helping out...feel free to edit if you like

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I think it sounds interesting. Especially if the pork rinds are salty enough.

The sweet flavor of chocolate followed by the salty flavor of the pork?

Interesting.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Ok, but how desperately weird is it, really? Chocolate-covered salty pretzels are majorly delish, in my book. And when I was a kid, my father brought home chocolate-covered swiss cheese from a business trip to Zurich. (That was revolting.) But seriously, pork rinds are mostly kinda crunch + salty; there isn't a whole lot of porkiness going on.

And why would porkiness make it weird?

As I said, Molé Poblano + Pork Chops = Good eating. It's not weird at all. What's weird is putting SUGAR on Pork--real OR fake. Molé has certainly got SOME sugar in it, but it's a bit down the list of ingredients, and I can't even imagine wanting to taste Malitol on Pork.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

What's weird is putting SUGAR on Pork--real OR fake.

:biggrin: Tell that to the Honey-Glazed Ham people -- not to mention all the folks who devour ribs with barbaque sauce or red-cooked pork or, ummm....bacon.

Ummm, but I can't help but notice the other items that are suggested as something that I might like as well:

Natural Skunk Scent

Owl Puke

The Little Book of Farting

:blink:

...I might like...

The Little Book of Farting

wrote beans.

I will completely bypass any comments on affinities between nicknames and reading choices...and move on to a story.

If you actually click on The Little Book of Farting, you'll see this page, which pairs the book with a little title called Walter, The Farting Dog.

My 5-year old son James attends an international school in Tokyo, with kids of any number of nationalities. One of the benefits of this sort of exposure is that one gains an insight into certain quirks and fetishes particularly strong in each culture. Among Koreans, there is an astoundingly strong and deep penchant for toilet humor.

(One disclaimer -- Anyone who knows me also knows that I am a huge Koreaphile, so I hope no one will take any of this the wrong way.)

The school has a program called "Mystery Reader", which features a parent making a surprise appearance to read a couple of his or her child's favorite books.

The day that the Kwon parents were invited to read, James came home talking about this book that he absolutely must acquire -- The "Varting" Dog. After a good deal of questioning, I realized it was The Farting Dog. (*)

To this day, when James wants to be really naughty, he makes a "vart" joke.

Jim

(*) The hangul alphabet has no v or f, making b and p do double duty and creating occasional bits of humorous confusion.

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

• 3 months later...
I would eat these in a second if I saw them in a store, but I'm not sending away for 'em.

Ukranian Snickers? :laugh: Maybe, just maybe, beercancan,your local gourmet food shop has something similar for you to try ... or can order some if you really are enthusiastic about trying ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"