• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exito in Inwood

LJC

I took the Fordham U. Bridge into Inwood last week and noticed a discount beverage warehouse. I found some great deals and some obscure Latin beers that are hard to come by elsewhere (i.e. Cerveza Aguila) as well as lots of different sodas etc. When I left I passed Exito which is sort of the Wal Mart of Colombia. It turns out that this is a supermarket specializing in Latin American produce and other imported products (not affiliated with Exito of Colombia they just use the recognizable name). I didn't have time to shop but I keep wondering if it's worth a special trip? Has anybody been?

No, but if no one knows any other details I'll volunteer to schlep, investigate, and report back. It's in my 'hood.

:smile:

Jamie

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

That would be great. I look forward to you post.

BTW, how do you like living up there? I am going to start looking at apartments in Ft. Washington soon.

Have you eaten at a Dominican (I think) Restaurant on 207th just east of the subway station on the south side of the St.? I ate there about two months ago and loved it. They made the best patacones (tostones) I have ever had.

There are several decent restaurants along there (as well as the best 99 cent store in the city, IMHO!) so not sure which one. I'll PM you about the nabe.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

• 2 weeks later...

I was back in the area again and I still can't get over the bargains at the beverage place. cs. of beer (imported) $19-24; cs. of soda cans $6.50; cs. Poland Springs 16oz blts $4.60.

Exito was interesting; it is basically a supermarket that has some lationcentric items like goya beans in 28oz cans, huge bags of rice (10lbs) and a great produce section. I did note that some fruits (mangos) were a bit past their prime but still a great selection and mostly really nice looking stuff at great prices (pineapples were $4 each). They also have a butcher section that reminds me of being in latin america with a huge offal selection; cow and pig feet, intestines, tails etc.

Thanks for the followup--I and my gimpy leg still haven't gotten down there. But I haven't forgotten...it sounds even better now.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

• 2 weeks later...
What's the address for Exito, and how close is it to the A train?

Still haven't gotten there, but if it's the place I'm thinking of, it's a block from the 207th street 1 train stop, at the base of the bridge across from Pathmark. A few blocks farther down 207th from the A.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

I just took the Bx 12 Bus from 207 to Arthur Avenue today and I saw several huge places today that fit your description. There was a huge wharehouse of Beers and Sodas. I wonder if that was it. I live up in wash. heights and I will try to make a trip soon as well.

• 2 weeks later...

As LJC etc. reported, the two establishments in Inwood: first is the discount beverage warehouse opposite Pathmark on the Manhattan side of the 207th St. bridge at the corner of 207th St. and 9th Ave., one block east of the 1 @ 207th St. (it's a whole different 9th Ave. up here! :raz: ); second is Exito, the large grocery store one block south on 9th Ave.

The discount beverage warehouse (no name for it on the outside, but the receipt says Flair Beverage) is indeed enormous and inexpensive and seems to cater to people purchasing large quantities, although they also have excellent pricing for smaller-than-case quantities of everything, both 4-and-6 packs and individual bottles. The front of the warehouse is devoted to a large range of non-alcoholic beverages, malt liquors, etc., with the back containing beer of various provenance.

Most people were wheeling out huge carts with many cases of whatever, but employees and management were all very friendly and helpful and had no issue whatsoever with our one-bottle-of-this-and-two-bottles-of-that purchase. We bought two bottles of D&G non-alcoholic ginger beer (.60 each; all prices including deposit), one 28-oz. bottle of Manhattan Special Espresso Coffee Soda (.45, although we may have been charged the small-bottle price), one bottle of Ting Jamaican Grapefruit Soda (.85), one 12 oz. bottle of Lambic Framboise ($4.34; they also had the larger bottles and all the various flavors), and one six-pack of Shandy Carib (alcoholic ginger beer from Trinidad; $6.09). Total with tax was $14.00, and the entertainment value alone was at least that.

I'm not very beer-knowledgable, but it seemed that nearly every Central and South American country was represented by at least one beer, most of which I'd never heard of. And, as an aside, I now have four varieties of ginger beer in the fridge. It's my favorite beverage; I may have to post a taste-off :wub:

Exito is a large basic grocery store that caters to the Latin American community that surrounds it. Outside, a good selection of produce; inside a decent selection of American name-brand, store brand (Krasdale) and a wide variety of Latin American brands (Goya and many, many more.) In addition, as mentioned, a wide variety of beef, pork, chicken, and offal. A partial offal list: tripe, pig ears, tongue, hoofs, intestines, liver, gizzards, chicken feet, gargantuan pig legs, and hearts. Of note is that everything was fresh and not frozen; they seemed to have a good turnover.

Prices here are cheap, even cheaper than the other neighborhood grocery stores which themselves are cheaper-than-average.

I'm going to be dragging my cart over here on a regular basis.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

How long has Exito been there? It's exciting for me to hear about good things in Inwood. I love that part of town, and have spent a fair amount of time housesitting up there, a block from Inwood Hill Park. I found it to be a very green part of town; the two parks up there (Inwood Hill and Fort Tryon) are awesome! There is a little cafe/restaurant associated with the Cloisters, the New Leaf, I believe it's called, which makes lovely, delicious food. Great coffee, too! I believe there is a bar there, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I was back in the area again and picked up a great assortment of Fruits and Veggies for an unbeatable price. Limes (10 for $1), baby eggplant, peppers, kiwi (4 for $1), a papaya, a pineapple, green plantains (4 for $1), Mangos (2 for $1), and Coconuts. All of this (3 shopping bags) cost me only $13!